Connecting thru Houston

ell52

At end of cruise, we have an evening flight with Continental out of FLL that connects in Houston for our flight to Vancouver.

There is just under an hour for the connection: We arrive Houston at 7:50pm and the connecting flight leaves at 8:40pm. Will this be enough time to make the connection?

Our other alternative is an earlier flight to Houston, but would mean waiting around for about 4 hours between flights. :rolleyes:

Anyone have experience with Continental and or Houston?

Ell

As long as Continental sells the ticket as regularly scheduled service, you should be able to make the connection, as long as your flight from FLL is on time. Keep in mind, however that Houston Intercontinental Airport is HUGE! Your gates could be fairly close, or VERY far apart.

Yes, we are on a regular ticket. Do you know what Continental's "on-time record" is? That's probably our biggest concern as the flight out of Houston to YVR is the last of the day. If we miss it, we'd likely have to spend the night! :(

As far as gates, those they've been using the last couple of weeks are fairly close (arrive E2, leave C41) - so should be okay as longs as they don't change drastically.

Ell

There are 2 ways to find out the on-time record for a particular flight. If you go to Continental.com and enter your routing like you are going to make a reservation, when you select the flight the next screen will tell you the on-time percentage for that particular flight. The other method is to call Continental Reservations. They are required to tell you if you ask.

hope this helps.

Keep in mind that in order to be considered "Late" the flight must depart more than 15 minutes after it is scheduled. 60% is not great, but I've seen worse! Also remember that the earlier in the day you fly, the less likely there will be a delay.

If you go for it, keep in mind that if you are delayed due to Weather, or Air Traffic Control, or anything else out of Continental's control, they probably will NOT provide a hotel room if you miss your connection. If you are delayed because of a mechanical issue with the airplane, or crew issue, or anything that Continental is responsible for they should provide you with a hotel room. I look at it as it is all part of the adventure of travel!

Have a great trip...I am very jealous! I would love to do a transcanal trip. Oh well it will come with time!

Lee, thank-you for your comments. We'll stick with what we've got - worst that could happen is an overnight in Houston :cool:

We're really looking forward to this cruise! We're gradually ticking off our 'must-do' list - last year we went to Fr Polynesia. :D

Ell

I just booked a flight from OAK to FLL through Houston and our layover is 35 minutes! BUT we're leaving OAK at 6:43 am and arriving in Houston at 12:35. I'm presuming the flight will be on time as it is an early flight. We'll just have to HAUL our butts to our connecting flight and hope tha t our luggage makes the transfer as well. It's leaving from the same terminal, but I'm not sure if that really makes a difference. I guess the gates could still be extremely far apart...and at lunch time on a Thursday...

This ought to be adventure alright!

30 min is a legal connection for Houston Intercontinental, however with the addition of terminal E, I personally think that should be changed to atleast 45 min. Like the last person stated if it is a weather delay Continental will not put you up or pay any expenses. I can't remember when you are traveling but keep in mind Houstons location and it does experience weather quite often. If you are really concerned about it I would recommed the earlier flight to Houston. There are lots of places to eat in the new terminal and you would know for sure you can make it home. I work for Continental and always recommed psgrs spend the extra time in Houston to keep from being stuck someone else during weather problems....Hope this helps you a little!

• 2 weeks later...

Having flown Continental through IAH a few times, they are very aware that probably 80% people on each flight are transferring and are good at holding a connecting flight for a few minutes should things be running a bit late. ALso sometime they will ask that when deplaning that those who don't have a tight connection to wait to deplane so those who have tight connections can get out first. Surprisingly, most people heed this request and it seems that things work out.

Of course, there's always that odd chance that your connecting gate can be right next to the gate where you came in (this happened to me once).

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to let any interested parties know that we made our connection in Houston.

The arriving flight from FLL was on time and by the time we walked from the arriving gate to the departure gate, we had enough time for a BR break, then about 10 minutes before boarding. Not a whole lot of leeway, but we had been reassured by the ticketing personnel in FLL that it would be enough time and they were right. They were also nice enough to put us in seats near the front of the plane so we'd get off quickly.

ell

Archived