Mazatlan Walking Tours?

SDBeachLovers

We'll be in Mazatlan aboard the Carnival Pride in August and are interested in a walking tour of the historic area - does anyone have any suggestions? I found one through "Charters Mexico Vista Tours" for $20 (including pickup at the dock) and the one through Carnival for $33 (also includes some driving around before walking). Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Depending on how adventuresome you are you can do this on your own. Before our cruise last January I asked Mazatlan MIketo recommend places to see in Old Town Mazatlan. Here is his response:

Sounds like fun. About my favorite place in the whole world. You could walk from docks to the center of the area in about 20 to 30 minutes real easy. However unless you are familiar with Mazatlan you could get lost in a hurry. In that case I recommend a taxi or pulmonia ( open air taxi ) and ask them to take you to Plaza Machado which is a park right in the center of Old Mazatlan. There you have all the famous european architecture of the 1800's, about 22 sidewalk cafes, Angela Peralta Theater, Casa Machado Museum and a short 6 blocks you can go to the Olas Altas area by the ocean. Great views in every direction.

Have fun MazatlanMike

I downloaded a map of that part of Mazatlan which showed where all the places were. We took a pulmonia to the Plaza Machado and walked from there. We went to the beach, the theater, the cathedral , the market, the art museum, did some shopping at Nidart (a great artisan's gallery near the Plaza Machado where we bought, among other things, leather masks that were being made for the Carnival), drank margaritas and ended the day visiting the Hotel Freeman where we had a magnificent view of the city from the rooftop. We actually walked back to the ship--about 15-20 minutes), but some of the areas were not the best so my wife tells me we'll not do that again. This year we'll take a pulmonia back.

Jerry

Last September, we booked the Mazatlan Walking Tour through Carnival. We rode in a van from the pier to the Malecon (the monument celebrating life) and from there began our walking tour. We stopped by the cliffdivers and got some great pictures. From there we continued along the shoreline then crossing over to enter old Mazatlan. We stopped by a bakery, the Melville Hotel, a shop where we had refreshments, Casa Machado ( a museum), the Angela Peralta Theater, another stop at a restaurant for more refreshments, and then on to the large cathedral. After visiting there, we climbed into the back of a pickup (with benches on the side) and were returned to the ship. We really enjoyed this tour!

Hope you have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...
We actually walked back to the ship--about 15-20 minutes), but some of the areas were not the best so my wife tells me we'll not do that again. This year we'll take a pulmonia back.

Jerry

We were thinking about walking there and back, but now wondering. Did you feel it was "unsafe" or just "crudy"? What if we walked along the Malecon the entire way? We are two adult males going that enjoy walking. Anyone else feel free to comment also!

We were thinking about walking there and back, but now wondering. Did you feel it was "unsafe" or just "crudy"? What if we walked along the Malecon the entire way? We are two adult males going that enjoy walking. Anyone else feel free to comment also!

I would do it again without hesitation, but my wife wouldn't. But then, I'm much more adventuresome than she is. When I told our daughter about it and said "one of us wouldn't do it again" she just laughed because she is also more adventuresome than her mother.

We didn't use a map to return. I could see the ship from the top of the Hotel Freeman so I knew approximately where it was and just headed in that direction. when we arrived at the docks we were about a block from the entrance to the cruise terminal. I really enjoyed the walk back because we were going through neighborhoods and could see exactly how people lived. One block might have a mansion and the next would be rundown houses and apartments.

Jerry

I would do it again without hesitation, but my wife wouldn't. But then, I'm much more adventuresome than she is. When I told our daughter about it and said "one of us wouldn't do it again" she just laughed because she is also more adventuresome than her mother.

We didn't use a map to return. I could see the ship from the top of the Hotel Freeman so I knew approximately where it was and just headed in that direction. when we arrived at the docks we were about a block from the entrance to the cruise terminal. I really enjoyed the walk back because we were going through neighborhoods and could see exactly how people lived. One block might have a mansion and the next would be rundown houses and apartments.

Jerry

I think we'll have a go at it then. Your description sounds pretty much like what I was expecting. I am looking on Google Earth, and it certainly doesn't look that far. I enjoy organized walking tours, but just went through Europe with lots of 5 hour tours and one really has to rush through everything. I want to enjoy the whole time in port. I think Mazatlan is a very interesting port personally. Not a view shared by most of the Mexican Riviera Cruise community.

Archived