Where is the shopping better: Suva or Vila?

LouLou28

I know this is a fairly broad question, but wondered if anyone had any recent comparisons?

My husband visited Suva when he sailed on the Oriana some 25 years ago and remembers the shopping (more so for watches, etc) as being quite good. When we visited Vila earlier this year, he felt that Fiji would possibly be better.

We're going to both early 2008, and wondered what reports anyone had.

I guess I'm interested in not only watches, and the usual duty free type shopping, but also any tips on handcrafts/souviers, etc??

THANK!!:D

I know this is a fairly broad question, but wondered if anyone had any recent comparisons?

My husband visited Suva when he sailed on the Oriana some 25 years ago and remembers the shopping (more so for watches, etc) as being quite good. When we visited Vila earlier this year, he felt that Fiji would possibly be better.

We're going to both early 2008, and wondered what reports anyone had.

I guess I'm interested in not only watches, and the usual duty free type shopping, but also any tips on handcrafts/souviers, etc??

THANK!!:D

Hi LouLou, your husband will be very disappointed in Suva from the last time he was there. It has gone downhill..:( ..fast..

since the problems with the military, Suva is not a great place to visit...away from the capitol is different, nothing for shopping much .

you can buy cheap trinkets there , but I prefer Vila.

regarding the duty free shopping, I would get it in Vila.

just make sure wherever you buy duty free , that it is covered by an Australian warranty.

buying on board ship is OK.

Also check at tour desk on board ship about articles you are not permitted to bring into Australia regarding quarantine. people buy things they like, only to have them taken away when they return home.

hope you have a lovely cruise.

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

The shopping is better in Vila than Suva in my opinion, but truth be told, I wasn't that impressed by the shopping in Vila. You can buy most of the things here in Australia for basically the same price at the end of the day.

If you want good shopping then head to Asia!

If you want good shopping then head to Asia!

I'm with you on that one!

Cannot really remember Suva it was ever so long ago, but in Vila and Sigatoka(Fiji) brought nothing more than a few souviners, and gold charms for my bracelet.

Think duty free shopping is way overrated these days, I don't even usually bother with the grog. Is there something I am missing:confused:

..... I don't even usually bother with the grog. Is there something I am missing:confused:

The grog is very cheap in Vila Geri. Last year I bought a 1.75lt bottle of Bacardi for $23 and a 1.75lt bottle of Baileys for $28. MUCH cheaper than here (and bigger bottles too:D )

Karen

Hi ! Both ports are good in their own ways. They both seem to sell completely different things. Suva markets seemed to be full of wooden carvings while Vila markets and the other islands went in for sarongs, those $5 bags (you know the ones, guys!) and grass skirts.

I found the people in the Suva markets to be really, REALLY pushy and wanted to barter about the prices of everything but it's not like that in Vila where the people were more friendly and pleasant. I made the mistake a looking at this enormous wooden crocodile at the Suva markets that would've just about needed a crane or something to get it back to the ship and spent the next half an hour having this guy follow us around asking me much I wanted to pay for it! He thought I was trying to get a bargain, I think, and refused to believe I wasn't interested in a 5 foot long crocodile!:eek:

I liked the markets at Wala the best. I staggered back to the tender boat with about 15 assorted woven baskets ! Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time ! :) Happy cruising, Pink Poodle.

i found that the shops had different things too.

the best shop in suva is Jack's just a 5 min walk from the ship.

in Vila the Port Vila duty free shop is cheaper than the markets. it has a red sign and is in the town opposite the bank.

The grog is very cheap in Vila Geri. Last year I bought a 1.75lt bottle of Bacardi for $23 and a 1.75lt bottle of Baileys for $28. MUCH cheaper than here (and bigger bottles too:D )

Karen

Hi Karen,

I agree we were in Vila last november and we got 1.75 ltrs of borbourn and bacardi for 19.00 bucks each.we are going to fiji in november but we are staying at the shangri-la and im told go but your grog at sigatoka....not at the resort.i havent been to sigatoka since 1976 and it was good duty free shopping then.it had to be to lure people away from suva and lautoka:)

Hi Karen,

I agree we were in Vila last november and we got 1.75 ltrs of borbourn and bacardi for 19.00 bucks each.we are going to fiji in november but we are staying at the shangri-la and im told go but your grog at sigatoka....not at the resort.i havent been to sigatoka since 1976 and it was good duty free shopping then.it had to be to lure people away from suva and lautoka:)

Col, had a great holiday at Shangri-la few years back. Spent a day in Sigatoka stocking up on supplies, make a trip in there early on your stay, way cheaper than the resort shops, we carted a slab of beer and cokes back to resort with us, along with the usual munchies. We also went to the neighbouring village for a Rugby fundraiser one night and dined in someones house, and had kava was a fun night, they turned out to be family of a fijian guy we know here on the coast. Small world!

I've only been to Vila, but don't have high hopes... I thought the shopping was terrible, nothing much to buy, and what they did have was expensive and shocking quality. Having said that the alcohol prices and range were great so that's worthwhile.

Archived