*Newbie to Carnival - What should I know?*

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and have never been on Carnival before I have sailed RCL and NCL, but never Carnival. What's the good, bad and ugly?

I'm sailing on August 23,2008 - I have lurked enough to know I should start a roll call anything else? Oh, I've got to get a siggie right? :)

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and have never been on Carnival before I have sailed RCL and NCL, but never Carnival. What's the good, bad and ugly?

I'm sailing on August 23,2008 - I have lurked enough to know I should start a roll call anything else? Oh, I've got to get a siggie right? :)

The good, the bad, and the ugly?? Loaded question........what's good to some, is ugly to others.

Just go in knowing that there will be differences......and just try to see it as a vacation. Take it for what its worth. Carnival puts out a good product for the money. Make your comparrisons to the other lines after the cruise to see if Carnival is still in your future.

Going in with realistic expectations will help too......a 3 day cruise mid summer would probably have more kids than a 8 day southern in October.

Have a GREAT cruise!!!

that's great advice. I think I'm gonna have a great time! Are there any threads in particular I should look at?

Will there be a lot of kids in August?

welp I'm a Cruise Critic addict--I read almost all of them :D

Have fun! A new line means a new experience on a type of vacation you already know you enjoy.

You're on the Carnival board--of course we're all gonna tell you we love it!!

I really enjoy trying the different cruise lines, I find something to like with all of them. I am not loyal to any cruise line, but Carnival is one of my favorites. I don't know if you enjoyed RCL or NCL more, but Carnival is more like RCL than NCL, and for me that is a good thing.

We cruised Carnival Pride 2 years ago and had a great time! There were alot of families with young children (elementary school age), but they didn't seem to be underfoot. No problem.

Compared to RCL Mariner of the Seas, the Pride did an excellent job of spreading people all over the ship. I rarely felt crowded, which is a big plus.

Enjoy!

You will have better food and service on Carnival than you did on RCL and NCl. I have sailed both those lines once my next trip in a few month on Carnival will be my fifth. That should say something.

Carnival puts out a much better product than most cruise lines do. You will find that you will have a lot more fun and enjoyment than on those other lines you mentioned. Have a great time and tell everyone about it when you come back.

Kaperino: The addictiveness of this new cruise line is thrilling. This is what I'm afraid of it being addictive! The Carnival Liberty looks like a fantastic ship and I'm excited! I can't wait to see the jumbo tron and i heard there is a deli and 24 hour pizza??

I won't know what to do with myself!

I have sailed with Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Princess and I have yet to have a bad cruise on any of them.

Carnival provides a great product for the price.

Food = As good as the rest - exception the breakfast buffet, limited choices, lowest quality of the bunch but overall not bad just not as good as others.

Service = Dinning room - Excellent - I have been on 9 cruises and some of the best waiters have been on Carnival. Cabin Stewards - On Carnival they seem to have too many rooms to attend to, you rarely see them and when you do they seem like they are under pressure. They do a good job but they are not as attentive and outgoing as they are on other lines.

Rooms - Even the most basic rooms on Carnival are large. I have always had a couch in my room which I could not say for other lines at higher costs.

Not that you will have time to watch it, but the TVs on Carnival have the best selection. On my three Carnival cruises all had network tv so if there is a show that you don't want to miss you can watch it.

Hope this helps.

carnival gives you a little basket of goodies. it may not have the essentials, so bring what you want. they have soap & shampoo in shower. i enjoy the little basket. once it had toothpaste samples, disposable razors, etc. we thought the beds were nice & the cabin was larger than some. we liked carnival although we waited years to try it. we will go on #3 in oct. have fun.

Do you get a basket of goodies everytime you go with Carnival? How sweet of them? That's a nice touch!

:D

your screenname is so similar to another poster's that i had to do a double take, thinking you might have just returned...

the goodies are not "eats" see trvlgurl's reply.

your screenname is so similar to another poster's that i had to do a double take, thinking you might have just returned...

I know how that is. I had a friend like that on the RCI thread that went away for months and someone popped up with a similar name and I thought it was them too! :p

Oh, and I didn't think it was eats, but it may have sounded like I did. I'm all for any goodies as we didn't get them before. (we did get picture frames for being a past cruiser)

There is alot to know about Carnival, I suggest heading down to Staples and buying lots of Pens and Paper. :D

Fred

Archived