Princess Lodge Denali

sunlover65

We are booked at the Princess Lodge Denali for one night. The morning had the NHT that we are not taking. What are some other alternatives for that time? Princess does not list any tours that would be feasible in the time frame because of the NHT.

Thanks

I assume the NHT is the morning of the day you depart Denali? If it were me, the day you arrive I would take a shuttle bus as far as you can - usually you can get at least to Polychrome Pass with a 3pm or 6pm shuttle bus.

Then the morning of the NHT you can do some light hiking near the park entrance, visit the sleddog demonstration, see the films at the WAC and Visitor Center and look at the exhibits in the Visitor Center.

I certainly hope you are not going all the way to Denali and not going inside the park!

We do hope to have time to explore the park when we are there. We arrive at about 4PM so will have limited daylight the first day. We'll have 5 hours the second morning to do anything else before leaving. I know this is not nearly enough time to do much at the park but hope for some good suggestions.

Have you considered whitewater rafting? If you have never raft before, it would be quite exciting for you. The McKinley Run just do Class I & II rapids (easy) while the Canyon Run does Class III & IV rapids (for experienced rafters and athletic beginners). There are about 4 vendors, but going through Princess would be the safest procedure if time is a consideration. There are morning runs that begin about 7:30 - 8am and ends 10:30-11. What makes it interesting is the Nenana River is fed by mostly glactial water, where they say the water is 35-37 degrees. However, in the dry suit, you will be fairly well-insulated from the cold.

I don't believe you said when you are traveling, but if it is over the next couple of weeks, be aware that sunset is not until around 10:45 pm in Denali and it doesn't get truly dark until much later. You may have more daylight time than you thought for travel into the park.

We do hope to have time to explore the park when we are there. We arrive at about 4PM so will have limited daylight the first day. We'll have 5 hours the second morning to do anything else before leaving. I know this is not nearly enough time to do much at the park but hope for some good suggestions.

Have you checked out these excursions on the Princess Site

http://www.princesslodges.com/denali_lodge.cfm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=denali

196x130-denali3.jpg

You can take the Polychrome shuttle bus departing at 6pm. It is a 5 hour round trip ride. It will require lining up a ride back to the lodge when the bus returns - someone on the bus most likely has a car who can help you there. It is a mile or so walk back to the lodge from the WAC if you walk.

Then the second morning you can do things near the park entrance - light hiking, visitor center exhibit and film, WAC film, sleddog demonstration.

Archived