Info about submarine

nyc1234

Does anyone know how far the submarine (Atlantis) site is from the pier? Can we walk there or do we need a taxi or some form of transportation? What about the site for the semi-sub (Seaworld Explorer)?

Can you take pictures inside the sub/semi sub? If so, should we use a digital camera or do we need the old fashion camera with a high ISO? I think I read somewhere that I shouldn't use flash inside, right?

Does anyone know how far the submarine (Atlantis) site is from the pier? Can we walk there or do we need a taxi or some form of transportation? What about the site for the semi-sub (Seaworld Explorer)?

Can you take pictures inside the sub/semi sub? If so, should we use a digital camera or do we need the old fashion camera with a high ISO? I think I read somewhere that I shouldn't use flash inside, right?

Hi nyc,

We did the Atlantis submarine tour in end of April. It was a second time for me (first one was in St. Thomas). The distance is just about two short blocks / 5 min walking from the pier.

Yes you can take pictures inside the sub, use any camera that you want, we used digital, use the flash if you are taking a picture of something or someone as the 'object' inside the sub. If you use flash to take pictures of the outside - it will not work, the flash is not strong enough to give you any extra light for the ilumination of the outside .... and it will reflect from the glass / window back into your camera. Higher ISO will give you better pictures. There is not much color. The colors illuminated by the natural daylight will disapear as you go deeper. If you want to see colors that are there you will have to go on a tour at night - they use artificial light from the sub and that does show the real colors.

We purchase our tickets on line / small discount. You can also look at Cayman activity guide and get some coupons good for 10 % discount of the regular price - so even if you have your 'on line tickets' they will adjust them to reflect the slightly larger discount.

If you book yourself make sure that you know what time is your "ship time" - there can be 1 hour difference.

Did not use the Explorer in Grand Cayman but did have a tour on a semi -sub in Aruba .... there was actually more color (fish) to see at the 6 ft deepth.

Wes

Hi nyc,

We did the Atlantis submarine tour in end of April. It was a second time for me (first one was in St. Thomas). The distance is just about two short blocks / 5 min walking from the pier.

Yes you can take pictures inside the sub, use any camera that you want, we used digital, use the flash if you are taking a picture of something or someone as the 'object' inside the sub. If you use flash to take pictures of the outside - it will not work, the flash is not strong enough to give you any extra light for the ilumination of the outside .... and it will reflect from the glass / window back into your camera. Higher ISO will give you better pictures. There is not much color. The colors illuminated by the natural daylight will disapear as you go deeper. If you want to see colors that are there you will have to go on a tour at night - they use artificial light from the sub and that does show the real colors.

We purchase our tickets on line / small discount. You can also look at Cayman activity guide and get some coupons good for 10 % discount of the regular price - so even if you have your 'on line tickets' they will adjust them to reflect the slightly larger discount.

If you book yourself make sure that you know what time is your "ship time" - there can be 1 hour difference.

Did not use the Explorer in Grand Cayman but did have a tour on a semi -sub in Aruba .... there was actually more color (fish) to see at the 6 ft deepth.

Wes

Thanks for all the information. I guess if we can't see much during the day in the sub, it's probably better to go with the semi-sub. Maybe one day I can go back and have a longer stay and do the night tour. ;)

Thanks for all the information. I guess if we can't see much during the day in the sub, it's probably better to go with the semi-sub. Maybe one day I can go back and have a longer stay and do the night tour. ;)

Hi nyc,

you can see a lot during the day time and it is interesting to see the reef at 100 /120 ft depth - but the colors are gone.

I will try to reduce the size and post one of the pictures.

The pictures were taken with small digital Olympus FE 240 X 795 at F/4.2 , Exp Time 1/80 sec, ISO 200.

So the real 'life' down there is a little lighter. These are reduced but if you want to see the larger picture I can email it to you.

Wes

913555705_FromAtlantis.jpg.d072d2b19ea8c3750ae7521fa1fdd7c9.jpg

1573033136_FromAtlantiswindow.jpg.c69fc4f9876b992a16f2a82e387c42f5.jpg

Hi nyc,

you can see a lot during the day time and it is interesting to see the reef at 100 /120 ft depth - but the colors are gone.

I will try to reduce the size and post one of the pictures.

The pictures were taken with small digital Olympus FE 240 X 795 at F/4.2 , Exp Time 1/80 sec, ISO 200.

So the real 'life' down there is a little lighter. These are reduced but if you want to see the larger picture I can email it to you.

Wes

While the idea of being in a sub seeing the marine life is interesting, if all we see is water and gray fish, I think the appeal is not as much when we can see the true colors at night. I am still undecided which way to go, but I guess I'll make up my mind before we get there. :D

• 3 months later...

I went on the sub last year in Grand Caymen and would not recommend this. I had always wanted to take this tour. It cost around $90 pp thru the Carnival Cruise line and I did not feel it was worth the money. There was a group of 9 of us and nobody was overly thrilled. It was ok but I would have rather toured the island and it would have cost alot less money. Happy Cruising!!!

Archived