Quiet So Far!!!

vafamily5

Although we're sure to see at least a few tropical storms in the Gulf I don't think we're in for a very rough season.

I've watched hurricane patterns for ages (I'm a pilot and sort of obsessed with weather...) and it doesn't look like there's much to support a storm when and if one develops.

Then again, professional forecasters can't predict what tomorrow's weather is going to be like with any accuracy so who am I to say??? :rolleyes:

It has been quiet but the beginning of the peak season is about to start (August), so things should start to become more active. I particiapte on another weather board,and some folks think that a stationary high will develop off the east coast and push most storms headed to the east coast out to sea or to the south,which makes the gulf a little more vulnerable for storms. As stated in previous posts,it really a guess what will happen..:rolleyes:

BNT20 KNHC 200901

TWOAT

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK

NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL 530 AM EDT FRI JUL 20 2007

FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...

A TROPICAL WAVE IS PRODUCING CLOUDINESS AND SHOWERS FROM THE EASTERN CARIBBEAN SEA NORTHWARD ACROSS THE LEEWARD ISLANDS AND THE ADJACENT ATLANTIC. THERE ARE NO SIGNS OF A CLOSED SURFACE CIRCULATION AT THIS TIME...AND DEVELOPMENT...IF ANY...SHOULD BE SLOW TO OCCUR. THE SHOWER ACTIVITY IS EXPECTED TO SPREAD OVER PUERTO RICO AND HISPANIOLA TODAY.

ELSEWHERE...TROPICAL CYCLONE FORMATION IS NOT EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS.

It has been quiet but the beginning of the peak season is about to start (August), so things should start to become more active. I particiapte on another weather board,and some folks think that a stationary high will develop off the east coast and push most storms headed to the east coast out to sea or to the south,which makes the gulf a little more vulnerable for storms. As stated in previous posts,it really a guess what will happen..:rolleyes:

BNT20 KNHC 200901

TWOAT

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK

NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL 530 AM EDT FRI JUL 20 2007

FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...

A TROPICAL WAVE IS PRODUCING CLOUDINESS AND SHOWERS FROM THE EASTERN CARIBBEAN SEA NORTHWARD ACROSS THE LEEWARD ISLANDS AND THE ADJACENT ATLANTIC. THERE ARE NO SIGNS OF A CLOSED SURFACE CIRCULATION AT THIS TIME...AND DEVELOPMENT...IF ANY...SHOULD BE SLOW TO OCCUR. THE SHOWER ACTIVITY IS EXPECTED TO SPREAD OVER PUERTO RICO AND HISPANIOLA TODAY.

ELSEWHERE...TROPICAL CYCLONE FORMATION IS NOT EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS.

Even though US forecasters have predicted a strong hurricane season...Ive read that British forecasters disagree. They predict a less than average season due to a strong La Nina... Im hoping it holds off till after my cruise on Aug 19th..went the same time last year...and it was smooth sailing... Personally as long as the trip isnt cancelled its fine with me...even if we head to New England...

Even though US forecasters have predicted a strong hurricane season...Ive read that British forecasters disagree. They predict a less than average season due to a strong La Nina...

The LACK of the La Nina effect is the reason I feel it's going to be a fairly mild hurricane season. Forecasters had anticipated a strong La Nina effect due to the rapid demise of El Nino and an apparently significant decrease in the sub-surface water temps in the Eastern Pacific.

Oddly, and ain't that the way it is with weather, the La Nina failed to develop. Many hurricane forecasters had been betting on the La Nina to do it's dirty work, as in the past, and be the impetus for a busy season.

No La Nina, slow hurricane season, perhaps.

An educated guess is still a guess...

;)

Being we cruise the first week of September, you can guess how long I want to see it be a quiet season. I read on a blog here that last year did not meet the numbers that were predicted, and I hope that this year doesnt either. This will be our first cruise in the Atlantic durring hurricane season.

two_atl.gif

000ABNT20 KNHC 231523TWOAT TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOKNWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL1130 AM EDT MON JUL 23 2007FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...1. A WEAK AREA OF LOW PRESSURE CENTERED ABOUT 350 MILES NORTH OFBERMUDA IS MOVING NORTHWARD. THE ASSOCIATED SHOWER ACTIVITY ISCURRENTLY MINIMAL...AND DEVELOPMENT IS UNLIKELY BEFORE THE SYSTEMMOVES OVER COLDER SEA SURFACE TEMPERATURES NORTH OF THE GULFSTREAM. ELSEWHERE...TROPICAL CYCLONE FORMATION IS NOT EXPECTED DURING THENEXT 48 HOURS.

Atlantic Graphical Tropical Weather Outlook

Note: This product is updated at approximately 11:30 AM and 10:30 PM EDT

</DIV>Place your mouse cursor over areas of interest for more information

two_atl.gif

000ABNT20 KNHC 250219TWOAT TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOKNWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL1030 PM EDT TUE JUL 24 2007FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...TROPICAL CYCLONE FORMATION IS NOT EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS.

Please, please, please let it be quiet until at least 8/26 when we get OFF our ship! :D

We went through the southern perimeter of Hurricane Katrina and had to have our return port changed from Tampa to Ft. Lauderdale since we couldn't return to West Florida safely at the time. So we have had a taste of cruising during hurricane season!!

Please, please, please let it be quiet until at least 8/26 when we get OFF our ship! :D

We went through the southern perimeter of Hurricane Katrina and had to have our return port changed from Tampa to Ft. Lauderdale since we couldn't return to West Florida safely at the time. So we have had a taste of cruising during hurricane season!!

I'm praying for it to be quiet until this date as well!!!

How did that work? What happened to the people who had flights out of Tampa and left cars in Tampa? did Carnival help out at all?

How did that work? What happened to the people who had flights out of Tampa and left cars in Tampa? did Carnival help out at all?

Good question - I should have explained. Carnival chartered buses to take passengers back to Tampa. For those who booked their air through CCL, they rebooked them to fly out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. Carnival really did everything they could to help everyone. Many people obviously missed their flights due to the 4+ hour drive back to Tampa. We were fortunate enough to rebook our flight for around 5:00 PM.

Archived