which cruise for 2nd large family cruise

Hello, I am in charge of planning a family cruise. We are looking to travel around Dec. 6th 2008 and are a group of about 30 ranging in ages from 12 to 78 and most want to travel on a budget, in other words, they are cheap!!!:p. We know we want to do a 7 night eastern caribbean cruise.

The last cruise we did together was on the 38,000 ton Norwegian Majesty. The kids were bored, the food was horrible, etc. etc. I have cruised many times but most of the 30 family members past cruise experience is the one Majesty cruise.

They want the closest cruise port to NC but want to be on a large new ship. Based on itinerary I narrowed it down to the following 3 choices but would like some opinions as I still cannot decide. The Fantasy class is the largest class I have sailed on Carnival and the Voyager class on Royal so I am having trouble comparing the two.

Out of Port Canaveral - can drive down day of saving money on hotel and parking is cheaper

Glory - Nassua, St. Thomas, St. Maartin (this is the cheapest with the lowest inside starting at aprox. $500pp and I think food is better than Royal)

Mariner - Coco Cay, St. Maartin, St. Thomas (inside starting around $650, is the promenade, etc. worth the extra bucks??? I sure did love it and the ice show, etc. but is it worth $150 morepp???)

Out of Ft. Lauderdale - longer drive requiring pre-cruise hotel and more expensive parking

Splendor - San Juan, St. Thomas, La Romana, Nassua (this is my favorite itinerary but it is further and priced the same as the Mariner, but it will be a brand new ship)

Thanks for any advice:)

I think I would go with Carnival out of Port Canaveral. With cost being a factor, the savings in gas hotel and parking to FLL can add up. I had a friend who planned a cruise for the same size group and Carnival was really good with the OBC and upgrades. Overall, I think you will have a great time with any of the ships.

Enjoy your cruise!

I would have to recommend the Glory, based on price, but the Mariner would be a great cruise also. If money is a factor for some of the family, the Glory is going to be hard to beat. I also would not wait to long to book the cruise, I think you risk the price going up in the future. I have been on a couple of cruises with extended family members, and everyone had a great time.

I would choose the Mariner. We went on it 4 yrs ago with our family. We had a great time. We range in ages 21-80 yrs old. It was one of the best cruises I have been on. (I been on 9 total.) I have such great memories from that cruise. It was grandpa 1st and last cruise. He died last year, he still talked about that cruise the day he died. He kept saying how it was " the life of the rich and famous". We all had plenty to do, lots of activities!

Hope that helps!

I'd go with the Glory. We were on her last year and enjoyed every minute. It is one of Carnival's newer ships. There will be something for everyone on the ship. A favorite of this class ship is their deli. Sandwiches are made to order for you, my husband loved their Reuban! Also if you book the lowest catagory cabin (not a specific cabin) on Carnival, they always seem to up grade you. We have paid for lowest inside and always get moved up, often to deck 9. When we cruised we stayed at the Radison the night before then left our car there for free. They have a huge parking lot for people going on cruises, a free shuttle, with trailer for luggage, to take you to and from the port. The one night was less than if we'd left our car at the port!

You can't go wrong with any!

We were on the Glory 2 years ago and loved it (and it's itinerary)

I've never been on the Mariner, but I've been on her sister ship (the Adventure). The ship was amazing!

I've also never been on the Splendor, but I like that itinerary too.

I found the Glory overcrowded (too many people for the space) and poorly laid out. Stadium seating at the pool was awful.

It was smoky and the lines for the buffet at peak times were ridiculous.

Mariner would be my vote. Larger and more spacious, more dining options, nicer pool area, nicer gym and sauna/steam, adult only Solarium and better entertainment.

Archived