New WOE + leg and toe cramps!

ottergirl

I've been changing the way I eat for about the last 2 weeks, and definitely hitting it hard core this week. I am cutting out sugar and most carbs, meaning bread, pasta, rice, etc. I have been eating beans, tomatoes, fresh veggies, some fruits, beef, chicken, cheese and veggie patties- and similar types of foods. I have been drinking plenty of water, and really only water. No diet soda, no teas, etc. Pretty much only water. I am even trying to cut out Splenda (which I use in my tea and coffee, so without it I am limited to just water.) Oh- I also did have a couple glasses of wine when we went out to dinner the other night (sugar and carbs, I know!) This is a shock to my system because I love sugar, and I use Splenda every day.

Last night I had unbelievably painful cramps in my toes and calves! I was up all night crying, trying to get my toes to uncramp. It was horrible. They just kept cramping up and I could not get them to stop. My calves were twitching, barely cramping, but I knew the possibility was there. I got up and took some potassium pills, and drank a big glass of water, and then I did that this morning too to try and avoid any more cramping tonight because I can still feel that tightness in my toes. I am tired, my belly does not feel good, I am hungry, have a headache, am craving sugar, and my toes are mutinous!!!! :eek:

Has anyone experiences this before, and if so, do you know how I combat it?

Thanks and good luck to all.

BTW- My skirt is loose on my this morning, so it's all worth it. LOL

Nothing wrong with some carbs ... they give energy. Are you taking a multi-vitamin. Sometimes leg cramps means a lack of calcium or magnisium or using muscles that haven't been used and not doing stretching before AND after excersizing.

JMHO --- but I found that I am losing weight by having a life style change that I can keep forever (I'll add extra good food after the weight loss is over), Biggest difference this time is that I am enjoying what and how I am eating. Jan

Yeah, ya know- I did not really mean to cut out all carbs, it just happened that way, that this is what I had around the house to eat that was "good for me." The veggie patty and beans both have carbs in them.

I am not taking a multi! I will stop at the store on the way home and get one. Still not sure exactly what I did to throw off my system, but maybe the vitamins will help.

Good luck with your plan and thanks for the response.

Wow, that sounds scary!

I also get leg cramps from time to time. It does hurt!!!! Sometimes I take 15 minutes before bed to stretch out, it helps me to sleep better and relaxes some muscles, too. You could even try taking a warm relaxing bath.

I have also heard that lack of potassium can cause these cramps, but I see you took a supplement. Nevertheless, I think adding a multi-vitamin is a good idea.

On a happier note, congrats on the loose skirt!!! :)

:p I did not add the potassium supplement until the horrid cramps came on, but it did seem to help. DH keeps the house cold, and I think that added to it. Last night I had taken my potassium, made sure to inculde some carbs in my day, and work knee socks to bed. I felt that small twinge like my toes wanted to cramp, but it was ok, nothing horrible.

Thanks for the response. On a side note, I still did not get to sleep on time because I was trying to finish the end of Harry Potter, which was like a freaking awesome roller coster ride at the end!

I could see how HP could keep you awake! It was so worth it, right?

I bought it on Saturday and was finished by Sunday. I told everyone that I would be pretty useless until I finished it, so not to be offended! :D

I just wanted to read it before anyone spoiled it for me! The news, etc. kept talking about it, and my sister spoiled the 6th book for me, so I really wanted to get to it before everyone else.

Anyway, glad to hear you didn't have lots of cramping again!

Thanks- it was a great read, especially the last quarter of the book. She is an amazing writer.

Tell me about it! I have been avoiding most media all week to try and avoid spoilers, and I have to say it- I think this was kind of wrong, my coworker blurted out the ending to me on Friday night, that she'd heard from reading spoilers, which I won't add here. BUT- because the ending was so, er, fragmented- it did not "ruin" it for me, but I had an idea, in general, what would happen.

Time to reread the series, and see movie #5 :)

I've been changing the way I eat for about the last 2 weeks, and definitely hitting it hard core this week. I am cutting out sugar and most carbs, meaning bread, pasta, rice, etc. I have been eating beans, tomatoes, fresh veggies, some fruits, beef, chicken, cheese and veggie patties- and similar types of foods. I have been drinking plenty of water, and really only water. No diet soda, no teas, etc. Pretty much only water. I am even trying to cut out Splenda (which I use in my tea and coffee, so without it I am limited to just water.) Oh- I also did have a couple glasses of wine when we went out to dinner the other night (sugar and carbs, I know!) This is a shock to my system because I love sugar, and I use Splenda every day.

Last night I had unbelievably painful cramps in my toes and calves! I was up all night crying, trying to get my toes to uncramp. It was horrible. They just kept cramping up and I could not get them to stop. My calves were twitching, barely cramping, but I knew the possibility was there. I got up and took some potassium pills, and drank a big glass of water, and then I did that this morning too to try and avoid any more cramping tonight because I can still feel that tightness in my toes. I am tired, my belly does not feel good, I am hungry, have a headache, am craving sugar, and my toes are mutinous!!!! :eek:

Has anyone experiences this before, and if so, do you know how I combat it?

Thanks and good luck to all.

BTW- My skirt is loose on my this morning, so it's all worth it. LOL

Just a thought... I would suggest a chelated MULTI mineral supplement taken with food, not just potassium, it needs to work with other minerals.

Mike

Thank you for not ruining the ending for those of us who are half way through HP!!!

I know I'll be finished by tomorrow. My DS is waiting to read it after me.

As for the leg cramps, I believe you need to take your calcium pills daily and that should help with the cramping.

I've been eliminating sugar, flour, rice, potatos, pasta etc. from my diet since the beginning of the year. I started slowly though, first reducing, then cutting out, so I didn't experience any of the cramping you have. On the plus side - I'm down 30 lbs. It is a WAY OF LIFE, not a diet. Hang in there and you'll be happy with the results.

PS. - Sugar Free Sheila uses Splenda in all her recipes. You could check out her website Sugarfreesheila.com.

Cindy

Hi ottergirl,

This is going to sound absolutely crazy, but I have found on the occasion that i have had cramps inthe calf or toes if I stand on something really cold it slowly starts to go away.I keep a freezer pack just for that.One of our friends used to be a drummer in a band (he would often complain of cramps)and it helped him too!!!!

Sue

Sue - My FIL used to do the same thing for charlie horses ... cold floors always work!! (His ended up being caused from lack of calcium .. which made him end up going from 6'3" to about 5'3" ... some men get osteoporosis too.). Jan

This may sound crazy but here goes:

Put a bar of soap in between your sheets of your bed. Works like a charm.

There is a Dr. Gott that writes articles in our newspaper and he doesn't know why it works but it does.

Archived