marriott south beach

scalde

Scalde - I'm interested as well. We are trying to find a hotel, flying in 2 days early to enjoy South Beach. Will have 2 kids with us ages 13 and 8. Currently pondering Doubletree Surfcomber and Royal Palms. Both seem to have mixed reviews on tripadvisor. Looking for safe, comfortable place to stay that has a pool and where we can walk to restaurants, enjoy nice beach. currently planning on taking Shuttle from airport to SB, then taxi to port.

Anyone w/previous pre/post South Beach stay that can share?

Looking for safe, comfortable place to stay that has a pool and where we can walk to restaurants, enjoy nice beach.

We're staying here one night pre-cruise in mid August. Reviews looks good from what I have seen.

I'm not sure when you are going, but on our reservation is it noted:

The pool and whirlpool are closed for renovation from May 7, 2007 to December 15, 2007. Beach chairs are complimentary during the renovation. Alternate pool location is available.

scalde, no matter how late you arrive in South Beach, there will still be tons of dining, shopping, and nightlife open. South Beach is a very late town. The Marriott is a really nice hotel but it is South of Fifth. If you don't have kids, Nikki Beach will be in full swing past midnight if you want to party a little.

I'd say there is more open past 10PM than opens before noon.

cdeliso, of your two hotels, I am partial to the Doubletree Surfcomber. The Royal Palm is also a fantastic hotel. I can't quite figure out what the negative reviews were except that they were both very crowded and probably sold out. The locations are almost identical. I think there are only one or two hotels separating the Royal Palm and the Surfcomber. Either hotel I think you'll be pleased.

If you have kids, they'd probably enjoy the fact that the Surfcomber was host to MTV for both years they were in Miami for the MTV Music Awards.

nicschick, which hotel are you refering to?

My response was in reply to the South Beach Marriott. Sorry I forgot to clarify.

Gotcha!

However I'm surprised they don't offer free beach chairs anyway since they are one of the few oceanfront hotels on Ocean Drive.

Now I'm rethinking our pre-cruise hotel choice in SoBe. There was a write-up on trip advisor by a couple who said it is not for families. We would be going with our kids ages 13 and 8. Should we really stay in Miami beach instead to avoid party crowd, toplessness, etc??? (looked up and Doubletree Ocean Pt looked nice?)

Any assistance appreciated --

Archived