Should The Buffet Be Serve Yourself???

I would like them to make the buffet into a cafeteria too.

And about the germs on the handle of the serving spoon...my DD who is graduating magna cum laude next week with a degree in biology recently informed me, with a bit of eye rolling, that "Mom, germs move. They don't stay on the bottom of your shoes."

I would guess that they don't stay on the handle of the spoon either.

I too would like to see them serving me up on Lido, I remember one year on either the Spirit or the Pride that the cook had the tongues inside the Grille Area, and he served us the fries and hotdogs to prevent any type of contamination.

Fred

Okay, if they have started serving food with their tongues, I'm bringing my own :p:p:p LOL

Seriously, all the grilles I have been to, they serve you... I haven't seen a "serve yourself" grill.

I'd be more than happy to pay a few $ more to be served at the buffet if it would keep things cleaner. I can't believe the gross things that people do in a buffet line at any age. Disgusting! As long as they don't give me huge portions, I'll be good to go.

My view...

I put down my tray at the table and walk over and wash my hands a second time. I don't know how many people have washed their hands and I certainly don't know the people who have used those tongs and serving dishes. I only use cutlery that has been wrapped in a napkin. I won't touch my food with my hands, usually. And if I need the salt and pepper, I pick those up with the napkin as well.

Once my hands have touched any ship surfact, I consider them to be contaminated. I can usually avoid it easily. I use the back of my hand or knuckle to push elevator buttons. I use paper towels to open the bathroom doors (a larger chance of fecal contamination by people who don't regularly wash their hands.) And if I can't find a place to throw it out, I bring it to the table and throw it out there.

Many years ago I was in a movie theatre and they ran out of soap in the bathroom. I walked over and asked for the manager. I then shook his hand and then told him that there was no soap in the bathroom I just came from. He got the message really quickly and they got soap up to that bathroom. And then I went to another bathroom to wash my hands. And so did he. It's a lesson people don't soon forget.

Sounds to me like you'd be happier and better off living in a bubble. Sheesh, I'm all about the philosophy--What I don't Know Won't Hurt Me. I've been living life that way for 33 years and I rarely get sick and I don't wash my hands 3 times during a meal, I do use the tongs, heck I even use the condiment bottles. I've been on MANY cruises and have never gotten sick and I don't walk around with a spray bottle of Lysol or hand sanitizer. I wash my hands after I've used the restroom, and before I eat a meal and that's probably about it, unless I've gotten something on them. But to each their own I guess...If you want to walk around washing your hands 100 times a day, far be it from me to tell you what to do, I just don't see how you can be having any fun if you're so worried about germs and the petrie dishes that are the buffet line, or tables, or whatever.

Okay, if they have started serving food with their tongues, I'm bringing my own :p:p:p LOL

Seriously, all the grilles I have been to, they serve you... I haven't seen a "serve yourself" grill.

That's what I was thinking!! LOL!!

I think I actually do remember seeing the fries and other "grille food" being self serve at times, but not at the actual grille. It was at one of the lines outside on the Lido deck, where they had cooked the food elsewhere and put it on a buffet line during lunchtime.

Sounds to me like you'd be happier and better off living in a bubble. Sheesh, I'm all about the philosophy--What I don't Know Won't Hurt Me. I've been living life that way for 33 years and I rarely get sick and I don't wash my hands 3 times during a meal, I do use the tongs, heck I even use the condiment bottles. I've been on MANY cruises and have never gotten sick and I don't walk around with a spray bottle of Lysol or hand sanitizer. I wash my hands after I've used the restroom, and before I eat a meal and that's probably about it, unless I've gotten something on them. But to each their own I guess...If you want to walk around washing your hands 100 times a day, far be it from me to tell you what to do, I just don't see how you can be having any fun if you're so worried about germs and the petrie dishes that are the buffet line, or tables, or whatever.

No, quite far from a bubble. But I also went three years without having to take a sick day off of work... while working in a school. Why? Because I wash my hands before I eat. I wash my hands when I get home. I am mindful not to put my hands to my eyes or nose. I'd rather take the 5 to 6 minutes a day extra to wash my hands than to be sick.

My students are taught to wash their hands out of respect for themselves and for others. They don't need to bring someone else's disease from one keyboard to another.

You never know about someone else's immunity. There are many people with compromised immunity (the young, the old, the infirm and those with other diseases), not to mention that people will infect others, like children, hospital workers, etc. Read a bit about SARS and you will understand that hand washing is the number one tool in our society to cut down on disease transmission. Then stand inside a men's or lady's washroom and look at how many people wash their hands.

Bathrooms are just plain nasty and a great way to observe the hygenic habits of others or lack there of. I cannot even count the amount of times I see women come out of the bathroom stall and not wash their hands. Or they come out, check themselves in the mirror and the head out. Or they come out, check their hair, apply some lipstick and then wash their hands. What is wrong w/ people??? I am w/ those who take a paper towel to the door and then use it to open the door, if there is a garbage near the door then I drop it in there, if not on the floor it goes. When I was in school I used to drop my paper towel on the ground because the school did not have a garbage near the door. Everyday there would be paper on the floor near the door, not just mine but other's as well. Then one day there was a garbage can placed there, I guess they figured it out.

My mom is a nurse, now she teaches nursing and this is what she teaches her students too. I have taught my DD this as well. I love seeing her wash her hands, grab a towel and use it to turn the water off, then grab another one to open the door.:D

Bathrooms are just plain nasty and a great way to observe the hygenic habits of others or lack there of. I cannot even count the amount of times I see women come out of the bathroom stall and not wash their hands. Or they come out, check themselves in the mirror and the head out. Or they come out, check their hair, apply some lipstick and then wash their hands. What is wrong w/ people??? I am w/ those who take a paper towel to the door and then use it to open the door...

I have taught my DD this as well. I love seeing her wash her hands, grab a towel and use it to turn the water off, then grab another one to open the door.:D

You may want to have her get the paper towel first, tuck it under her arm, and then wash her hands. That way she will not have to touch the paper towel dispenser with her clean hands.

I don't use the tongs. I use the silverware I have taken for my own use. I know that there is a possibility that the silverware is germy but then the dish may be also, and so may the glass, and all of the dinnerware in the dining room may not have been cleaned properly, and the waiter may not have washed his hands. And what about the bartender???? He touches the bar-ware and the fruit that goes in the foo foo drinks. It goes on and on. I see no problem with things the way they are if you use common sense and wash your hands. That snotty kid could have sat in the lounge chair you just scored and rubbed his fluid all over it;) .

You may want to have her get the paper towel first, tuck it under her arm, and then wash her hands. That way she will not have to touch the paper towel dispenser with her clean hands.

Oh yes we already do this. Or she pushes the towel down, washes her hands and rips it off. It is was funny when I was teaching her to do all this stuff. Now if I can get her to perfect the hover we will be good to go. We also throw away the first portion on the toilet paper. We have a whole process.:D

Archived