**HELP!** How do we get from Milan or Nice Airport to Savona?

Hi Guys

We are a party of 10 sailing from Savona on 30 September on a 3 day mini-cruise onboard Costa Cruises' Costa Romantica to celebrate a 40th birthday. One of our party is handicapped.

We have sorted out our return flights from Genoa to London, but for the outbound the direct London to Genoa flight is not compatable with our itinerary.

We have found good flights from London to Milan (Linate) or Nice, but Costa are not running their transfers from these airports to Savona that day.

Can anyone recommend how we can get from Milan (Linate) or Nice to Savona quicky and fairly cheaply. The flights arrive in Milan and Nice around 9-11am and the ships sails at 5pm.

Your help is MUCH appreciated!

Cheers

Jill's birthday gang

Under the circumstances that you have a mobility reduced passenger with you I can only highly recommend to ask COSTA for conditions of their airport transfer which is available.

I am sure it's available from Nice and from Milan Malpensa. But I am not sure regarding Milan Linate.

The bus from Nice to Savona only starts at the afternoon and will reach Savona too late.

From Linate you must first get to Milan Central Station and to change to the trains to Savona which goes every 2 hours.

But from Savona station it's not a foot walk to the cruise terminal.

May I recommend under this circumstances to book a car rental?

Regards,

HeinBloed

Dear HeinBloed

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, because we booked our cruise through *** in the USA and not directly through Costa (much cheaper!), their UK office will not allow us to use their transfers and the US office do not offer transfers from Nice or Milan (only Genoa) :mad:

We have been told not to consider renting cars due to the dangerous traffic in Italy. Do you know how or where we might find a (reasonably priced) chauffeur car or mini-bus service to Savona from Nice or Milan?

Also, if we manage to fly to Genoa and land at 1255 on the day of the sailing, is this early enough to make the sailaway from Savona at 1700? The last Costa transfer from Genoa leaves at 1300. Is it far from Genoa Airport to Savona and what is the cheapest way to do it?

Cheers and thanks

Jill's 40th gang

Two places to try---ask on the tripadvisor Genoa board and in the Us several of the larger cities have Italian Toiurism Offices. I called the one in NYC for info on getting from Savonna and Genoa and they were very helpful.

Two Italian sites that MIGHT help are http://www.turismoliguria.it and www.inforiviera.it

Hope this helps.

When I was driving I-95 around Boston, MA I felt more stressed than driving in Northern Italy.

I would never drive South of Rome but I pick-up my parents at Milan Malpensa Airport and took them to Genoa - and it was smooth!!!

So I would really use a car-rental from Milan to Savona.

So you are landing 12.55 hrs from London-Stansted.

You are entering the Schengen-Area from UK.

I. e. Immigration!!!

Collection baggage.

Bus is leaving 13.30 hrs (maybe you are lucky...) - next 14.30 hrs to Genova Piazza Principe Railways Station...

But it's 4 EUR pp and one taxi has a flat rate of 7 EUR to the station (surcharge on Sunday/Holidays 1 EUR pp).

Subject you catch the 13.30 hrs bus or a taxi:

14.17 hrs dep from Genova PP

15.05 hrs arr at Savona

transfer to the port

16.00 hrs end of check-in.

Savona - Genoa is 48 km one way and if you check a limo service like

http://www.rissotaxiserraricco.it/indexingl.html

it's 0,90 EUR/km = about 100 EUR per car for 3-4 persons.

So THEORETICALLY it's possible.

For the worst case you miss the ship: the next stop is Barcelona and so not too bad... but you lost 1/3 of your cruise!!!

Please disregard the next lines if you are not interested to read my personal opinion:

Frankly spoken:

I would not do it!

1. I would not book Ryanair as if there is anything they do not care how you get to Genoa. Maybe they just refund the money and leave you alone with your problem. BA or Air France will try to find alternative solutions to get you there. Maybe under bad circumstances to get you to Barcelona...

2. 12.55 arr in Genoa - 16.00 end of check-in in Savona: I would not do it - for my taste too tough!!!

If you are flying Milan Malpensa or Nice and you see the agent of COSTA at the check-in area you can just ask for availability of the seats in their transfer. The expenses will be put on the board-account.

Hope it was helpful for you!

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived