Snorkeling for a beginner? Shallow entry or Reef? Are there places like this?

RQINFL

Does anybody know of any places with good snorkeling (does not have to be the best in Grand Cayman but a place with clear water and fish) that is either shallow water entry off a beach or reef?

Also, if you know of any private tours that go to these places that would be great. Boat tours, taxi, etc.

Thanks!

Does anybody know of any places with good snorkeling (does not have to be the best in Grand Cayman but a place with clear water and fish) that is either shallow water entry off a beach or reef?

Also, if you know of any private tours that go to these places that would be great. Boat tours, taxi, etc.

Thanks!

There's eden rock and sunset house. Both have shore snorkeling with lots of fish and close to shore. Eden Rock is within walking distance from the docks and sunset house is just a bit farther down the road. Search this thread for lots of information on both. Plus sunset house has a dive shop where you can hire a snorkel guide if you are new and would like someone to show you around.

Randall

My mother and her friends have used them several times in Grand Cayman for snorkeling and going to stingray city. They were actually reccommended by people on CC. We will be using them for my cruise in Oct. on the Westerdam. I recommend you check out there website and do a search for them on here.

Good luck and have fun, snorkeling is a blast.

When you get off the tender at the docks in Grand Cayman, turn right and go 3 blocks or so along the water. There are two places (green boxes on map) that rent snorkel gear and have easy stairways going down to the water at Eden's Rock. Here's the map:

GTown.gif

We reef snorkeled in grand cayman and it was pretty cool - we saw nurse sharks, etc... of course visibility was great. The reef was shallow, so i don't know if i'd recomend it for beginners, because you kinda have to try hard not to scrape the reef - it's that close to the surface - we also did the stingray thing which is something everyone can do.

I've always done reef snorkeling and haven't done shallow entry with the exception of SNUBA diving. So, I'd say either if you don't mind jumping in the water.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for all of the suggestions.

Snorkel2Much, Are there many fish at the places near the pier? Any chairs? Thinking that this could also allow time for shopping and town.

Also, does anybody know if there are any fish off the beach at the Ritz Carlton? Thanks~

Archived