Why use a Travel Agent

lucy2800

Well I'm not a travel agent, nor any of the people you mention above, but why would they waste their time responding to your posts?

You should get your facts straight. All of the people that were "mentioned above" (Ivan, Joe and Nita) are travel agents. Look at their posts/profiles.

You don't offer advise? Look over your previous posts. Most have a line that says "use a travel agent."

It's clear that you are not telling the whole truth about your relationship with or as a TA. Just be honest, you're giving all TA's a bad name by promoting your agenda without stating what you are.

Well stated. There is something that just doesn't smell right about this person's posts.

Wow ... such a hotly contested topic.

I guess I don't understand why. Truly, with a little bit of research booking a cruise is no different than booking any landbased hotel and who uses a TA for that? Ok so the hotel moves but really still same difference.

I use a TA now only because we have no other choice ... it's the only way to get the best deal.

That's the whole point of this, we have choices.

But TA's know there business is dying and has been for 20 years. Cruises are the last thing they they make money on, everyone else has lowered or removed commissions. That's why they defend their services.

You don't offer advise? Look over your previous posts. Most have a line that says "use a travel agent."

It's clear that you are not telling the whole truth about your relationship with or as a TA. Just be honest, you're giving all TA's a bad name by promoting your agenda without stating what you are.

So you're catching on. My advice is always to use a professional. Not sit on some message board taking advice from people you don't know and who don't know you. That's always going to be my advice. Unless if it's something stupid like "do I need a passport to go to China". Well then, if you're that dumb to post that here, yes, I'll help you out. Because you obviously need more than one person can give.

My agenda is simple. I don't do my own taxes, so I recommend my CPA to friends. I don't draw up my own contracts so I use my lawyer. I don't cut my own hair, so I have a great hair stylist. Heck, I don't even walk my own dog. And I don't have a desire to scour the internet trying to save $50 on my next family vacation, so I call my travel agent.

And as I said, I don't agree with the TAs on here and what they're doing. I'd tell you all to bug off if I were them. If they're good at what they do, they don't need to defend themselves to anyone.

You should get your facts straight. All of the people that were "mentioned above" (Ivan, Joe and Nita) are travel agents. Look at their posts/profiles.

Let me break it down for you. You addressed your post to certain people and it was in regards to being a TA (or whatever you're babbling about).

I replied that I was 1) not a TA and 2) not any of the people you were addressing in your post, BUT I was going to reply anyway.

Get it now? It's really not hard. :rolleyes:

So you're catching on. My advice is always to use a professional. Not sit on some message board taking advice from people you don't know and who don't know you. That's always going to be my advice. Unless if it's something stupid like "do I need a passport to go to China". Well then, if you're that dumb to post that here, yes, I'll help you out. Because you obviously need more than one person can give.

My agenda is simple. I don't do my own taxes, so I recommend my CPA to friends. I don't draw up my own contracts so I use my lawyer. I don't cut my own hair, so I have a great hair stylist. Heck, I don't even walk my own dog. And I don't have a desire to scour the internet trying to save $50 on my next family vacation, so I call my travel agent.

And as I said, I don't agree with the TAs on here and what they're doing. I'd tell you all to bug off if I were them. If they're good at what they do, they don't need to defend themselves to anyone.

So you don't come on these boards to give advice, other than don't pay any attention to the advice you get on these boards--just contact a travel agent. Other people on these boards are here because they perceive some value in it. You are just here to tell us that the boards are useless. Do you really think that people are going to stop doing something that they think is worthwhile, and take your word that all the information they get here is worthless? If these boards are worthless, why do you even bother to troll them.

Thanks for clearing this up. It confirms our opinions on how much credibility to give your posts.

So you don't come on these boards to give advice, other than don't pay any attention to the advice you get on these boards--just contact a travel agent. Other people on these boards are here because they perceive some value in it. You are just here to tell us that the boards are useless. Do you really think that people are going to stop doing something that they think is worthwhile, and take your word that all the information they get here is worthless? If these boards are worthless, why do you even bother to troll them.

Thanks for clearing this up. It confirms our opinions on how much credibility to give your posts.

I see, so your information to waste hours playing around on the internet looking for a deal are ok, but my information to contact a TA is not ok? You can post your opinion, but I can't post mine? Sorry, didn't see your name at the top of the website as the "owner". My mistake.

As far as I'm concerned that is the only good advice I can give most of the time.

My info is not worthless and anyone who values their time (and money) will agree I'm sure. But since this is YOUR board...I'll change to:

"Check out every website you can find. You'll find a good deal eventually, maybe." :D

There! How's that!

You're correct. I generally don't buy travel insurance. Don't need it. Either have everything covered, or am willing to assume the risk. I know my needs, and have made an informed decision not to purchase. This differs from many of you that will tell me I need travel insurance without knowing my needs. By the way, consumer reports has reported that many/most people that buy travel insurance have bought more than they need. I would trust their analysis and objectivity far more than I would trust yours.

In the past several years we've had clients airlifted off of ships and the bills for that alone were about $16,000.00 each. A friend of the family had an accident in Rome and the air ambulance home was over $60,000.00. Your fortunate to be able to afford that if something happens. It's like car and homeowners insurance, do you need it? Probably not, but for most people one little accident and it's worth every penny.

At our agency it's about split 50/50 with land tours and cruises. We have two offices about 25 miles apart in two small cities and have been in business for over 30 years. We get a lot of business from people seeing us doing things in the community. As I said before, people need to support local businesses, that 800 number or cruise line isn't going to help sponsor you kid's soccer team and donate at the local cancer walk.

I guess I don't understand why. Truly, with a little bit of research booking a cruise is no different than booking any landbased hotel and who uses a TA for that? Ok so the hotel moves but really still same difference.

They aren't quite the same. Typical hotel bookings don't require you to pay in full 60+ days in advance, implementing hefty cancellation fees if you cancel 60 days or less before checking in. Hence, cruise bookings can be more costly if something is done wrong.

But TA's know there business is dying and has been for 20 years. Cruises are the last thing they they make money on, everyone else has lowered or removed commissions. That's why they defend their services.

Not sure where you get this; more and more people are becoming TAs, not leaving the business. Hotels, rental car agencies, all inclusives, etc. all still pay commissions. Not just cruise lines. Airlines (domestic) are the only ones that don't pay commission across the board ... but some still do, if an agency is a large enough producer ... and international flights still pay commission.

So it's not like TAs are holding onto cruise commissions like they are some kind of life raft.

In the past several years we've had clients airlifted off of ships and the bills for that alone were about $16,000.00 each. A friend of the family had an accident in Rome and the air ambulance home was over $60,000.00. Your fortunate to be able to afford that if something happens. It's like car and homeowners insurance, do you need it? Probably not, but for most people one little accident and it's worth every penny.

Actually I could afford it, but I'd rather not. I have coverage for those things through my employer. If I didn't have coverage I would consider travel insurance to cover at least those contingencies. But that is the problem with people that recommend travel insurance for everyone. They do so without knowing the facts

I ask this in all seriousness, never really thought about it before, but how does one actually become a travel agent? Are there schools? Do you just get a job in one? I see things for home based travel agents all the time, what are they?

I ask this in all seriousness, never really thought about it before, but how does one actually become a travel agent? Are there schools? Do you just get a job in one? I see things for home based travel agents all the time, what are they?

I actually took courses through a college in the San Francisco Bay Area, plus there are courses offered through The Travel Institute.

The Travel Institute also offers certification tests (TAP, CTA, CTC, DS). CLIA (Cruise Line International Association) also offers certification (ACC, MCC, ECC, ECCS).

Most brick & mortar agencies (at least the big ones where I've seen them post job openings) typically require past experience, including experience using a CRS/GDS (booking system).

Anyone can hang out a shingle, and call themselves a travel agent. That's why you need to interview a TA before engaging their services ... ask about their education and training, see if they have E&O insurance, etc.

Order takers don't spend several hours with people going over all the possibilities to find out which one is the best fit for the customer. I have clients who I talk to for several weeks sometimes before they decide on what they want. Try calling a cruiseline and spending a hour or two on the phone with them. Also the posters who are saying they don't need the extra value that a TA offers are probably the same ones who won't buy travel insurance.

A home run for you Mike and I hope you play for the right team. LOL

Nita

Joe, Nita, Ivan,

How come every one of you is online right now and I venture a guess has seen this yet all I hear is crickets from you????? All you do is pick and choose what you respond too????

None of you have the (well you know) to respond? Heck, Ivan, you posted it...did you read it????

Figured that. The truth hurts.

What the heck are you mumbling about now? I guess I missed something. Of course I pick and choose what I respond to. I certainly am not going to respond to every single posting on CC or any other board. What was I doing on line yesterday (Sunday)? What does that have to do with anything? I work out of my home, I am paid commission, I spend a few hours a day on CC as well as a few other lines, including TripAdvisor and Vegas forums learning what others are saying. Does that bother you?

If you think we get great perks from the cruise companies? Think again. I don't know about all agents, but I don't even use the TA cruise discounts, there are too many restrictions.

Sure, we make a fair commission even after everything. That's on the vacations we actually sell. For all the ones we sell, there are those who either decide not to take the vacation or book elsewhere.

I think I am through with discussing this issue with you. Your mind is made up and that is your right.

Nita

You're correct. I generally don't buy travel insurance. Don't need it. Either have everything covered, or am willing to assume the risk. I know my needs, and have made an informed decision not to purchase. This differs from many of you that will tell me I need travel insurance without knowing my needs. By the way, consumer reports has reported that many/most people that buy travel insurance have bought more than they need. I would trust their analysis and objectivity far more than I would trust yours.
and you believe everything comsumer reports says. I subcribe as well, but take what the say and recommend with a grain of salt. Just wait til you need to fly home from some island because a family member has died or is sick, worse yet, you or someone in your group needs to be air lifted. yes, it is your choise, and no, not everyone chooses to purchase it. I, for one, didn't used to, but wouldn't think of traveling without it.

Nita

I think I am through with discussing this issue with you. Your mind is made up and that is your right.

Nita

I think this thread just dying a un-natural death would be best! Host Caroline, can you close this?

That's the whole point of this, we have choices.

not true, we make money on all sorts of travel:only airfare has been affected. For me, I normally do recommend my clients book their own air cause I have to charge them a service fee. If they are booking air plus a cruise or other type of vacation and are not computer savvy (spelling) I do it out of kindness I guess you would say.(no charge)

Nita

ps, I don't know why I am bothering to even discuss this with you.

pss: you are right about one thing: the business is dying in some respects and yet, I will make more money this year than in any I have been in the business, I just have to work a little harder and a little smarter for my money.

not true, we make money on all sorts of travel:only airfare has been affected. For me, I normally do recommend my clients book their own air cause I have to charge them a service fee. If they are booking air plus a cruise or other type of vacation and are not computer savvy (spelling) I do it out of kindness I guess you would say.(no charge)

Nita

ps, I don't know why I am bothering to even discuss this with you.

pss: you are right about one thing: the business is dying in some respects and yet, I will make more money this year than in any I have been in the business, I just have to work a little harder and a little smarter for my money.

Great! I'm very happy for you! Your service obviously is of great value to your clients and you are to be commended for that! How long have you been doing this?

here I go again: many of us went to travel school, others are trained on the job (not always a good idea) of course some are order takers, as we all know and as agents we cringe when we see these types. Yes, you can work from home, as I said, I do and many do, but it isn't as simple as it sounds. A good agent will know his/her business. We do extensive special training all the time, some via the net, others classes, to keep up with the changes. The company I happen to work for is number one in the nation for cruise sales. We did have to attend a training program before we could sell plus we all work for a franchise unless we are franchise owners. We have complete support from our company.

There are some home based ads you can see that attract a certain type of persceptive agent and training or knowledge of the industry isn't necessary. Most of those who become that type of agent do not last. There are benefits working from home and it is called flexibility. The disadvantage is being available almost 24/7. I often get up in the middle of the night to finish something I remember.

Also for me, anyway, I have been lucky enough to have traveled throughout the world, have cruised for many years and am retired from a major hotel chain call center. Many agents have a similar background. Does that help you?

I see, so your information to waste hours playing around on the internet looking for a deal are ok, but my information to contact a TA is not ok? You can post your opinion, but I can't post mine? Sorry, didn't see your name at the top of the website as the "owner". My mistake.

As far as I'm concerned that is the only good advice I can give most of the time.

My info is not worthless and anyone who values their time (and money) will agree I'm sure. But since this is YOUR board...I'll change to:

"Check out every website you can find. You'll find a good deal eventually, maybe." :D

There! How's that!

No, if asked, my advice would be that people should do enough research to be comfortable with their purchase. If they don't feel comfortable doing the research themselves, they should get recommendations on and use a good travel agent. I certainly wouldn't recommend that they pay a fee in addition to the cruise line's commissions. I feel safe in saying that most people here would agree that that would be really, really dumb. But I don't believe that I made any statement on this thread related to what people should or shouldn't do. I certainly wouldn't tell people that they are wasting their time seeking information on cruise critic.

How about a little full disclosure? Like prefacing every post with the statement that you think people are wasting their time on these boards, and your advice is that they contact a travel agent and disregard anything else they see on sites such as cruise critic. Then people will have all the information they need to evaluate your advice.

My sisters and I haved used an online TA for years and she is wonderful. Not only have we gotten great deals, other amenities, a reception for a group I was with, but we she gives insight into excursions and comparisons of ships as she has been on most lines. Recently, my TA did something that has made us clients for life. Our father passed about 3wks ago. My online TA, who we only seen a picture of, drove 3hrs to my fathers funeral to support us--she had car trouble along the way, but continued anyway. For that huge act, she is worth every penny I pay.:)

Also for me, anyway, I have been lucky enough to have traveled throughout the world, have cruised for many years and am retired from a major hotel chain call center. Many agents have a similar background. Does that help you?

Yes, very interesting! I didn't know what some of the good agents go through.

There does seem to be some scams out there regarding travel agents. I've done some research. But it does appear to be a good work from home business. Maybe one day for a part time job I'll join you. ;)

Nita, I agree with you and we seem to work the same way. I don't want to charge a family of 4 a service fee of $100 for 4 domestic airline tickets if I don't have to. If it is a client, I give them flight numbers and tell them to go online right to the airline's web site. If it is someone that I know that has never called me before, I have the authority to reduce their service fee if I want to. Service fees are not our bread and butter. I know I will be making money on any cruise or package they buy, so why gouge them. We sell very little air alone any more. I would rather get it packaged if the price is right, if not, oh well.

I think the death of travel agencies is slowing down. After the airlines cut commissions and after 9/11, a lot of travel agencies shut their doors stranding a lot of clients. The ones that are still around from the airline commission era are the smart ones that learned to survive. Like you said, business is up this year over last and was the same way last year. We are not going any where!

Nita, I agree with you and we seem to work the same way. I don't want to charge a family of 4 a service fee of $100 for 4 domestic airline tickets if I don't have to. If it is a client, I give them flight numbers and tell them to go online right to the airline's web site. If it is someone that I know that has never called me before, I have the authority to reduce their service fee if I want to. Service fees are not our bread and butter. I know I will be making money on any cruise or package they buy, so why gouge them. We sell very little air alone any more. I would rather get it packaged if the price is right, if not, oh well.

I think the death of travel agencies is slowing down. After the airlines cut commissions and after 9/11, a lot of travel agencies shut their doors stranding a lot of clients. The ones that are still around from the airline commission era are the smart ones that learned to survive. Like you said, business is up this year over last and was the same way last year. We are not going any where!

I hope we are not: yep, I give numbers also plus dealing with so many seniors, I sometimes just book their air for them, not using a company name.

Nita

Archived