Bringing alcohol on the ship

davedrinkbeer

I have been on a Celebrity ship before and it was pretty easy to get alcohol on board. At the ports I would just load a back pack up with beer and put it through the X-ray machine and they never said anything to me.

Is Princess strict about this?

How have you got alcohol on board, in your checked luggage, just bringing it on board with you in a bag, carried it in your hands?

I have been on a Celebrity ship before and it was pretty easy to get alcohol on board. At the ports I would just load a back pack up with beer and put it through the X-ray machine and they never said anything to me.

Is Princess strict about this?

How have you got alcohol on board, in your checked luggage, just bringing it on board with you in a bag, carried it in your hands?

Yes and no or no and yes.

I was on the Caribbean Princess early May and had no problems with bring anything on board with a check bag. I had a bottle of boz wrapped and an 18 pack of beer and had no trouble. Keep the beer in the refrigator in the cabin. Sure with the try.

In reading the posts from more recent cruisers it seems Princess is getting strict about confiscating liquor in carry on luggage. I still think bringing beer onboard will cause more enforcement just due to the volume involved. Stick a liter or two of your favorite spirits in your checked luggage and you will be fine. Dont make the porters lug a case of beer in addition to their other duties on embarkation day.

It seems to me that neither Princess nor Celebrity have a problem as long as it is in check. I have noticed that bringing liquor or wine on-board is not a problem with either, as long as it is a reasonble amount, especially during embarkation.

My huz and I sometimes want to bring a local beer or liquor on board because we enjoyed it during our tour. I have never found this to be a problem. They have the "check" stand after the x-ray stand, but one can just bypass it. Just don't be obnoxious about it, i.e. more than a 6-pack of beer or more than 1 L of liquor. If you want to bring a 6-pack on or a small amount of barbados rum - no problem. If questioned, just tell them you wanted to sample it in privacy and if there is a problem (I have never run into run in 15+ cruises) just check it! At the same time, I always make sure I check customs items and I ALWAYS pay the corkage fee if I bring wine into the dining room. That is what they really care about.

Heather

I've never had any problem bringing liquor on board from a port. Be descrete and put the bottle in a carry on bag or backpack. I've seen some lquor detained when people carry the bottle in hand.

In other words, IMHO, not seen, not bothered.

Archived