Texting cost while cruising?

wildsloth

My family will be taking our first cruise in September. I've appreciated all the great information I read here. Now I have a question that I cannot find a definitive answer to. I'm wondering if there is a cost for sending or receiving a text while cruising. Our two kids (age 13 & 16) use their cell phones non stop to text. They don't talk, they just text. I contacted Cingular, our provider, and they claim there is no cost for text messaging while cruising (however this seems somewhat like asking a burglar if you should lock your doors at home while away). Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Thanks in advance for any help.

My solution would be to take the phones away. It's likely they won't work on board anyway unless you have a specific service and you could get charged by the cruiseline. Mine only worked in Puerto Rico and within tower range as I didn't buy the special service offered by my carrier for foreign countries. My teenager is the same way but there are limits. I would take the phones after the first evening and leave them in the safe for the duration of the cruise. After all, this is family time and they'll see their friends soon enough. Just my 2 cents. Have fun!!

I'm 16 and traveled to Spain in June. While there, I had the International phone plan. We just got the bill, and the few texts that I sent from Spain to friends in the US cost $0.50 each. I also received a few from friends in the US, but off the top of my head, I'm not sure how much it cost me to receive them.

-Tricia

I spoke with Cingular (now ATT) about this recently since we are cruising soon and they said that since we would be in international waters the cost would be .65 per text for sending and receiving. Their text messaging packages will not cover these charges.

If you are in the US and send a text to an international location then the rates that are in the link someone else already posted apply.

Also rates for calls are either $2.49 or $2.69 (I can't remember which) a minute because you are paying for international roaming. I asked if this applied to family members since we are in the same calling plan and normally talked to each other for free and was advised that the higher rates would apply.

Needless to say, my kids are leaving their phones at home.

Hope that helps! :)

I had called Cingular/AT&T just a couple of day ago with this question. The rep I spoke to pointed out that even if our phones were off, if someone left a voice mail or sent a text message, we would be subject to the international rates. So based on what I was told, locking the kid's phones in the room safe will not prevent additional charges. The only way to avoid this is to leave the phones at home.

Tell them to use email in ports - it's VERY cheap and they can contact their friends at each port if they like. One more perk of going to Paradise Beach if your cruise stops in Cozumel - free internet right on the beach!

The voice mail will not be charged until you listen to it when you call your mail box and the text will not be charged until received. so if the phone is turned off it will not receive the text. I had mine on the cruise in Dec and received voice mail when i did not answer but was not charged until i listened to the message did not receive any text while on the ship. I used my phone to call home and check on the daughter it was cheaper than using the ship phone. I have cingular the new AT&T.

The voice mail will not be charged until you listen to it when you call your mail box and the text will not be charged until received. so if the phone is turned off it will not receive the text. I had mine on the cruise in Dec and received voice mail when i did not answer but was not charged until i listened to the message did not receive any text while on the ship. I used my phone to call home and check on the daughter it was cheaper than using the ship phone. I have cingular the new AT&T.

This is correct, however check your bill when you get home. I had my phone ring while in port on the ship. I did not answer it, no message was left (or of course picked up) & I was charged .79 (Mexico rates). I called & since there was no corresponding call for the charge, they took it off. I definately agree about leaving phones at home. Kids do have to learn financial limits.

This is correct, however check your bill when you get home. I had my phone ring while in port on the ship. I did not answer it, no message was left (or of course picked up) & I was charged .79 (Mexico rates). I called & since there was no corresponding call for the charge, they took it off. I definately agree about leaving phones at home. Kids do have to learn financial limits.

:eek:

Thanks for the clarification...I didn't think that was how it worked! Although, I would have to agreee to watch your bill~And of couse limit time spent on the phone! Yes, I know it's a vacation, but when DH & I went on our cruise, we called home 2 times, and BOY WAS IT EXPENSIVE!!!

I was planning on my daughter ( age 12) and I being able to text each other onboard Glory ( we both are on Verizon) as a means of keeping in touch when seperated...I am hoping I can do this and keep it reasonable in $$. Guess I'll call verizon wireless tomorrow.

I was planning on my daughter ( age 12) and I being able to text each other onboard Glory ( we both are on Verizon) as a means of keeping in touch when seperated...I am hoping I can do this and keep it reasonable in $$. Guess I'll call verizon wireless tomorrow.

You might want to try a set of FRS radios (walkie-talkies) instead... they're available at Walmart/Target/Etc for around $50ish - or even less on ebay. Might end up saving some money, and then you can use them elsewhere too.

Only tricky thing is that there could be others on the same frequency, but the better ones have quite a few to choose from, so you should be okay.

Have a great cruise!

Personally, I'd leave the darn things home. I'd be afraid of a nasty surprise when the next bill came.

We found the walkie-talkies to be nearly useless, reception was terrible when we tried them. We use a check-in system ("Be at the Promenade cafe at 3:00") which works well for our daughter, but then she's almost 16.

I had called Cingular/AT&T just a couple of day ago with this question. The rep I spoke to pointed out that even if our phones were off, if someone left a voice mail or sent a text message, we would be subject to the international rates. So based on what I was told, locking the kid's phones in the room safe will not prevent additional charges. The only way to avoid this is to leave the phones at home.

If they are turned off, you will not incur any charges.

My Cingular phone stayed in the safe from the day we left Miami until we arrived back, and it was off.

No charges.

T-mobile charges $0.35 per text or picture (Sending and receiving). The clincher to the cell phone issue is that if your phone is on, then you get charged. If the satellite has to locate your phone, you are charged. If you keep the phone off and turn it back on in Mexico and have 30 text messages waiting for you, then you get charged for all 30.

We had to add International service to our account as well. It was around $5 for the month. Every provided is a little different, but we traveled with a large group who used about every provider imaginable. Every one of them different, Every one of them expensive!

I work for Cingular the new AT&T there will be international text charges if you use this service while on board. Also understand the cruise lines have to opperate there cell service at sea just like it says at SEA. Meaning if you are in port, say in Cozumel and you have cell service you will be subject to the rates applied to Mexico international service. At sea or in port its all international just make sure you understand what the rate is on the ship and the diffrence from port to port. In many cases the network you are using while in ports will not be Cingular it will unicell or something of that nature.

If they are turned off, you will not incur any charges.

My Cingular phone stayed in the safe from the day we left Miami until we arrived back, and it was off.

No charges.

This for the most part is correct if your children have people send them text alot take there phones away and cut them off until you arrive back in a us port.

Archived