Warning Canadians.

bcscot

I recently booked passage on the final westbound QE2 crossing,returning in tandem on QM2. I booked directly with the Cunard U.S.office.Because I live in Canada,they automatically charged me in Canadian dollars.However the exchange rate they used was terrible,charging me $400 dollars more than I calculated they should have using the current exchange rate.When I complained,they told me they would have to cancel my existing booking first & then rebook me in U.S.dollars,but once the old booking was cancelled I would have to rejoin the end of the waiting list & wait in order to try to get a new booking!This did not go down well with me.After some negotiation they relented & changed my booking to U.S.dollars.They were also quite rude & unhelpful.Not a good introduction to Cunard.I never had that problem with H.A.L.with whom I have the choice.

All I can say is; if you are dealling with the Cunard U.S. office, watch your pockets!

This warning is practically sent out on all the cruise line threads on cc from time to time (this same warning even appears on the HAL boards) and so is nothing new. As a Canadian, I am well aware of the fact that cruise lines will allow you to be charged your cruise in their Canadian dollar fares which has a more exorbitant exchange rate than the going rates for the bank. Cunard is no sneakier or more helpful than any of the rest of them. Its just the cost of doing business with an American company in Canada who needs to make a profit.

However, if you feel the exchange being charged by the cruise line is not to your liking then we must reiterate to other Canadians that you have a choice. You can state from the start you rather be charged the $US fare and they will do it. Your credit card company will likely give you a fairer rate. I myself have booked the last three bookings on Cunard with a US-based travel agency and thus all my transactions have been in US dollars and converted to Canadian dollars when I charge with my credit card.

I don't think we need to be warned. Rather just educated better but let the consumer decide. I just don't see this incident as an issue to lead a boycott.

David

I certainly seemed to have stirred up a bit of a hornet's nest with my very first new post.Most of the replies seem to have disappeared at the discretion of the editor.

I must say, I am very sorry that some feel that I have been too harsh on Cunard.I have booked many cruises before but always on H.A.L. & have never experienced any problems with U.S.v Canadian dollars.Everyone involved has always been very upfront about it.On this,my first experience with Cunard,I felt that they were not as open & easy to deal with as I am used to.Yes, I was annoyed & wanted to pass this information on to others to alert them, if they were not already aware.I certainly do not plan to lead a boycotte of Cunard & indeed greatly look forward to experiencing their fine ships & great tradition.I do think however that they can handle a little criticism.

If you were well aware of all this & did not need to be warned/educated/alerted(or whichever term you prefer),then this post was not intended for you.Hopefully it will be helpful to some.However,I apologise to anyone who was offended by my post.,my tone or my choice of words.Now please do not let us blow this thing out of proportion.

Happy cruising/crossing.

Because I live in Canada,they automatically charged me in Canadian dollars.

It's not just Canadians that are mistreated - You can save over GBP 1000.00 per person (CAD 2100.00) on a C2 cabin for three weeks by booking at the US prices. Cunard don't like you doing it though and do everything in their power to stop you:(

Wow bcscot you really got a warm welcome here didn't you, though where you suggested a boycott is lost on me. Don't despair, I had the distinction of being described as "not the worst on these boards" by another poster once. Really made my day.

Thanks for your post, it was of interest to me.

David.

It's not just Canadians that are mistreated - You can save over GBP 1000.00 per person (CAD 2100.00) on a C2 cabin for three weeks by booking at the US prices. Cunard don't like you doing it though and do everything in their power to stop you:(

I recall a thread a few weeks back that looked at US/UK prices. The conclusion seemed to be that the price differential which used to favour our cousins had now pretty much levelled out because of exchange rates, and there was now not much difference. Have things changed?

David.

The conclusion seemed to be that the price differential which used to favour our cousins had now pretty much levelled out because of exchange rates, and there was now not much difference. Have things changed? David.

I think that was a comparison of brochure rates - generally I find booking via the US cheaper - the number in $ is often within 20% of the number in £ - eg $1200 vs £1000 - then you have to add in airfare to the US fare - so that maybe takes you to $1500 max....... still well below the UK rate when translated into $.

Of course it mucks up your World Club as the UK and US systems are separate - but I've gone Platinum in the US.......

Of my last 3 voyages, one (on the QE2) was booked in the UK, two (QM2) the US.

Its just a case of shopping around.

When I've called Cunard UK with a US booking they don't seem upset - they just tell me they can't access it on their system, so I have to call the US.

Peter

Bcscot:

Thanks for the info.

I did happen to read one of the original replies to your post.

It was from a Canadian and it said something like, whats your point, you got what you wanted.

That post was very sarcastic and uncalled for. Glad that it was deleted, as it should have been. Do not remember the name of that poster.

Bcscot:

Thanks for the info.

I did happen to read one of the original replies to your post.

It was from a Canadian and it said something like, whats your point, you got what you wanted.

That post was very sarcastic and uncalled for. Glad that it was deleted, as it should have been. Do not remember the name of that poster.

It was me. I was kidding. To the OP, enjoy your trip. I was just giving you the gears. As I said in my deleted post, sometimes text doesn't translate the tone.

Good Afternoon, I have also booked a QE 2 voyage in March 08 as a leg of the World cruise. When I booked back in January the price in Canadian dollars seemed quite favorable to me. However with the stronger Canadian dollar it would probably be even more favorable now.......but I probably wouldn't get the cabin I have now. I guess thats life.

Joel

Jonmar,

Just as a helpful hint. You are quite right, joviality and saying something in fun often do not come across on the net, as we have no way of gaging

facial expressions and tone of voice. I learned early in my internet career (and it has been a very long one, going back to the days of Mosaic and Pine) that adding a <G> for GRIN or <EG> for Evil grin (usually someone being funny in a dirty, but not mean way) or <VBG> very big grin goes a long way towards telling your intended recipient that you are kidding. I learned the hard way as I am notorious for sucking on my feet all the way up to my knees! why, it's a wonder I can talk at all, what with my feet always in my mouth! <G>

Of course, if you are in the right type of editor mode, there are the pre-built "smilies" to the right which you can click on to place them in the text at the point where your cursor is. Now if you already know this, I'm sorry in re-stating what you already knew. But I have been asked by enough people on these boards ho to do this, that I realized not every one knew how, and not everyone was in the same editor mode, based on their browser and its defaults. (I use Firefox by Mozilla, and

Netscape before that, I do not use Microsoft clients if possible, since those are what crackers aim their stuff at, and because I supported rival clients LONG before Microsoft had one at all! And those clients supported my needs!)

Anyway, I hope this is helpful to some out there who may not be aware of these protocols to use when you intend that something be seen as a joke. (and don't forget <LOL> Laughing Out Loud!)

No hard feelings on my part,

Bscscot, have a marvelous trip, Jonmar, I see you sailed in April, when will you be on again? Perhaps one of QE2 waning days?

Happy Monday all!

Karie,

who is grateful to the people in her net infancy who were kind enough to take her aside and show her how to NOT tick people off inadvertently!

Thought I would risk sticking my head above the parapet to see if the coast was clear! Things seem to be a little less volatile around here now. Actually turned into quite an interesting & informative discussion after all.Thank you to all of you for your input.

Back in the 1970s and, I believe, into the 1980s the fares quoted in the UK Cunard brochures were somewhat cheaper than in the US brochure when converted to Canadian dollars. But the UK brochures clearly stated - if I may paraphrase: "The fares herein apply only to pemanent residents of the UK." They may still say that; I haven't seen a UK brochure in quite a while.

The US brochure stated that the fares applied only to US and Canadian residents. At that time the Canadian dollar was quite low in comparison to the US dollar, so Cunard wanted nothing to do with it.

It appears to me that now that the Canadian dollar is almost at par with the US dollar (about 95.5 cents), Cunard has discovered a new source of revenue. They have just sent me a brochure for next year with all prices in Canadian dollars converted at some absurd rate. I am pleased to see that Cunard will, on request, give us the best available rate.

Archived