Snorkel Gear..Rent or Buy?

mata2635

if you're gonna buy, you're better off buying before you get here. the same gear can be up to 50% more here. you didn't say what beaches you were planning to go to, but i'll assume tobacco bay, horseshoe and church bays. it may be well worth it to call them and get a price for rental gear and go from there.

Will be in Bermuda on the Majesty August 7-10th. I'm leaning towarding buying 3 sets of snorkeling gear rather than renting each time at a beach.

Any advice?

Thank you

It is better to buy for several reasons. I buy a mask to fit my face so it won't leak. For a proper fit I buy it at a dive shop. Costs more but I have a much better snorkeling experiance when water does not leak into the mask. The snorkel I buy because that goes in my mouth. I don't really want to rent one that has been in other peoples mouths. Finally, some great snorkeling locations don't have rentals.

after running snorkel trips here for the past 20 years, here's what i've discovered

just because a mask doesn't leak AIR in the dive shop doesn't mean it won't leak WATER once overboard.

a leak-free mask is rare no matter what anyone tells you. some poeple have facial features that will guarantee leaks ie facial hair and deep smile lines. keep in mind that mask was built for the "average face". is your face average? it is considered normal for a mask to have a drip. this is why scuba divers are taught how to clear their masks whilst submerged. if there's a steady stream you are either wearing the mask wrong or it's the wrong mask for your face. go back to the rental shop and get another.

how often will you use the gear? 2-3 times per year? take that into consideration. as far as hygiene goes, the rental shops disinfect gear using bleach and water right at the counter. i'm guessing charles takes his own fork and knife when he eats out! and finally - the best snorkelling sites accessible from the beach do have rental facilities.

if you decide to buy i recommend crystal silicone masks. the silicone rubber used to make the gasket is softer and will conform to your face better and go for a glass lens for scratch resistance and better optics.

after running snorkel trips here for the past 20 years, here's what i've discovered

just because a mask doesn't leak AIR in the dive shop doesn't mean it won't leak WATER once overboard.

a leak-free mask is rare no matter what anyone tells you. some poeple have facial features that will guarantee leaks ie facial hair and deep smile lines. keep in mind that mask was built for the "average face". is your face average? it is considered normal for a mask to have a drip. this is why scuba divers are taught how to clear their masks whilst submerged. if there's a steady stream you are either wearing the mask wrong or it's the wrong mask for your face. go back to the rental shop and get another.

how often will you use the gear? 2-3 times per year? take that into consideration. as far as hygiene goes, the rental shops disinfect gear using bleach and water right at the counter. i'm guessing charles takes his own fork and knife when he eats out! and finally - the best snorkelling sites accessible from the beach do have rental facilities.

if you decide to buy i recommend crystal silicone masks. the silicone rubber used to make the gasket is softer and will conform to your face better and go for a glass lens for scratch resistance and better optics.

I said it was better to buy but I am not opposed to rentals. When I started snorkeling 30 years ago I had several experiences with leaks. After I bought a mask at a dive shop on someone's recommendation that was fitted to my face I have not had a leak problem since, and I have been snorkeling every year. Many probably can get by with cheap masks that are not fitted. It depends on your face. As far as going back to the rental shop for another, that is hoping they have a selection. And last December when I was snorkeing in Bonaire they ran out of rental masks at a beach we were at so some who did not have their own gear were out of luck.

As far as them disinfecting the snorkels. They do throw them all together in a bucket with bleach. I would rather use my own snorkel in my mouth.

Archived