Pisa tower climb?

It's a small spiral staircase without any windows (that I remember) and lots of steps! I don't have claustrophobia though so I can't comment on whether you can handle it or not. If you decide to go, buy your tickets to climb immediately upon arrival as they only allow so many people per time slot.

Many "must see" wonders in Italy require one to be in decent physical shape as well. In addition to considering one's fear of closed in places, one should ensure they are capable of the exercise, too. A wonderful trip could quickly turn miserable!

My wife is a little claustrophobic and the climb did bother her a little. It is a pretty tight spiral stair with very small openings on the way up. She is also a little afraid of heights, so this was an adventure for her. We are both in very good shape, so the climb was no big deal to us, but it is a work out. I guess you have to decide how badly you want to experience it. My wife overcame her fears, not everyone can......

We just returned from in July. While there we climbed the tower. On the way up there are some enclosed places but about every two flights you can look out a window and on some level actually walk outside the perimeter.

I am not in great shape at all and I found the climb not too bad. We went at our own pace.

I would recommend giving it a try. How many times do you get to say "I climbed the leaning tower of Pisa".

I am really glad we went thru the effort to get the tickets and the energy to complete the climb.

Don't let you fears hold you back.

Thank you very much for your replies to my question. Thankfully, my Dad has agreed to climb with my DD (age 15). We were at Blarney Castle this spring and I didn't get very far before having to turn back due to claustrophobia and it appears that the Pisa Tower would be a similar challenge for me.

Happy travels!

sweetp0618

I did the climb 3 years ago and it does have a few knnoks with open windows to rest and take a breath. I usually think of myself as claustivobic(sp?) but had no trouble.

I did arrange my ticket via the internet before we went so i was not disappoointed. Also, I found the top walk-around area, first level, not the top-most, to be more nerve wracking.... definately not up to American safety rules,...

• 2 weeks later...
Quick question-I'm thinking of booking RCLs Florence and Pisa on your own. This allows for 30 minutes once at Pisa. Think that's enough time to climb the tower? No chance I can run up all of those stairs :)

i don't think 30 mins. would be nearly enough. depending on the time of year, you need to book advance tickets for a specific time slot. they only allow 20 or so up at once. then the climb up and down and time to enjoy the view at the top.

Climbing the Tower is worth every step. We climbed in July. After climbing the Eiffel Tower a couple weeks earlier the stairs were fine. I too am claustrophobic. I kept telling myself I am not going to miss this with the children. Was it harry at times. Yes! Any regrets No! Personnally it is a must do.

Archived