Kodiak Bear Watching

keep on cruising

We are booked on the Tahitian Princess for a 14 day cruise. We will be docked in Kodiak on June 06, 2008. I really want to see the Kodiak Bears but Princess does not appear to have a bear watching tour from this port.

Has anyone taken an independent bear watching excurion in Kodiak? I know most ships do not dock there but I'm hoping someone took one while they were on a land tour.

The only company I've found so far that offers day tours is Kingfisher Aviation. Has anyone heard of them?

Thanks for any assistance.

I have been to Kodiak twice. The bears are NOT easy to find unless you go to one of the bear camps. And most of the bear camps require 2-5 days stay. Munsey's is probably the most famous. You may want to email and see what they suggest.

And you are really early for bears. They feed on the salmon. The early salmon runs will barely be starting when you arrive. I would email Kingfisher early. When I contacted them, they told us we were going to Katmai. But I think they go to the Kodiak Refuge too.

There really aren't a lot of single day bear viewing trips on Kodiak. Most of the planes fly to the Katmai out of Kodiak. I looked for a day trip when we went the second time. I really didn't want to spend 3/4 days in Kodiak. We ended up at Munsey's for 2 days. Too expensive, IMHO and not nearly as good as Hallo Bay.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy!!!

Archived