confusion with avalon tapestry

pondboss

I am working on a May trip to include the Rhine cruise departing Basel May 18.

I have just discovered that the quoted price of $2189 is for a cabin in the bilge. To get a cabin on the sapphire deck, the price goes up $449-499/pp.

This seems like deceptive pricing, but so be it. I remember seeing on this thread that the upgrade cost was $600 per couple. Does that reflect a discount from the operator?

Any help would be appreciated.

The bottom level cabins are all picture window only, no french balcony. Many people don't care since they don't spend any time in their cabin except for sleeping. They always quote that price to begin with. We are booked on the Tranquilty on the Danube next June and I believe it is very similar or almost identical. I was told there are few low level cabins and they usually go first because of price. I was going to take one but changed my mind and upgraded to the B catagory for $449 extra. I like the idea of a big window area that can be opened. Before I booked, I checked with several travel vendors and found some discounts including $100 pp off for AARP membership and another 10% discount, which my TA matched. The discount was also off the upgraded cabin price. I would advise checking with several agents. Most TAs will match another's price.

Thanks for the reply

This will be our first cruise, so I get confused about things that everyone else here probably takes for granted. My wife refused to stay in a room that has a fixed window, so now it's just a matter of working out the cost.

I should have mentioned that the prices are quoted are very much like any ocean cruise. They always quote the lowest, which on an ocean cruise is most likely an inside cabin, no window. Then there are various cabin upgrades like obstructed view, porthole window, picture window, balcony and suite. On an ocean cruise, it is more likely that you will get an upgrade. We have been upgraded twice, but I doubt a river cruise gives upgrades since most are fully booked having limited amount of cabins. Some river cruise lines like Viking nd GCT have last minute specials when they don't fill, but you do get whatever is available.

To me it is worth the extra $$ for a balcony cabin or a french balcony door because we enjoy the fresh air and scenery from our cabin even at night.

Your wife is right.

Fixed window with no chance of getting some fresh air, when you want it is an excellent way of saving few dollars at the expense of your well-being and comfort.

Another point: Avalon NEVER gives free upgrades. They wrote it in the stone and they are sticking with their guns.

Bargain for the best deal and enjoy your cruise.

EURiverCruiser

Just returned from the Avalon Tapestry cruise from Basel to Amsterdam. We were totally delighted with all aspects of the cruise. You do a lot of walking on the tours, so if you have difficulties walking you will need to check out other options such as trams and taxis.

You are correct about the price quotes, but it seems all the river cruise lines quote their lowest price cabins and, as with ocean cruising, the lowest price cabins are the on the lowest decks used for passengers. The Tapestry only has 4 or 6 cabins on the 100 level and they are the same size as the others, but come with only a port hole or two. So, you are actually sleeping below the water line as I understand it (we were on the top deck). When we signed up (last Nov.) it was $500 per person to upgrade to the 2nd level and $549 to upgrade to the top (3rd) level. There really is no difference that I can see between the 2nd and 3rd levels. The staterooms are great. When planning you trip, don't forget to include the "suggested" tips to the crew and cruise director. For a one week cruise I believe the suggested rate is around $15/day/person for the crew and $3/day/person for the cruise director. Hope this helps.

Just to pick up on RHildebrand's final point; the tipping. I try not to be too much of a pennypincher, but I thought those Avalon tip suggestions a bit high.

They suggested 12 euros per passenger per day. With 160 passengers, that would be 160x12x7 for a one week cruise - a total of 13,440 euros in the tip kitty. With a crew of 30, each member would get 448 euros; or is my math wrong somewhere? I'm fairly sure that the average European earns less than 448 euros per week, and this is just the tip, not the wage that the (excellent and very worthy) Avalon crew receive.

Thoughts?

Archived