America's Cup Sailing Regatta ???

We went on this excursion during our pre-Christmas cruise in 2005....it was probably our favorite thing! I can tell you the following based on our experience...though others may have different takes.

We are considering this while in St. Maarten - Just a few questions.

Will I get to stay on the same team as others traveling with me?

That seemed to be entirely up to you and the others in your party. We saw groups deliberately divide themselves onto different crews in order to compete, but most groups stayed together.

Will I get to choose my task or is it chosen for me?

People were asked what sort of tasks they felt comfortable with. Those with sailing experience----or an adventurous spirit---got the more technical jobs. In our case our two teenagers were on winches--which require a bit of strength and stamina---while Dad manned a stopwatch and I fetched the water, soda and beer out of the cooler (which made me the "bartender"---the only trick to doing that was to be able to hang onto a rope while leaning down in to the hold to reach the cooler).

Is the boat crowded?

Depends on how many ships, etc., are in port that day. We were there during a pretty busy time of year, so we had three boats going with pretty full crews. As far as crowding, I wouldn't worry about it. For safety's sake, they will only put so many people on any one boat. There are several professional crew members on each boat as well, so if there aren't a lot of people, you still have a good sail.

Thanks!!:D

Hope that helps some!

Enjoy!!

"Scout" aka Carol

Dayton, OH

Carnival Valor~December 2005

We went on this excursion during our pre-Christmas cruise in 2005....it was probably our favorite thing! I can tell you the following based on our experience...though others may have different takes.

Hope that helps some!

Enjoy!!

"Scout" aka Carol

Dayton, OH

Carnival Valor~December 2005

Thanks! That was a big help! :D I've only heard great things about this tour, but I had my doubts and questions. Thanks again!

Anyone else - feel free to share your experiences.

We did the 12 meter regatta last yr and thought it was the best excursion in 4 cruises and it rained and poured while we did and we still thought it was the best excursion of all the ones we did.If it wasn't pouring we would have tried to do it twice in the same day.

We are going on the Mariner of the Sea RCL in Sept and have already booked the excursion 4 months ago.

Have a great time.

Btw we are 56 and 55 yrs old

Remember, a 12 meter yacht is a very large sail boat. They are about 65-70 feet overall. When I raced on an old 12 meter years ago, we needed 17 people working for a full crew.

We are booked for this in early October and we are looking forward to it. My wife has never sailed and I've not done any sailing in over 25 years.

These are historic yachts and this is a rare opportunity, indeed.

Doc

Is the boat crowded?

We went on this excursion several weeks ago and had a great time. Couples were placed on the same boat. There were no larger groups so I don't know what is done in such siutations. You will be asked if you want a Strenuous, Medium, or light job. There were 17 people on our boat and crowding was not a problem. However, keep in mind that these are purely recing boats without any amenities.

Is the boat crowded?

I am sure that you can stay w/ your team (assuming you don't exceed the capacity of the boat).

People are assigned tasks according to what they can do. The more physically fit people are sail grinders. Those who aren't interested might be assigned to be the quench wench (person who hands out beers).

As I recall, there are 12 - 15 per 12 metre yacht. I believe there are a total of 4 yachts.

The excursion is a blast. Be sure and purchase the photo.

We will be sailing on the AOS and are thinking of doing this. Can anyone tell me the times for this trip and is the location far from the cruise pier. In other words, do you walk to it, get on a shuttle and drive to it,or do the yachts pick you up at the pier?

Thanks in advance,

We will be sailing on the AOS and are thinking of doing this. Can anyone tell me the times for this trip and is the location far from the cruise pier. In other words, do you walk to it, get on a shuttle and drive to it,or do the yachts pick you up at the pier?

Thanks in advance,

The excursion meets on the pier where you get off the ship. Once everyone is there you walk a short distance (couple of hundred yards) to the rest rooms where you can make a final pit stop as there are no facilities on board the boats. From there it's another short walk to the tender pier which is where you will be broken into separate crews (there may be hotel guests, also, who will arrive on the tender). The tender (a flat open boat with lots of chairs on it) will then take you out to the yachts. The number of yachts they use depends on the number of guests. When I did it on New Year's Eve there were three boats, when I did it again in May only two were used.

If I recall correctly, the excursion (both times, off the Empress and Adventure) was at 10 AM and I got back to the ship around 1 PM. The race itself takes about 45 minutes.

I'm going back to St. Maarten on the AOS next April and will definitely do this excursion again.

• 1 month later...

I am probably in the minority but I didn't love this excursion. The crew was extremely nice and friendly but I felt there was a lot of time wasted getting to/from the sailboat. Also, the spot where another passenger and I had to sit was in a cramped space with our legs in a recessed "well" at the front of the boat and we had to actually sit on a taut rope which was quite uncomfortable. Also, they kept making us move in order to change the ropes/sails and it was awkward climbing in and out of the well and moving around the equipment/ropes. It took a bit of agility and balance for these middle aged bodies especially since we had to avoid being hit by a piece of heavy moveable equipment. The others on the boat had much more comfortable and relaxing positions. Towards the end with the waiting and tendering I also was feeling a little seasick from the rocking and the heat. DH and DS really enjoyed the excursion though, but they were in another area of the boat.

My daughter and I didnt like this excursion at all. They were short on people to help sail the boat and I had to do two jobs. It just wore me out from moving from one side of the boat to the other. I did not enjoy it all and thought it was a complete waste of time and money.

My husband and my daugter's boyfriend did like it but I would never do it again.

• 2 weeks later...

I am considering doing this with my husband. I was wondering if there is time after the excursion to do anthing else in St. Martin - perhaps a cab ride to a beach? According to the Princess excursion website it ends at 1:00 . I believe that we have to be back at boat by 5:00.

Are you pretty much exhauseted after this or do most people do something else. My husband and I love beaches but since we also have St. Thomas and Princess Cay - I thought this might be something different.

Since it is pretty expensive - do you all feel it was worth the money?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived