Chena Hot Springs

Lyonaround

Hi,

Looking at possibly staying at the Chena Hot Springs Resort for one night. Anybody stayed there before? We plan for one night late August, hoping to see the northern lights. It this to early to see them?

Love to hear from anyone who stayed there.

Thanks

I talked to my brother this weekend--they're outside Fairbanks; we're staying a few nights with them before our cruise in September. He said right now it's basically light all the time (at least a little bit), so no northern lights (even if there's activity, you can't really see it) It does get darker, obviously, as the year goes on. He said he doesn't really know if we'll be lucky enough to see them or not in late August/early September. But obviously, there's a better chance of seeing them at Chena Hot Springs than, say, Juneau:p

Hi:

Last year we drove rental to CHS to ''check it out' and see some scenery on the way. I must say it was rather basic and not too impressive facility. Lunch service in restaurant was very slow. If N-lights viewing is low chance for that time of year, then I wouldn't make special effort to go to CHS. I think their hi-season is Jan-Feb when lights are prominent.

We stayed at Pikes Waterfront thru Celebrity. It was fairly basic too and loads of cruiseline pax. We also stayed at modern Springhill Suites in downtown Fairbanks that had nice attached business-man's Bistro that we liked and others have also reviewed favorably.

Good Luck

Hi:

We also stayed at modern Springhill Suites in downtown Fairbanks that had nice attached business-man's Bistro that we liked and others have also reviewed favorably.

Good Luck

Ooh, thanks for the review--we're there our first two nights. Of course, I don't know when that first night will start, since our flight is scheduled to arrive in Fairbanks at 11:47pm:rolleyes:

Thanks for the information. We have a night booked at the Bridgewater Hotel before meeting up with our tour and considered canceling to stay at the Chena Hot Spring, or it may be better just to take a drive if it is not possible to see the northern lights. We will be there in 4 weeks and can't wait. First time in Alaska and checking all our options. This site is great. Full in information.

Archived