Carnival Inspiration: Suite or Penthouse

mr jailerman

I could use some good advice from you more experienced cruisers. I am booked this Feb,2008 (Post Refurb)on Inspiration. I am going with a friend or two,all single guys, as I am. All getting separate rooms.(We have high hopes)I booked a SUITE Cat 11 V-9 as I really want to experience a Balcony room. I am concerned that because I am a pretty big guy that the Balcony on the Cat 11 might be to tight for me. The QUESTION : Do I spend even MORE CASH(Already 200%) then I already have and get a Penthouse giving up that great view of the ocean from the top deck? Also while I have you here is V-9 a decent Cabin? It's as far back as I could go from the front observation deck without taking one of those FAMOUS obstructed view cabins. Thanks for your time and help. Maybe I'll see you in FEB..:D

The balconies on the Fantasy class are not to be compared to a regular balcony on other class ships.

If a balcony is important to you-- stay in the cat 11V8-

If room size is important then move to the cat12.

the 12 looks like it has some obstruction for your view--look out the window of this picture:

57295174wWzMkH_th.jpg

here are some of the 11's on the veranda deck.

64218508iAGqrx_th.jpg

2884951650100543577OnzZpB_th.jpg

2649636490089294901MFyZzi_th.jpg

I have cruised in a Category 11 suite on the Fantasy and a Category 12 Penthouse suite on the Fascination. Back in the early 1990's the category 12 was called a suite and the 11 mini-suites. The category 11 room is 220 square feet compared to 330 in the Penthouse suite. The balcony in category 11 is 30 square feet (10 feet by 3 feet). In category 12 the size is 70 square feet ( 14 feet by 5 Feet). As far as I can remember, none of the category 12 suites had any obstruted views. The large window looked out to the balcony but this is not considered an obstruction. ( The picture of the obstruction is actually the balcony and railing ) The balcony in category 12 holds two chairs, one lounge chair and a small table. In category 11 there is no room for a lounge chair. In addition the category 12 has a full bath, an L shaped counch, 2 chairs, and a table. Category 11 only has a shower and a smaller seating area.

Based on these statisics you can see why the category 12 is more expensive. Hope this helps. I found both suites comfortable and had great views from the balconies when I sailed on Fantasy in 1990 and the Fascination in 1994.

Thanks for the input RAILSAIL 89. I have only sailed once prior and that was also on the FASCINATION this past Feb. I had an oceanview on the last cruise and told myself the next one has to have a balcony. Not to many "JAILERMEN" are small people so I really have to give that 30sq ft Balcony some thought,as I would be putting a good amount of time out on it. As far as the size of the Cat 11 room, I think it would be just fine as I will have the room to myself(unless good things happen:) )If the Balcony was just alittle bigger I would not think twice about keeping the Cat 11 reguarding the room size. Why can't I be 5'4 130lbs...Thanks again..:D

Personally, I don't think the Cat. 11's on the Fantasy class ships are worth the extra money. If you absolutely have to have a balcony, is it possible for you to book a newer Carnival ship where the standard balcony cabins are about the same size as your Cat. 11, yet will cost you substantially less?

If I were going to put out the money for a suite, it would definitely be the Cat. 12 on the Fantasy class ships. Otherwise, I'd save myself the money and book a standard oceanview on this class of ship, or move over to one of the newer Carnival ships and book a balcony cabin.

We had a Cat. 12 on the Imagination and it was wonderful. I wouldn't waste my money on a Cat. 11.

As a follow up, I did a little research and the Inspiration does just 4 and 5 night cruises. For what you would pay for a 5 night cruise in a Cat. 11 on Inspiration, you could do a 7 night cruise on, for instance, the Carnival Triumph (leaves from Miami with port stops in Half Moon Cay, San Juan, St. Thomas, and Nassau) on Feb. 16 for just over $1,500 for a balcony guarantee cabin (that pricing is for a single supplement). I'm not sure exactly what you are paying for the single suppplement on Inspiration, but the Triumph is a great ship and that's a really nice itinerary. You'll wind up with a cabin just about the same size (just slightly smaller) as your Cat. 11 and the balcony will be larger (45 sq. ft.). You might want to think about that.

Thank you for your time in looking up the 7-Day trip. I am a single dad that's getting away for a long weekend of FUN alone.:) (there's a friend going in a diffrent cabin)A 7-day is not going to fit my parent schedule at home.(This long weekend away cost me a trip next summer to ORLANDO as it is.:) )I will probably take your advice about the up-grade to cat 12, Not because I need more space (I'll be in the suite alone unless good things happen.;))But the Balcony is twice the size plus 110 sq ft more cabin space(that I don't need)but I guess would be nice anyway. The only thing that makes me feel good about spending this much $ on A cat 12 is that the same dates and itinerary are open for "Navigator of the Seas" and a Jr Suite is 50sq ft smaller then my Cat 12 and $600.00 more.:D Thanks again for your time..

Good for you! I don't think you'll regret your decision. While you're on the ship, go check out a Cat. 11 cabin (usually as soon as you board the doors are open, as well as the last day of the cruise). You will see how much larger your cabin will be in the Cat. 12.

• 1 month later...

Archived