semi casual/formal dinning attire...what I saw

crissyp

Hi...Just back from my first Princess cruise...we sailed on the Crown 7/5 - 7/14. I just though I would let you all know what I noticed both on semi- casual and formal nights if you are interested.

Semi-casual/women...Many capris, nice tops...some jeans on Men with nice dress shirts, some sun dresses, and then some pant suits. Did not notice anyone with shorts...But I did see many women wearing dressy bermuda shorts, nice tops and heels.

Semi-casual/men......dockers, khaki's, golf type shirts, dress shirts....and yes, many with jeans and nice dress shirts! Did not notice any shorts on men in the dining rooms.

Formal nights/women....I would say 33% dressy pantsuits, 50% dressy cocktail dresses and the rest in gowns.. It seemed that most of the older teen girls wore gowns, probably their prom dresses, and some women dressed like they were meeting the Queen.

Formal nights/men.....Some tuxedo's, not as many as I thought...Mostly suits and ties, some men had sport jackets, no tie, and slacks...I even saw some men with just dress shirts and no jackets.

On our last night on the ship however, I did notice plenty of men wearing shorts...I guess they planned on wearing that same outfit off the ship the next day.

Never saw anyone turned away from dining for any reason. What I learned for my next cruise, I would not stress out about formal nites as much as I did.

Have fun future cruisers,

Crislsy

Hi...Just back from my first Princess cruise...we sailed on the Crown 7/5 - 7/14. I just though I would let you all know what I noticed both on semi- casual and formal nights if you are interested.

Semi-casual/women...Many capris, nice tops...some jeans on Men with nice dress shirts, some sun dresses, and then some pant suits. Did not notice anyone with shorts...But I did see many women wearing dressy bermuda shorts, nice tops and heels.

Semi-casual/men......dockers, khaki's, golf type shirts, dress shirts....and yes, many with jeans and nice dress shirts! Did not notice any shorts on men in the dining rooms.

Formal nights/women....I would say 33% dressy pantsuits, 50% dressy cocktail dresses and the rest in gowns.. It seemed that most of the older teen girls wore gowns, probably their prom dresses, and some women dressed like they were meeting the Queen.

Formal nights/men.....Some tuxedo's, not as many as I thought...Mostly suits and ties, some men had sport jackets, no tie, and slacks...I even saw some men with just dress shirts and no jackets.

What I learned for my next cruise, I would not stress out about formal nites as much as I did...

I never stressed...I simply dressed formally, which I and my son both thoroughly enjoy. And I have no problems with anyone dressing like they are meeting the queen, in fact, we were probably dressed that way ourselves. ;)

It is hard to imagine being stressed about clothing or about dressing for a cruise (or anywhere else). Personally, I love clothes and fashion and dress in outfits that make me feel great and are appropriate for the occasion - and that fit the dress codes of the ship/hotel/restaurant, etc. My only stress is finding room in my closet and the opportunity to wear all of my great finds.:D

Really, why bother to have formal nights/informal nights, etc.? I especially dislike the shorts at dinner trend, since most every line specifically prohibits them.

I just returned for the Caribbean Princess and I also noticed that people were dressed more casually that I thought they would be. I know I stressed myself out because I had to arrange outfits for all five in my family including two 12 year old boys. They wore dress pants every night with a polo or short sleeved button down shirt and a dress jacket and tie on formal night. They looked more dressed up each night than most of the adult males :rolleyes:

I even saw men dressed in slacks and a polo shirt or hawaiian shirt on formal night. One table of 8 couples that were acquainted had all the men looking nice in suits except one guy in a wrinkled polo shirt. And they were taking some group pictures at their table. He stuck out like a sore thumb.

Oh well. To all of you planning your cruise, do your best to look nice and dress according to the dress code, BUT do not stress and worry that you won't be dressed nice enough. There will be plenty of people in the dining room who are dressed more casually that you are!

Did not notice anyone with shorts...But I did see many women wearing dressy bermuda shorts, nice tops and heels.

???? Shorts are shorts, dressy or not, last time I checked. While agree that some can put together really great outfits with the long shorts, they are still shorts.

I wondered about the Bermuda Shorts look on the dressy side for the non formal nights and I have seen this look and love it! Cache has some gorgeous white bermudas and tops with heels really nice. I plan on this for one night maybe.

I love clothes and I love to dress up!!!! I just don't know why people just can't follow the dress codes. I often hear that people want to be comfortable, they're on vacation, etc. I treat the dining room like an upscale restaurant. I would not wear jeans, my husband would not wear shorts, etc. What is the big deal???? In MHO I think people feel like the meal is already paid for so "I can do what I want." I am planning my daughter's wedding at a very upscale place and people better dress accordingly!!!! Why should a cruise ship be any different!?

:confused: You know I don't get it either.... nowhere in the world is it more convenient to dress formally for dinner than a cruise ship. Where else can you go right from your bedroom to the restaurant without having to put on a coat, go outside, get into a car, find a parking spot, get out of the car, then repeat the process in reverse after dinner?

I won't begrudge those who don't like to dress up, but really what could be easier?

I too think that the look of nice Bermuda shorts in heels with a nice top. I recently returned from a Med cruise and lots of girls and ladies looking very nice in Bermudas and heels.

I don't have a problem with that in the dining room.

Honestly, the woman wearing the Bermuda Shorts, with heals, and dressy tops were more covered than some of the woman i saw wearing very short skirts that they should NOT have been wearing;)

I wondered about the Bermuda Shorts look on the dressy side for the non formal nights and I have seen this look and love it! Cache has some gorgeous white bermudas and tops with heels really nice. I plan on this for one night maybe.

I'm a first time cruiser who was thinking of doing the same. I have a pair of lovely cuffed khaki Bermudas from Ann Taylor (they fall just below the knee). They're so dressy I've taken to wearing them to work with a dressy top and heels, too. Then as I started reading this board, I started worrying that they might not be dressy enough for dressy casual nights!

I'm a first time cruiser who was thinking of doing the same. I have a pair of lovely cuffed khaki Bermudas from Ann Taylor (they fall just below the knee). They're so dressy I've taken to wearing them to work with a dressy top and heels, too. Then as I started reading this board, I started worrying that they might not be dressy enough for dressy casual nights!

You will be just fine in an outfit as described. I just bought two pair to wear with heels, one black and one black with white pinstripe; I wore s pair to dinner at a high end steak house in Dallas last night, paired with a black knit tank and white cardigan with black beading, mid heeled sandals. I really liked the look!

A dressy bermuda shorts outfit would be just fine for dressy casual. Depending on the type of materal and the detail (beads, crystals, etc) on the top it might even be okay for formal nights. Some outfits, like one that I have, come with a jacket which dresses it up, too.

The important thing is that you are comfortable enough in whatever outfit you choose to do everything you want to do that night, go to a show, dance, whatever, and have a good time and FEEL good and LOOK good doing it. It's YOUR cruise. You worked hard for the money to pay for it. You're the boss here. Do what works for you. (Be thankful all over again that you aren't the Queen. Most of her outfits are dictated by custom, tradition, and protocol.) If nothing else, be a trendsetter! :D And have a wonderful time with lots of happy fun-filled memories!! And finally, if all else fails follow the advice of my MIL.... Honey wear whatever you want. You're probably never going to see these people again. ;)

I also have 2 dressy cuffed bermuda shorts, both are pinstriped and come with a matching jacket. I wear them with a nice top and heels and I think it looks very dressy. Thanks for your post. Do you mind if I ask you if you

noticed what ladies in the late 20's early 30's age group wore to the clubs and bars after dinner? Did anyone wear jeans and nice tops with heels? I wasn't sure if I should wear a dress or if jeans would be appropriate once or twice..

Archived