Macrobiotic diet??

HollyB

Has anyone been on a macrobiotic diet?

My friend runs a clinic and she has been harping on at me to change to macrobiotic food.

Seems VERY healthy but pretty complicated?

Anyone know anything about macrobiotic foods?

Thanks!!

Hi Holly! Where have you been hiding? How's the pregnancy going? I hope you are not having morning sickness. :)

I found some info on the internet about the macrobiotic diet that you might find helpful. I've never heard of it before, but here's the link: http://www.macrobioticcooking.com/

Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing. :D

...Oh dear..this is one of my sad moments...

Very sadly..I lost the baby nearly three weeks ago now.

Its been a terrible time for us. Its been one never ending roller coaster of emotions, some day up, some days down.

On a positive note..I am trying to get that "feel good" factor back again and as I gained quite a bit of weight over this last three months, am trying to get back on track again.

I am going on holiday in six weeks time. NOT a cruise this time, going for total rest and relaxation to a very quiet part of Egypt called Nuweiba which is on the Sinai coast on the Red Sea. Very beautiful, warm sunny place with nothing to do but swim, snorkel, sunshine and recover from our experience.

Two weeks of bliss...lovely..and just what we need!

Going to try once again for a baby..maybe the Red Sea will be lucky for us! In the meantime, I want to make sure I am eating well AND shifting some of those pounds!

I am interested in learning about Macrobiotic foods so will check out the web pages..thank you!

My friend gets back home soon and when she does I think I am going to get her to put me on a programme but in the meantime I wanted to learn more.

I am a bit fed up with weight watchers and I feel my body needs some real norishment. Since this time last year I am probably about 16lbs heavier so need to get it off again! I ballooned the minute I was pregnant, and mentally, its pretty difficult to come through all of this and try to be positive.

I am doing LOADS of exercise though which of course is the key. I find it helps me mentally too and gives me a real "feel good" factor when I have burned up some energy.

So...will keep checking in on this board over the next six weeks and hopefully get some lbs off!

Speak to you soon

Luv Hollyxx

Holly, I am truly sorry to hear that you lost the baby. I'm proud of you for trying again and hopefully everything will work out for you. Eating healthy and exercising is a great way to start. You have my thoughts and well wishes.

It sounds like your vacation in Egypt will be heaven. I hope you and Vincent have a wonderful trip. Take care! :)

Oh my God Holly,

First of all let me say how very sorry I am for your loss. Hopefully on your holiday you can find some peace. It sounds like you are going to a very healing place.

I don't know a whole lot about macrobiotic other than it relies alot on seasonal fresh items. I had a friend at a job I used to have who had followed macrobiotic eating for years. He was a traveling systems trainer and I always remember that he traveled with huge cooler all the time. We talked about a it a few times and frankly to me it sounded like way more work than I wanted but he had heart issues and I was 26 at the time.

I think that like many of the more rigid (for lack of better words) diet forms like raw, vegan, etc it really works for some and they can embrace macrobiotic for life. Other people look into it, try it and say "no thanks!"

Take care and have a healing and wonderful trip.

Tami

A very close freind of mine has been on that diet for years... he is very thin, but his doctor made him add protien, so he now eaas fish and some meat now and then. Also his cholesterol is thru the roof, so he is going to try low carb to get his numbers down.

HollyB, I've been wondering how you were doing and am so sorry to hear about your loss. I was thinking about you because there are 12 years between our two sons, so I felt a bit of a bond with you when I heard your news a couple of months ago. Believe me, in those 12 years, we rode a rollercoaster of emotions (as you can imagine!). I hope for you it will make your marriage even stronger (as it eventually did ours). Those hormones can really mess us up, so just hang in there.

We're off to Barcelona tomorrow (our 29th anniversary and my parents' 50th) taking our 12 year old and sadly leaving our 24 year old for work and school (I know, we have to let go some time!!!:o ).

Have a great time in Egypt! Hope it's "magical" for you!

Nanette

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts.

Unfortunately I am having a wee relapse just now and Nanette, you are absolutely right, hormones are playing havoc and my body still thinks its pregnant..so..I will be back soon to join you all in the battle of the bulge..meantime..need to take some time out to recover.

Nanette..have a great time in Barcelona...OHHHH those shops!!!

Thanks for the info on macrobiotic...I am still going to look into it, but docs orders right now are to stop punishing myself so...time out is on the cards, just some healthy eating and exercise...but no challenges at the moment!

See you all soon

xxxxx

HEllo! I wanted to say that the Macrobiotic diet can be great. You should check out the Kushi institute in MA if you are serious. I believe it helped me create a healing event from an autoimmune illness that could have killed me fifteen years ago. A medication took away my sense of taste and my yoga teacher gave me a list of foods that I'd eat because I couldn't taste anyway and I started to shock everyone by getting better! I also had a freind who was dying of liver cancer and the diet helped make her death alot less painful. (She was already too far gone for it to heal her). NOW! The down side is that it is a tough diet to follow in our culture, or any for that matter. I almost slit my wrists while trying to skin a gourd! Everything is prepared fresh. It helps you to be mindful of your eating, but it is alot of work.

I went to a training course for yoga therapy and the whole week-end was macrobiotic and it was kind of nice.

I love the diet and I recommend it as a spiritual and body cleansing journey. It helps you understand that much of our food has life in it and when it is processed or even cooked a certain way, the life is taken from it and, therefore, we don't get it. I learned alot from it, especially the second time I did it to help a friend rather than following a menu from a yoga teacher because I couldn't taste any way.

I hope you have a good journey and that, whatever you decide, it helps you get where you need to go! :)

I think I came away from my second macrobiotic journey witha lot of new awareness about food, but it was just too time consuming for me.

Archived