Anchorage to Seward train

SPKR

I have booked a stay at the Hilton in Anchorage on 9/6/07 and go into Seward on 9/7/07, the day of my cruise on the Summit. Does anyone know when the train leaves? Does Celebrity do a special charter, or does the train leave early the the morning on its regular route? Need to know whether I will have time to do any activities in Seward?

I have booked a stay at the Hilton in Anchorage on 9/6/07 and go into Seward on 9/7/07, the day of my cruise on the Summit. Does anyone know when the train leaves? Does Celebrity do a special charter, or does the train leave early the the morning on its regular route? Need to know whether I will have time to do any activities in Seward?

Who did you book the train with? If you booked directly with AKRR, you leave at 6.45am. If you booked through Celebrity, you are almost for sure on the 11am special train. Check directly with Celebrity. I am taking the early train so I have more time in Seward (plus it was quite a bit cheaper). But even if you arrive later in the afternoon, you have time to visit either the Alaska Sealife Center or Exit Glacier, both very nice places to visit for a couple of hours.

John

The AKRR train does do a run independant of Celebrity. We took this train, first because it was less expensive, and second because it gave us a much longer day in Seward, also allowing us to board sooner and avoid the rush and long lines when the X train arrived. Find a hotel in Anchorage that provides complimentary transport to the train. There are X baggage handlers at both Anchorage and Seward depots, and if your luggage has the appropriate tags it will be delivered to your stateroom directly. No worries!

Contact http://www.akrr.com/arrc18.html for more info.

This was a few years ago, but we took the train in the late afternoon. We placed our luggage at the check in at the train station and enjoyed Seward. We went on the Iditeride dog sled experience which was the highlight of the whole trip. We rode on a big wheeled cart and the dogs pulled (6 of us) around the woods. We got to pet the new puppies and try on the clothing used on the Iditerod. The young men who gave us the tour had been winners in the junior Iditerod. Then we also went to exit glacier which is a place where you can actually walk in the glacier. Then we went on a nice walk around Seward itself. The train was very uneventful. We did not see any animals on the ride itself. I found all the information about this from other people on cruise critic.

I just reread your information and see that you are coming to the cruise from Anchorage. Try to take the early train so you can do some of these fun things. Best.

Thanks for the 11 am departure information. I am booked on the train transfer but was disappointed when I received my cruise documents that there was not any information about the train departure - where to go, what time, etc.

When I called Celebrity they would not provide information saying that I had to go through my TA, which I still will call to find out location pickup - unless someone knows where the downtown Anchorage train transfer spot is - is it the train depot, Egan, or where??

These boards are a godsend!

Thanks for the 11 am departure information. I am booked on the train transfer but was disappointed when I received my cruise documents that there was not any information about the train departure - where to go, what time, etc.

When I called Celebrity they would not provide information saying that I had to go through my TA, which I still will call to find out location pickup - unless someone knows where the downtown Anchorage train transfer spot is - is it the train depot, Egan, or where??

These boards are a godsend!

Station is down town - we were taken there to pick up We from Anchorage to Talketna - Got to believe it is the same place

Thanks hermang - I guess I should have made my question clearer though.

Does the 11 AM train to Seward depart from the downtown train depot - or is there a depot at the airport that is used for the transfer.

Thanks,

Gracie

I have been so busy I have not called Celebrity to learn the answer. I did purchase the train through Celebrity and the Hilton 1 night since we arrive 9/6/07 and the cruise, as you all know, begins 9/7. I'm not going to change anything and honestly, since my plane gets into Anchorage at 7 or so in the evening of the 6th, I would rather not get a 6:45 am train trip out on the 7th. But, I am curious what time the train arrangements are via Celebrity so that I can perhaps make some plans in Seward for the Iditeride dog sled or exit glacier shuttle after 3 or so on the 7th.

On a new note, does anyone who has done this Alaska trip know what time the Summit will offer dinner since we leave at 9 pm that evening of the 7th?

I found a phone # for the Hospitality Center at the Anchorage Marriott on Celebrity's website and spoke to a gentleman there who was very helpful.:D The # is: 907-278-8070

He told me that I am on the 1 pm train, but need to check in at the Anchorage Marriott's Hospitality Center, which opens at 8. He recommends checking in between 8 and 9 am with 10 am being the latest time he mentioned.

He said that transportation would be provided from the Marriott to the depot.

SPKR - When you arrive at the terminal, you check in and as you are walking toward the ship, you will be given a paper that tells you whether you're first or second seating. First seating is at 6:00 and second seating is at 8:30.

We did this cruise two years ago and took the train that leaves early in the morning. We did have to get up early but it was worth the early hours. We spent two extra days in Seward and took an excursion there. We're going back to Alaska in 2009 and will do the same itinerary.

These boards are a wealth of information but if it were me booking a train transfer through the cruiseline I would ask the CRUISELINE not some anonymous posters information regarding when/where to meet for my transfer and train ride. Great if I or someone else says I was told to meet at 11am at the Marriott or wherever. But if you were to meet at 10am at the Hilton and you missed it, you would be in big trouble. With info like this, you would be a fool not to check directly with your booking source. Sorry if I offended anyone.

FTI - I agree, but unfortunatley it seems that the details for the Anchorage to Seward train transfer is not well known within Celebrity since they told my TA that the details would be included with my cruise documents then when they weren't the Celebrity representative that I talked to didn't seem to know specifics either.

Yes, everyone should gain their own level of comfort. Mine was in speaking with a Celebrity employee (yes, I asked if he was an employee) at the Hospitality Center in the Anchorage Marriott.

FTI - I agree, but unfortunatley it seems that the details for the Anchorage to Seward train transfer is not well known within Celebrity since they told my TA that the details would be included with my cruise documents then when they weren't the Celebrity representative that I talked to didn't seem to know specifics either.

Yes, everyone should gain their own level of comfort. Mine was in speaking with a Celebrity employee (yes, I asked if he was an employee) at the Hospitality Center in the Anchorage Marriott.

That is unfortunate. Makes me feel good however that I booked both transfers (Anchorage to Seward and Vancouver to YVR airport) independently!

Archived