Question re arrival berth in NY

navylark

I am arriving on the QM2 after a transatlantic trip from Southhampton. My wife and I are bringing her elderly mother as a 'new adventure' trip to visit friends in New Jersey. We leave the US from Newark airport a week after arrival on QM2.

We need a hire car but I have been told that it is 'impossible' to pickup a hire car at the QM2 terminal. Is this true? If so it seems to me the best plan is to hire one from Newark airport - thus it will be easy to return the car there.

Are taxis available at the QM2 terminal to get us to Newark?

Cunard offer a limousine transfer to Newark at £192 - at todays exchange rate that is over $380 - which seems high - is it?

Any ideas or comments on this problem would be most welcome.

Navylark

Many thanks for the info re Enterprise.

The problem then is that they have no drop off facility at Newark Airport and that is really essential as we fly back from there one week after arrival on QM2

Navylark

Once a librarian, always a librarian. I went back to the Enterprise internet site -- there's a facility near the airport in Newark. I imagine there is airport pickup.

NEWARK INTL A/P (OFF-SITE)

408 US HIGHWAY 1

NEWARK, NJ 07114

Tel.: (973) 242-3400

I've been investigating similar information -- we're flying into Long Island and needed to get to the cruise terminal. When I contacted Enterprise, I was told that the drop off charge for returning the car to a different location would be around $75. Even with the drop off charge, renting a car and driving ourselves from this airport to pier was cheaper than a car/limo service. Hope this helps.

MW

Navylark,

You will have not trouble at all getting a cab at the Brooklyn Terminal. There were dozens of taxis available following our cruise last July.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan!! Nice to see you around again!! And what is that I read about a wedding honeymoon coming up in a few months? Congratulations! What a great way to do it!

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

Originally Posted by Patwell

Hi Jonathan!! Nice to see you around again!! And what is that I read about a wedding honeymoon coming up in a few months? Congratulations! What a great way to do it!

Cheers, Penny

Hi Penny,

Always nice to receive a warm welcome from you. Yes, we're getting married on the ms Noordam next April and then going Transatlantic to Rome.

We would have loved to have celebrated the happy day on our beloved QM2 but, alas they don't handle these type of events.

I certainly hope that someday soon our cruising itineraries match and we get a chance to meet you in person.

Regards,

Jonathan;)

Jonathan!

Congratulations to you both!

Too bad it couldn't have been on the QE2!

But the Noordam is a lovely ship. Deluxe Verandah Suite I hope! Marvelous cabin. We had one on our Christmas Westerdam. And the Duvets and sheets and the new beds are fabulous.

and lots of various kinds of trivia games on board!

Congrats!

Karie,

your trivia rival!

Jonathan!

Congratulations to you both!

Too bad it couldn't have been on the QE2!

But the Noordam is a lovely ship. Deluxe Verandah Suite I hope! Marvelous cabin. We had one on our Christmas Westerdam. And the Duvets and sheets and the new beds are fabulous.

and lots of various kinds of trivia games on board!

Congrats!

Karie,

your trivia rival!

Thanks Karie,

Nice to hear from you again. Some excellent voyages you and Mark have lined up there. Yes, we're booked in an SS cabin on the Noordam. She's a lovely ship. We're partial to the large balcony and the excellent ammenities.

Although Elene and I are quite homesick for the QM2 and very eager to get back aboard in the very near future. We look forward to another cage match Trivia bout in the Golden Lion Pub, fire up the BBC's and we'll see you soon.

Jonathan;)

Congratulations Jonathan ! Sail well and happily aboard the Noordam... That is great way to start off your married life...Hopefully Captain Scott will be there to officiate....(A wonderful Captain and gentleman who spent more than the anticipated time with us during our Renewal Vows ceremony last January . . .He shared quite a bit about his life at sea!)

Hi Namvet4,

Thanks very much for your well wishes, we appreciate it. We certainly hope Captain Scott will make an appearance, he is a very friendly fellow. Unfortunately, Princess is the only shipping line where the captain is allowed to perform the ceremony. But, we're thrilled to be able to celebrate our wedding on a ship.

We were actually inspired by a couple who were married on our trip this past January. You will have some marvelous adventures on the QM2 next February. We took that trip in 2006 and adored it. Don't miss the Panama Railroad Excursion, it's a great trip on some restored and very comfortable trains.

Jonathan

Hi Jonthan... I have no doubt that it will be a very special moment on the Noordam and you won't even think of QM2 at all!!

And I look forward to the day our paths cross onboard as well...Nov 10th this year, Nov 9th next year and possibly QV in May to Norway (if I can get my non-flying bones on a plane:eek: )

Cheers, Penny

Hi Jonthan... I have no doubt that it will be a very special moment on the Noordam and you won't even think of QM2 at all!!

And I look forward to the day our paths cross onboard as well...Nov 10th this year, Nov 9th next year and possibly QV in May to Norway (if I can get my non-flying bones on a plane:eek: )

Cheers, Penny

Hi Penny,

It will most definitely be a magical day on the Noordam. We're very excited to have friends and family shipboard. Did you not fly to Florida for you original "Affair to Remember" on the QM2. Did you by any chance take the train, how was that trip?

I would rather take the train than plane given the choice. Will have to keep one of those November QM2 dates in mind.

Jonathan

Hi Penny,

It will most definitely be a magical day on the Noordam. We're very excited to have friends and family shipboard. Did you not fly to Florida for you original "Affair to Remember" on the QM2. Did you by any chance take the train, how was that trip?

I would rather take the train than plane given the choice. Will have to keep one of those November QM2 dates in mind.

Jonathan

Nope, didn't fly to Florida. We also have a little beach house down there only an hour and a half from Lauderdale so we spent the month down there before the cruise. This time we'll have to drive up from South Carolina. I haven't flown in 20 years!!:eek: But the trip to Norway back to my roots is tempting beyond belief as I've not been "home" in a long time. Claustrophobia is a nasty thing!

Beth (Imacruizer) who was my original roll call mate last year and then had to drop out will be on with us this November so after 2 years of online friendship we will finally get to meet!! what fun to meet CC friends finally.

Cheers, Penny

the closest national car rental to the Brooklyn Cruise terminal is Avis at atlantic avenue and court street. ts a full service center which is open everyday. Enterprise is a franchise...like dominos. They tend to charge when you drop off cars, which Avis sometimes does and sometimes doesn't. They will also pick you up at the pier or you can take a short cab ride and then come back and get your other passengers and luggage. Most enterprise offices in Brooklyn are closed on Sunday and most of Saturday if that is when you are coming.

Archived