Can I view the ports with my cabin selection?

rogerdm

There is no way to know in advance. Traditionally, the port side of the ship was against the pier, since the steering board ("starboard") or rudder was on the other side of the ship and would be crushed between the ship's hull and the pier. By the way, this was a LONG time ago...

But anyway, on our recent cruise to Alaska, sometimes the port side of the ship was against the pier, and at other ports, the starboard side was against the pier. And to further complicate matters, when the pier is perpendicular to the shoreline (ie, New York, Vancouver, Seattle), BOTH sides of the ship have a view of the city, but one view might be more interesting than the other.

The solution: go up on deck and chack out both sides.

rogerdm:

On our 2 Hawaii cruises, the starboard side (even cabin numbers) faced the ocean when docked in Hilo and Nawilili (Kauai). In Kona and Lahaina (Maui) the ship is anchored off shore. In Honolulu it depends at what pier the ship docks. In both Hilo and Nawilili the ocean-view was much better IMO than the land-view.

Traditionally, the port side of the ship was against the pier, since the steering board ("starboard") or rudder was on the other side of the ship and would be crushed between the ship's hull and the pier.
Wow, this is funny. We have been on two Celebrity cruises, both in the Caribbean. Without exception, we docked with the starboard (right) side of the ship up against any pier. So, our experience is just the opposite of Candlelight's.

I don't think there is a general rule about docking. I think it depends on the available light when the ship is docking, the amount of daylight the captain expects at departure time, the captain's preferences, the current around the dock, etc., etc., etc.

It is kind of neat to wake up in the morning and see a new landscape outside your cabin window.

Les

Archived