Celebrity or HAL??

rain_bowbrite

I am starting to think about the next cruise that I want to book and would like opinions from someone who has sailed both lines. So far I have sailed on NCL (1), Carnival (2) and RCCL (1). I know that I want to do a caribbean itinerary since departing from FL is what currently fits my travel/time budget.

However, I would like to treat myself to a more beautiful ship for this cruise and I am looking at doing either Celebrity or HAL. Although I am in my mid thirties, I am an early riser on a cruise and enjoy the activities such as the wine tastings, hot tubs, act auctions, shows, and the traditional dining experience. I am usually ready for bed by 11:00 on a cruise so late night activities are not important to me.

Who has the more beautiful ships in your opinion and how does the food compare? I am not a meat and potatoes eater and enjoy lots of spicy ethnic foods.

Thanks for any advice.

Jodie

We have been on both a few times. As long as you go on one of Hals new class of ships both lines are very much the same. I would use the itinery and price as the deciding factor.

I would give Celebrity the edge, a M Class ship. I believe this ships are easy to navigate and have some beautiful areas to relax. The T pool on Celebrity M ships is wonderful and relaxing. Our service has always been great and food was good. They do many small things, that when added together, give you a special cruise experience.

Have done both lines. my choice would be Celebrity, in fact I wish to do US/Hawaii/US in 2008, difficult to find a Celebrity ship, lots of HAL, but I still will not book HAL.

HAL food is rather bland (other than Indonesian), cabins are good but the many public areas tend to be small and chopped up. "coffee shop" oten no more than a counter,stools and plastic containers.

The passenger age groups are in the "Senior" range, HAL sells aggressively in senior living homes so many passengers are physically /mentally challenged Wheelchairs, walkers, canes, hearing aids and often confused (leading to "I did not order that" comments at the table when it was ordered, the passengers just does not remember doing so.)

This is a pity as the itinerary is often excellent .

FYI, I am 81 yrs old so my comments are not age biased, just telling it as I found it.

HAL sells aggressively in senior living homes so many passengers are physically /mentally challenged

HAL markets pretty aggressively to me and I hope I'm not included in that group. After nearly 5 dozen cruises it has been my observation that the age of the passengers is based solidly on the length of the itinerary, not the cruise line. The longer the cruise the older the passengers.

I prefer HAL for food, cabins, service and overall ambiance.

I find the decor top notch (Noordam is simply a stunning ship!).

The suite perks are far superior on HAL to X, IMO.

Speciality restaurants on X are better than HAL and I love Aqua Spa.

I appreciate the fact that HAL allows to bring wine - as much as I want - and pay a reasonable corkage fee.

:)

Take a look at the photos of the most expensive stateroom on the Zuiderdam. :eek: (Make sure you have a barf bucket nearby!)

And then tell me they have top-notch decor!!!!

Have you seen them? Been on a HAL ship?

I had one and it was superb! SB corner suites on three HAL Vista ships. And the Neptune Lounge is a true perk.

One man's trash is another's treasure.;)

Take a look at the photos of the most expensive stateroom on the Zuiderdam. :eek: (Make sure you have a barf bucket nearby!)

And then tell me they have top-notch decor!!!!

Let's start with overall comfort, namely the beds. Celebrity's bedding is horrendous, HAL has the finest beds afloat. When I last sailed on Celebrity's Summit (10nts) in CC I was shocked to see the level of maintainence on their ships. Torn fabric on sofa, stained carpets, dirty verandas that no matter how many times I requested they be cleaned, my requests were ignored. I will have to think long & hard before I would consider another cruise with them.

Have done both lines. my choice would be Celebrity, in fact I wish to do US/Hawaii/US in 2008, difficult to find a Celebrity ship, lots of HAL, but I still will not book HAL.

HAL food is rather bland (other than Indonesian), cabins are good but the many public areas tend to be small and chopped up. "coffee shop" oten no more than a counter,stools and plastic containers.

The passenger age groups are in the "Senior" range, HAL sells aggressively in senior living homes so many passengers are physically /mentally challenged Wheelchairs, walkers, canes, hearing aids and often confused (leading to "I did not order that" comments at the table when it was ordered, the passengers just does not remember doing so.)

This is a pity as the itinerary is often excellent .

FYI, I am 81 yrs old so my comments are not age biased, just telling it as I found it.

As I have not sailed Celebrity(yet) what is the average age?

I heard from some people the saled HAL that the average age is 60's and up which is fine but probably not for me.

I have sailed both lines and would prefer to sail either HAL or Celebrity over the rest of the big 8. This being said, both lines have suffered from product downgrade over the past 10 years, but with HAL sinking far below what I would consider acceptable levels for a "5 star" cruiseline.

DINING

Celebrity: Celebrity has greater attention to overall quality of food in terms of prep, ingredients, and menu selection. The lido selections still suffer from "sameness" in taste from day to day. Overall, service is very good in a european tradition.

HAL: In years past (and by this, I only mean a few years ago), dining was an event aboard the beautiful mid-sized ships of HAL. With the incorporation of the Vista Class and some rather idiotic inovations (Chef Rudi's Dinner experience - the worst idea in a long time), HAL has take a sharp dive in both food quality and service.

STATEROOMS:

Celebrity: Thankfully, Celebrity is updating it's bedding and linens, which were in desperate need of improvement. Celebrity's general staterooms are still space challenged, but their suites are magnificient. The quirky post-modern decor is not to my liking, but many prefer it.

HAL: Generous space afforded in cabins and bathrooms on the S and R class vessels, moderate space offered in the Vista class ships. Decor is classy and simple. Bedding is very high quality.

AMBIANCE:

Celebrity: Celebrity is the refined cruising experience that many folks, in all age ranges, are looking for (not every 30 something is looking for a 7 day cheezy party). Quiet atmosphere, no announcement policies, with classical music and jazz being played in hallways. Some of the artwork is a bit weird, but the overall effect works well.

HAL: HAL is seeking to change and re-brand itself by changing their ambiance and style. The "mall music" of pop and rock now follows you everywhere. I was over on the HAL board voicing my dispeasure about this with another OP and was villanized. Seriously though, this has brought the level of class down a long way in my eyes (and ears).

Those are my opinions. I'm sure there will be those that disagree with me but as a person who used to be a HAL devotee, I am more comfortable on Celebrity until RCCL and Celebrity drop the ball.

I have to defend myself here! Please take a look at this photo of the penthouse veranda on Zuiderdam.

Take a look...be honest....it's a nightmare!!! Orange lampshades, purple velour walls, eggplant carpet, pea green chairs--and don't even get me started on the sofa!!! :eek: (How that man in the photo is able to sleep in there is simply beyond me!)

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1283621539040337873BfBPZB?vhost=travel

I have to defend myself here! Please take a look at this photo of the penthouse veranda on Zuiderdam.

Take a look...be honest....it's a nightmare!!! Orange lampshades, purple velour walls, eggplant carpet, pea green chairs--and don't even get me started on the sofa!!! :eek: (How that man in the photo is able to sleep in there is simply beyond me!)

I attended meetings in the PH on the ZUI as well as cocktail parties. The CEO of the company I work with (has his own corporate jet and is well travelled) had the PH and enjoyed it enough to book it for the next 2 cruises we booked on HAL.

Apparently, not everyone shares your horror;).

I am starting to think about the next cruise that I want to book and would like opinions from someone who has sailed both lines. So far I have sailed on NCL (1), Carnival (2) and RCCL (1). I know that I want to do a caribbean itinerary since departing from FL is what currently fits my travel/time budget.

However, I would like to treat myself to a more beautiful ship for this cruise and I am looking at doing either Celebrity or HAL. Although I am in my mid thirties, I am an early riser on a cruise and enjoy the activities such as the wine tastings, hot tubs, act auctions, shows, and the traditional dining experience. I am usually ready for bed by 11:00 on a cruise so late night activities are not important to me.

Who has the more beautiful ships in your opinion and how does the food compare? I am not a meat and potatoes eater and enjoy lots of spicy ethnic foods.

Thanks for any advice.

Jodie

All of the major cruise lines are about the same. We have sailed Celebrity and Hal many times. When asking for a comparison you have to realize that there are different classes of ships on Celebrity and on Hal. The big difference is that Celebrity does have one class of ship (Millennium class) that has on-going propulsion problems. There is a sticky at the top of this forum that describes what the problems are. So to answer your question, I would pick Celebrity, by a nose, if you were talking about one of the class of Celebrity ships that does not suffer from pod problems. If you compare one of the M-Class ships to Hal then Hal would win hands down because of the reliability factor.

Jodie,

We've cruise six times on HAL and three times on Celebrity. This is just our opinion--we would give a slight edge to Celebrity. Which ever one you choose between the two you really can't go wrong. The main thing is you will be on a cruise!

I'd like to book it for the recliner if for no other reason. Give me the TV remote and I'm in my element. Oh, to have the money for the penthouse.

I just wanted to thank everyone for your great descriptions and suggestions on the two lines. I still haven't made my decision yet but seem to be leaning more towards Celebrity right now.

When looking at the deck plans of the HAL ships I really like the layout of the rooms and the shower/tub combo in the rooms but overall I think that celebrity may have more of what I am looking for in terms of ambiance. I also hear they have pretty good sushi. Does anyone know if HAL has sushi?

Thanks,

Jodie

I am going on my first cruise with Celebrity in September but am a past HAL cruiser. I am sure that I will enjoy my Celebrity cruise.

FYI- The Zuiderdam was the first "large" ship for HAL and was built to attract a younger pax base. It is by far the most garish of ALL HAL ships and should NOT be used as a judge for the complete line. Sister ships Oosterdam, Westerdam and Noordham are by far beautifully decorated.

Now is HAL perfect? No. But they are in my top two favorite cruise lines. To answer your question, alas, they do not have sushi on a regular basis - darn it!

I just wanted to thank everyone for your great descriptions and suggestions on the two lines. I still haven't made my decision yet but seem to be leaning more towards Celebrity right now.

When looking at the deck plans of the HAL ships I really like the layout of the rooms and the shower/tub combo in the rooms but overall I think that celebrity may have more of what I am looking for in terms of ambiance. I also hear they have pretty good sushi. Does anyone know if HAL has sushi?

Thanks,

Jodie

I get a kick out out of these threads comparing HAL to Celebrity and how the loyalists get excited. As you can see we are HAL regulars but have been on Celebrity and others. We are itinerary driven cruisers and choosing between HAL and Celebrity is a wonderful choice to have. Both are great preminm cruise lines. There are differences of course but mostly minor and mostly subject to personal preference. I will take a cabin on any Celebrity or HAL ship over my cabin at home 10 times out of 10.:) :D :) :D

Archived