couple of questions

drj011105

Hey there...

I have a couple of questions for you experienced cruisers ...

1. Is there an alarm clock in the rooms on the Summit?

2. Have any of you used a prepaid Visa or Mastercard? I'm wondering about putting some money on one of those, sort of like a "travel card" instead of taking my regular credit card. But ... then I wonder if it can be recovered if it's lost or stolen.

Thanks in advance!

Hey there...

I have a couple of questions for you experienced cruisers ...

1. Is there an alarm clock in the rooms on the Summit?

2. Have any of you used a prepaid Visa or Mastercard? I'm wondering about putting some money on one of those, sort of like a "travel card" instead of taking my regular credit card. But ... then I wonder if it can be recovered if it's lost or stolen.

Thanks in advance!

1. All of the rooms have phones that you can program to give wakeup calls. Its pretty simple to do and if you have questions I'm sure your stateroom attendant will help.

2. Debit cards do not have the same protection as credit cards. If a debit card is stolen and charges are made you are out of luck. With a credit card you are only responsible for the first $50 (and most credit card companies wave that if you report your lost/stolen card timely).

I really don't see any advantage to debit cards in general. There is a fallacy that they make sure you don't overspend. Wrong, if you go over withdraw you are going to get overcharge fees, or if tied to a checking account, bounced check fees.

I used the prepaid credit card you are talking about (NOT a debit card) when I cruised the Mediterranean last fall. It worked great - got it through AAA. As long as you have a 4-digit PIN number with it, you can use it at any ATM in Europe that has supports VISA, which is just about all of them. They can be used just like credit cards at merchants - as long as you have enough money still left on the card. As I remember, if you loose it, there is a way to freeze it so no one else can use it. I can't remember all the details but they should be available on the AAA site (or wherever you end up getting it).

As for debit cards, the rules have changed significantly with them. They have many of the same protections that credit cards have. While on my cruise last fall my debit card number was hijacked and had $300 worth of purchases made before the credit union froze the card. I got all $300 credited back to my account by the credit union - no hassles, no problems. And overspending - whether by debit card, check or credit card (go over your limit) - has repercussions for everyone who does so. If you want to avoid problems with overspending - stick just to cash. When it's gone, you're done!

Thanks for the replies.

Good to know I can get a wake up call! I don't do early mornings very well! :)

Raudacruise, I'm not asking about a debit card. I think PollyPenguin has had some experience with the prepaid cards to which I'm referring. I'm thinking about a prepaid "travelers" card, if you will. I though of it because I once got a prepaid Visa as a graduation gift and wondered if I could use something of that sort for my trip. It's that I have so much money I've set aside to spend, and while I could keep track of that on my credit card, It seem easier to me to put that much on a prepaid card and then use my credit card only for back up. (I know it's the same money and all, but it seems to make more sense in my head. Sort of silly, I know ... but ... there it is.) I was just curious to know if anyone had any experience with one. Thank you PollyPenguin though - I'm at least going to look into it before I leave.

Thanks to all!

Archived