First Timer :) The Sapphire to Alaska 2008

ladyhoneybee

Hi :) - I've been browsing (or snooping, whatever) these boards for a few weeks now and am learning so much! I've traveled to many places near and far in my life, but never cruised before and I feel like it's such foreign territory, so I'm happy I've found a place where others share their thoughts and advice.

We're taking our first cruise summer 2008 to Alaska southbound route to Vancouver. A family of four in a balcony stateroom on the Baja deck... an aft cabin... left side of the ship for southbound travel (didn't even THINK about that myself, so 'yay' for good travel agents!) Our friends and family are traveling with us and they have reserved inside rooms right across the hall from us.

We've got two children who are under the age of 12 and we've booked one of the cabins with the pull down/out beds, which should prove to be interesting, space wise. From what I have read on the boards, Baja balcony cabins on the PS are covered, which I didn't realize. Or am I incorrect? I don't think I care either way, though I think covered sounds more appealing, for my personal tastes. I don't have anything to compare it to!

No questions, yet... just wanted to introduce myself! Though, any hotel recommendations in Anchorage will always be appreciated!

I just booked our flights yesterday with our award mileage--- marked my calendar since yesterday was officially 329 days from our return flight-- needed four award tickets, so I didn't want to risk not being able to get them so I can mark that off my list of things to obsess over :D

Look forward to learning more about cruising over the months to come!

I also want to extend a welcome to Cruise Critic and another board that may be very helpful is the Ports of Call Board, then scroll to Alaska. There is a wealth of information there and since you are not going until next year now is the time to go in there and check out the questions that people have for this year. You will also find hotels in Achorage from that very Alaska site.

Marilyn

We just got back earlier this month from the same cruise. It was the best cruise we have ever done. I would go back in a minute! We had an aft cabin on the Carib deck. If I remember correctly, the balcony on the Baja deck was mostly covered. Ours had both covered and uncovered areas. We spent a LOT of time on the balcony as the scenery is incredible! Keep your camera handy all the time. The one time I did not, an Orca whale surfaced about 15 feet off the side of the ship!

We also have 2 kids 7 & 10 and had the same cabin layout. In the evening the steward pulls the beds down and puts out the ladder. It is tight moving through the cabin at that point. We would put the ladders on the bed until the kids were going to sleep for the night. The kids clubs on the ship are great too.

We stayed at the Clarion Suites in Anchorage for 2 days before departure. It is a decent hotel within walking distance to the downtown/sightseeing area. The Anchorage Museum of History is a block away. That was a great thing to do, along with the Alaska Native Heritage Center.

Have a great time!

Archived