Jeep Rental in Cozumel

TRAVELGUGRN

I rented a jeep at the Punta Langosta pier. A guy from Executive Car rental was at the end of the pier. He approached me and asked me if I needed to rent a car. I ended up giving him $60.50 for a jeep with full insurance (zero deductible). I've rented twice from Executive, and I've had no problems with their service, or the vehicle. We drove around the island both times and had a great time. Once you get out of town, you pretty much have the road to yourself.

A company called "Cinco Puertas" had lightweight but genuine Jeeps in good condition when we visited in 2004. There have been hurricanes and so forth since then, and I have not been able to return myself since then, but that company certainly didn't seem undercapitalized . . . . ;)

Here is a note from one who visited after Hurricane Wilma:

"Renting a Car: Some passengers who don't take one of the shore excursions and want to travel on their own may want to rent a Jeep or four-wheel-drive vehicle. Rates begin at about $45 per day and can go as high as $80, plus additional charges for insurance and gas. As of June 2006, Hertz (Five Locations: 800-654-3131) and Avis (Four Locations: 011-52-987-872-1923) are among those that have reopened for business."

We went as part of a group of perhaps ten or fourteen Jeeps to an obscure Mayan site of very little historic value; we drove ourselves, but there were about four guides with us. It is easy to get stuck in the sand when one is off-road, and FWD isn't a great guarantee of ability to get free. The roads we were on were much better than I had imagined, but once off the road there were no guarantees; and I was glad we were in a large group with a lot of Jeeps. We were pretty badly stuck twice but between having experience with severe ice conditions and spinouts and a fair understanding of transmissions, we never had to be towed . . . . :p

Thanks for all the good info. How safe is it to travel in Cozumel in a jeep with your family?

Cozumel is very safe. Here are some tips to help you out:

• Get the additional full coverage insurance -- It will keep you out of jail should there be an accident.
  • stay on pave roads -- The rental jeeps are not 4 wheel drive. Their 4 wheel drive shift linkage has been disconnected, so even if you wanted to engage the 4 wheel drive, you wouldn't be able to do it.
  • wear your seat belt -- the police do sometimes check and it is safer anywhy.
  • don't drink and drive -- designate a driver
  • get the addtional full coverage insurance -- your credit card won't cover you and you'll have to pay for any damage before you can leave the island. (see above)
  • consider a car instead of a jeep -- Cars have A/C, ride nicer, and are more secure. Jeeps offer that top-down experience, but that's about it.

Get the Cozumel map from http://www.cancunmap.com It is great.

I agree entirely with bruce-r. But unless someone has interfered with the linkage since 2004, which of course is quite possible, the Jeeps we rented had both high and low ranges in four-wheel drive, or we would probably still be stuck along the "road" running parallel to the East coast of Cozumel. Hmm, wish I'd thought of that at the time! The Jeeps all were driven on two wheels until they got good and stuck, but then we used the second shifter to engage four wheel drive and eased our way out--the guide did it the first time, and I did it myself the second time.

Of course if you are renting "on your own" the car rental companies know perfectly well how your American insurance company and your VISA card insurance won't cover ANYTHING in Mexico, so they offer the coverage you will need. Just say YES! Or SÍ! if you speak Spanish . . . .

I wouldn't be surprised if the linkage gave way in a short period with drivers like me and potholes and sandpits like those, but at the time I was driving I was more favorably impressed than I had supposed I would be. Except for the bright colors they were painted, however, these Jeeps were REALLY stripped-down versions--not your Dad's Oldsmobile by any means! If you want a picture of one in the virtual middle of nowhere on Cozumel, you may email me at dreynolds@aol.com and I will attach it to an email for you. "You can shake your teeth out AND ruin your back in one afternoon!" :D

I agree entirely with bruce-r. But unless someone has interfered with the linkage since 2004, which of course is quite possible, the Jeeps we rented had both high and low ranges in four-wheel drive, or we would probably still be stuck along the "road" running parallel to the East coast of Cozumel. Hmm, wish I'd thought of that at the time! The Jeeps all were driven on two wheels until they got good and stuck, but then we used the second shifter to engage four wheel drive and eased our way out--the guide did it the first time, and I did it myself the second time.

Were you on a tour? Those do have their linkage intact. In my experience, the rental jeeps don't. Best not to take a chance in any case.

Hi bruce-r!

Unfortunately I do not recall the tour company name--it was sold as something like "4WD Tour of Mayan Ruins" through HAL, and as I said earlier, the RENTAL company was Cinco Puertas, as I am able to verify by the name blazoned on the doors of the Jeep Wranglers. I was surprised we had to drive ourselves, actually, although I don't mind driving. Trip from the dock up a good highway to the beach "road," a terrible one-lane item through the brush to the tiny ruin, another short trip along the "road" to the swimming beach, and an al fresco hot meal complete with an importunate wild raccoon begging for our food, and return to the ship. Very nice day other than the wear and tear! But we were never "on our own." The raccoon was young and relatively polite.

I would agree with you that--unless one wants to play the fool and get stuck for all time where no one is likely to find him--one would be better off to rent a car and stay on the relatively beautiful highways, perhaps visiting San Gervasio (as we have not), which I am sure is much more archaeologically significant! :D

Archived