Formal nights on a Hawaiian cruise~glitzy or tropical?

wtevrfltsurbt

Hi all~:)

We are headed to Hawaii on a 16 day R/T out of Los Angeles on the Diamond for the holidays and I was wondering if someone who has done it recently could give me feedback as to the level of formality most pax are observing on a cruise of this type. I normally dress to the 9's on formal nights as does DH (gowns and tux) etc, but was wondering if the destination influences this particular cruise, i.e. more to the tropical/casual than to the glitzy beaded gowns. I have both and use both:rolleyes: but do not want to pack too much!

What about xmas eve and xmas day on the ship~just another day or any special events/gatherings/whatever?

Any input is appreciated.

I've done this itinerary twice. You'll find more tropical on the smart casual nights (lots of Hawaiian shirts on the return to LA) but because there are so many sea days, most enjoy dressing up for formal nights.

We have been on two Christmas cruises and found the level of dress for Formal Nights bumped up a notch....and the majority of children mimicking their parents, with girls in dressy dresses and boys in suits (some even a Tux). Both these were Caribbean destinations 7 and 9 days and offering only traditional dining. The ships were decorated for the holidays and Santa made appearances several times on Christmas Day. Traditional foods were on the menu. My husband and I will be on the same Hawaii cruise on the Diamond over Thanksgiving. We have always done formal for Formal Nights and will again. My thought is the remaining 12 nights will offer plenty of opportunity to be creative with the tropical influence in our dress if we prefer. Just my thoughts.

Nan

We were on the holiday sailing to Hawaii back in Dec. 2005/Jan. 2006 and found that formal nights were like other cruises. Tropical outfits were saved for casual nights (especially on "Island Night", which was on the night after our fourth port, so by that time, many have bought some aloha wear).

Christmas Eve and New Years Eve were formal on our cruise. At the dining room table settings, there were crackers (as in the English holiday type that you pop) on Christmas Eve and party hats for NYE.

Archived