'New" Deposit Policy for Villas and Owner's Suites

msescada

I had a conversation today with our personal cruise consultant at NCL and found out something that I wasn't aware of that shocked me. I searched the forum and didn't see any threads on this, so I suspect some folks may not be aware of this.

Effective May 30, 2007, NCL has a new deposit policy for Garden Villas, Courtyard Villas and Owner's Suites ---

100% of the ENTIRE CRUISE FARE is due AT BOOKING.

If you cancel, NCL will refund ONLY ACCORDING TO THE CANCELLATION SCHEDULE.

Okay, here's my issue:

NO WHERE on the confirmation that we received for bookings made after 5/30 is there any description of the new policy (nor were we asked for that much money because i can assure you i would not have given them that much money 12 months in advance without interest).

NO WHERE on the confirmation or in the cruise contract pdf document on the website is there a description of the cancellation refund schedule (I've seen it somewhere, but can't remember where and the consultant couldn't find it on the website either), so how are you supposed to know how much of your funds are at risk?

If you've priced a garden villa lately, you will figure out quickly that it is a VERY expensive trip. NCL will sit on anywhere from $25,000 + of your money for the entire time between booking and sailing. Will they pay you interest? Hah. I don't particularly want to help NCL with its cash flow needs that much. I don't mind paying 3 months out, but at the time of booking seems a bit excessive.

I suppose I understand why NCL is doing this --- they want to make sure that those who reserve (even with the much higher deposit requirement that existed under the old rules) really intend to take the trip, but this seems a bit excessive. Just think, if NCL went under, would you want to be out ANY amount of money, much less the cost of an owner's suite, courtyard or garden villa?

So I guess i have a question: has anyone booked one of these categories recently and been asked to pay in full at booking?

Has anyone cancelled? If so, did you get a full refund under the new policy?

And please, don't flame me for traveling in an OS or above, okay? Thanks in advance.

I booked 3 cruises in June, all in suites (2 OS, 3 PHs, 1 Mini and 1 Balcony), and was something different: I was told that due to new policy as of June 1, the OS required immediate DEPOSIT only (as in, no holding the OS for a couple of days before deposit was due), and the balance due date is sooner (but only 15 days sooner) than the others. I have those OS's booked (with larger deposits than the others) but the final payments are not due until approx 3 months before the sailing date.

Robin

I booked a Villa last week and the next day changed to an AA Owners Suite. In both instances they wanted $3500 deposit, or 50% which I thought was excessive. However, they told me I have 75 days before the cruise to receive a full refund. Of course when you speak to NCL reps, often you get a totally different response from one rep to another. It is just amazing to me how poorly informed these people are. :(

No flames from me. This new policy does not sound good. I booked an OS in May 07, but I just checked the date and it was on the 22nd, so I can't be of much help to you. Yeah, I can understand NCL's end of it too, but I book way early out and it is a little scary to have no way out, if this is the case. Also, in their defense, their suites ROCK and truly does change the cruise to an ultra "luxe" experience, as advertised. However, with the new higher pricing combined with this new policy, I fear they may be pricing and restricting themselves out of the market. Maybe they will compromise on a 50% down with the usually refund policy. I don't think anything harsher will be very well received.

I didn't know about this new rule. We booked an OS on the 9/15 sailing of the Star but booked it last October. There is NO WAY we would have put down 50% or more as a deposit. I just did a test of this new policy on Travelocity for a cruise in 2009 to the Caribbean. For an OS they wanted $3000 down on a room that costs a bit over $5600 for two people. No way am I going to give NCL my money to make interest on when I can make interest on it myself! No wonder OS's aren't selling on cruises. I will wait until the last minute to book an OS!

yes, i agree that one often gets a different story every time one calls NCL, but this one took the cake. Also, I did indeed book a GV and an OS after may 30 and didn't put down anywhere near 100% as a deposit, so even in my case, if my PCC's read was right, the other reservation agent didn't implement the new policy.

I also find it disturbing that NCL hasn't posted it anywhere. My PCC is faxing it to me, but ONLY AFTER she cuts out the 'internal' part of the document containing the new policy.

I have often put down a $5k deposit on a GV (for two people) and I understand that they don't want people booking them and then giving them up so close to the sail date that they can't be sold for full price. I have no problem with the deposit being more than the $300 i put down on a sun balcony cabin (in between a mini and an OS) or even the $1500 i put down on that sun mini, but as I said, if they want 100% they have to give me a market rate of return until the usual 'final balance due date' and they're not going to do that.

thanks for the replies. i think we need to protest this to ncl . anyone have Colin's email?

I should have checked the fax machine before i posted.

My PCC had it wrong.

It is NOT a 100% due at booking policy.

It IS, a 100% of DEPOSIT AMOUNT due at booking, i.e., no h olding reservations without a deposit.

That I have NO problem wtih. Whew, sanity prevails.

For those interested:

if the cruise is 3 or more days long, and the booking is MORE than 90 days before departure, GV requires $2,500 per person and OS, CV (A2, A3, A4 and AA) require $1,500 per person.

If booked between 90 and 46 days from departure, NCL wants 50% for all A categories

If booked less than 45 days prior to departure, they want 100%.

Since we owe the final balance 90 days before anyway even if we booked a year out, i have no problem with this deposit policy. Too bad my PCC didn't understand it.

Of course, i still don't have a cancellation policy schedule...so i don't know how much of the deposit would be lost if i cancel 9 months before departure.

For those interested:

if the cruise is 3 or more days long, and the booking is MORE than 90 days before departure, GV requires $2,500 per person and OS, CV (A2, A3, A4 and AA) require $1,500 per person.

I put a deposit of $500 down when I booked last October. Wouldn't put a deposit of $3000 down! I would wait til closer in and if there was an OS I would book it, if not, I don't take the cruise. I won't let NCL hold my money for over a year!

Guest nhrich

Here is the cancellation policy for the courtyard suites and owner's suites:

Greater than 90 days prior to sailing per 1st & 2nd guest $500 each

90 - 46 days 50% of cruise fare

45 days or less 100% of cruise fare

Greater than 90 days prior to sailing per guest 3-8 $250 each

90 days or less 100% of cruise fare

And for the garden villas:

Greater than 90 days prior to sailing per 1st & 2nd guest $2500 each

This is for cruises 3+ days. For 1-2 day cruises, the only differences are for the garden villas, the penalty for > 90 days is $250 for the OS & CV, and $500 for the GV.

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

Mr. Veitch surely realizes that people able to afford the GV on a regular basis are probably well-aware of the additional cost to them (in lost interest and opportunity costs) that tying up 100% of their money for 12-18 months entails.

However, it's clear that the staff in the land office, and especially their supervisors, have troubles understanding their own memos. But this is no surprise as I've long suspected that the land office is run by the Marx Brothers. At least it has always seemed that way. If there is one SERIOUS area where NCL cannot compete with the other lines, it is the land office's customer relations and communications. This is a long-standing problem for NCL.

Here is the cancellation policy for the courtyard suites and owner's suites:

Greater than 90 days prior to sailing per 1st & 2nd guest $500 each

And for the garden villas:

Greater than 90 days prior to sailing per 1st & 2nd guest $2500 each

This is for cruises 3+ days. For 1-2 day cruises, the only differences are for the garden villas, the penalty for > 90 days is $250 for the OS & CV, and $500 for the GV.

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

If this is the case - I think most people would stop booking such suites in advance. I know I will never now - with a young child, demanding career and life in general never being certain why would I chance losing $5000 for booking early - especially when such categories are typically open closer to a sailing. I think NCL will learn this the hard way and will be forced to rethink this policy once less and less suites are booked in advance.

Totally ridiculous on the part of NCL with this new policy. No way are they going to keep that much of my money for that period of time. Seems like NCL does some things good and then they turn around and some bean counter at corporate comes up with a bonehead idea like this.:rolleyes:

Totally ridiculous on the part of NCL with this new policy. No way are they going to keep that much of my money for that period of time. Seems like NCL does some things good and then they turn around and some bean counter at corporate comes up with a bonehead idea like this.:rolleyes:

As I said--the Marx Brothers....

Wouldn't NCL let you transfer your deposit to a new cruise, if you booked it at the time you cancelled your original cruise? That is, if you find that the original dates won't work for you, but you can go another time, would you still lose the money?

Wouldn't NCL let you transfer your deposit to a new cruise, if you booked it at the time you cancelled your original cruise? That is, if you find that the original dates won't work for you, but you can go another time, would you still lose the money?

I would suspect that the deposits could be transferred to another sailing but I do not know this for sure. Disney Cruise Line has a non-refundable deposit for their suites and deposits can be transferred to another sailing. The difference for DCL though is they only have two ships and most of their suites are booked and/or waitlisted over a year in advance. They changed to the non-refundable deposit because of the such great demand for their suites. We deal with it because for our family of 5 we usually book a Cat. 2 Suite (only 2 of them on each ship) or a Midship Cat 3 Suite (only 4 on each Ship). Our TA faxes our in our request usually before dates are released to put us on the waitlist.

For NCL though since deposit amounts are much higher, I will probably just continue to book an AB Suite and check closer to sailing for a Courtyard Villa. If its available I may change and if not I will keep my AB which is the same suite w/o Courtyard Access.

Archived