Priceline and New York Zones

pamwinn

I've never been to NY so I don't understand the different areas. I would like to stay right in the middle of Times Square precruise. What zone would that be? I don't have a clue. Also, I know I'll probably have to give in and add another zone. What zones are in the same vicinity? We hope to spend 2 days precruise. The hotels are so out of sight that I have to use Priceline to book.

Pam I wonder if you should post this question on the North American Homesports forum and then East Coast Departures. I have noticed that New York is mentioned there alot. Maybe that might help.

Marilyn

Pam, I too am in the process of locating a hotel for our one night precruise in NYC this Fall. If you'll go to betterbidding.com(hope it's ok that I post this here), take some time to familiarize yourself with the site and then post a question including your date of stay and your budget, you will get a reply about how to best obtain a hotel through Priceline.

Hotel prices in NYC are very expensive, especially during the Fall which is one of the most expensive times. Be sure and check out the NYC forums on tripadvisor. There's alot of great advice and hotel reviews. We were in NYC last October with family and ended up getting an apartment by the night a lot cheaper than any hotel we could find. We don't need that this year though.

I actually have a cancelable fall back in case a better deal doesn't come through.

Now to your question about zones: NYC is really not that big in area and the majority is just a few minutes cab or subway ride away. For one night, Times Square will be ok but remember it's very noisy and crowded!

Priceline, Hotwire, and other sites sometimes use their own descriptions you need to familiarize yourself with however here's a map showing you the areas:

http://www.nyctourist.com/map1.htm

If you're going to basically stay in the Times Square area, then you will be ok with a hotel in Times Square/Theater district, Midtown Central, Midtown East or West, Murray Hill (where we stayed last year and could walk to TS in about 20 minutes). Midtown South then Downtown would be the financial district and further away then the upper West and East sides with Central Park in between.

Actually in looking for a map, I just found this that will explain better than I can:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midtown_Manhattan

Whatever you do, if you're looking at anything less than a 3* in NYC, make sure you read trip reviews and look at the traveler's actual photos(not just hotel website photos) and reports before buying.

Good luck!

Oh, and make sure you know if your ship leaves from the Brooklyn or Manhattan terminal...this might help you with your decision.

Archived