Nice Place to have Dinner in Miami

dei6360

We will be in Miami the day befor our cruise and would like to know where a good place to have dinner would be. We are staying at the Hyatt on 8-28 and really don't want to try and fight crouds in South Beach (MTV Awards are 8-29 in South Beach). Any sugestions?

I agree with Tef and Carnivalcruisejunkie.

We had our first meet and greet at Bubba Gumps Bayside! Great place!! Had a wonderful time!!

Brush up on your "Gump knowledge" by watching the movie though!! Because the waiter's and waitresses put you to the test with Gump Trivia!!

Is it safe to walk from Hyatt to Bayside Market after dark with 4 people?
It's easier and faster to just take the *FREE* MetroMover. There is a station at the Hyatt (technically across the street, but it's attached so you never really have to "leave the building"), and you are dropped off one block behind the Marina Park Holiday Inn. Walk across Biscayne Blvd and you are *THERE*

A Hooters had just opened at Bayside when we were there in January, and they were building a Chili's Too as well.

There are also a number of lesser-known establishments down towards Hard Rock, and over half of the second floor of one of the retail buildings is a Food Court. There's a Fat Tuesday's up there where you may partake of a lethal foo-foo or two or ten.

CMEZ...Never and I mean never agree with Tef...goes straight to his head!!!:D

I dont know where you should eat in Miami...but I know where you should NOT eat...that place that Tony Montana was eatin when the machine guns started blazin in "Scarface"!:p

[

A Hooters had just opened at Bayside when we were there in January, and they were building a Chili's Too as well.

I ate the Hooterrs last year. Unless you go during happy hour, it is pricey! I remember that beer and wine was more than what RCCL charged and when my wife asked for a litte extra celery for the hot wings, they charged us $2!

If you walk after dark, walk fast- the area gets spooky.

Make sure you know where to get off on the monorail. It can take you allover, including super spooky places. Despite the occasional presence of monorail cops, people do get mugged! Remember, whether you want to admit to it or not, you'll look like a tourist there, easy prey for muggers. My brother in law told me that he is not afraid to meander there at night, but then again, he is about 7' tall and weighs around 300lbs.

Hooters has been at Bayside for years. When we sailed on the Celebration in 1993, it was there. We stayed at the Hyatt in March 2003 and walked to Bayside during the day (a pretty good hike) but took a cab in the evening. We tried to find the metromover but based on posts from this board and decided not to use it. The cabs were readily available right at the entrance of Bayside. We just waited a few seconds and one picked us up. It was $3-4 or so. Well worth being safe. Wouldn't have wanted to walk from Bayside to the Hyatt in the evening. That's why staying at the Holiday Inn or even better Hotel Intercontinental is so great. No worries!

Hooters has been at Bayside for years. When we sailed on the Celebration in 1993, it was there.
Perhaps they relocated, or expanded. It was *not* there last October, but *was* in January.

dei6360....

We are going on the Paradise 8/29 too!!!

There are about 5 Cruise Critic people who have said they are going...see the "roll call" forum, and do a search for paradise....you should see our thread....

we will be eating at bubba gumps saturday night....

ackpth

We ate at the Italian place in South Beach...the concierge at the hotel called them and they will send a limo to pick you up free of charge. There's a bunch of other little restaurants in the area. All al fresco seating. It was awesome. I think the name was Paisanos or something like that.

Definately BUBBA GUMPS.. it is awesome! Try the Bucket of Trash.. Its shrimp, slipper lobsters, clams, scallops, oysters. all fried and VERY good! And they dont go skimpy on the portions, you get about 8 little slipper lobsters and they are GOOOOD!

Susan

You have the chance to go to SOUTH BEACH, one the kewlest places on this earth....and during MTV awards when beautiful people will be swarming all over...........your other choice is staying near the port and eating at a place called BUBBA GUMPS sitting with a room full of midwestern tourists dressed in jeans and flowered shirts.....tough call to make..:)

You have quite a lot of options to choose from, my friends :)

I will personally recommend any Los Ranchos or El Novillo restaurant (very similar), or if you don't mind going to miami beach for a VERY expensive but worth it meal, try Shula's Steakhouse on the beach in the Hotel Alexander. It's former Dolphins coach Don Shula's own restaurant, and that is the one closest to the port. very expensive though.

The only place that I would suggest on South Beach is the News Cafe. The rest are overrated and overpriced. Believe me the people there are no more beautiful than any other part of Miami. I have other words to describe them but I cannot put them here.:)

To me Bubba Gumps is just a Red Lobster with a theme. The food is mediocre at best IMHO. Lombardi's is a great Italian restuarant. It is located at the end of Bayside and they have places outside overlooking the bay. Hooters has been there since Bayside opened in the same place on the second floor overlooking the bay. Typical place for beer and wings. "Chili's Too" had just opened in March.

Here is the link to Bayside to take a look around. They sometimes have local entertainment that can be fun to watch. Also if you have time, a boat ride around Biscayne Bay is nice. Gets those cruise juices flowing.:)

http://www.baysidemarketplace.com/

As with any large city you have to use common sense when making decisions concerning walking around at day or night. There are some places that I would not feel safe and that is around the area where the new performing arts center is being built. Also I found that the metro mover is another word for whino express. Late in the evening the homeless drunks were using it for a place to sleep.

At Bayside, there is a Bubba Gump's and a Hard Rock Cafe.

Just north of Bayside is Gloria Estefan's Bongo's.

All YUM!

Whatever you do...do not eat at the Hard Rock....It's horrible food and service....and this is from someone who lives here in Miami and has gone many times to give the benefit of the doubt....any Miamian will tell you the same...it SUCKS!

Try Houston's in Coral Gables, PF Changs in North Miami Beach...far from the crowds of South Beach.

Miami is a little sketchy at night and the Hyatt is a little isolated (i.e. surrounded by offices that are empty at night/weekends)

There are a few independant resturants in Bayside if you want to avoid the whole chain resturant: the afore mentioned steak house is really good.

Archived