Getting to cruise from Seattle (to Vancouver)?

Hello everyone,

Looking for some advice here on what would be the best way to get from Seattle to Vancouver for our Glacier Bay cruise (Carnival Spirit) next September. Short of flying directly into Vancouver, I think we have decided to fly into Seattle to defray quite a bit of the expense. I have read there are 2 options to choose from in getting to the cruise terminal in Vancouver: 1) Quick Coach or 2)Amtrak train.

Can anyone tell me which is easier to get to...Quick Coach or Amtrak? Does anyone know the rates they charge each way? And if we did chose the train...are there taxi's there to take us on from the train station to the cruise terminal? How far in advance does Amtrak allow you to make reservations?

And also, for the return trip to Seattle after the cruise, are there taxi's at the cruise terminal to take you to Amtrak in Vancouver, and are there also taxi's at Amtrak in Seattle to take you to Seattle Airport for our flight home?

I know this sounds confusing, but we have a big group going on this cruise and I just want to make sure we have it right, step by step!

Thank you for any and all info!

Amtrak has only one actual train a day going from Seattle to Vancouver. It leaves at 7:40 am. The rest of their trips are by bus. It looks like there are 4 buses. Here's a link to the Amtrak site. Make sure you are using Vancouver B.C. as there is a Vancouver, WA that is located in southern Washington.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/HomePage

A little more information on your plan might help with suggestions. Are you planning on arriving the same day as your cruise? Or will you be staying in a hotel the night before either in Seattle or Vancouver? It takes 3 hours to get to Vancouver by driving. I think the train ride is closer to 4.

Here's a link to quick coach site. http://www.quickcoach.com/

With a big group you might want to get this sorted out soon if you are sailing in September.

Amtrak has only one actual train a day going from Seattle to Vancouver. It leaves at 7:40 am. The rest of their trips are by bus. It looks like there are 4 buses. Here's a link to the Amtrak site. Make sure you are using Vancouver B.C. as there is a Vancouver, WA that is located in southern Washington.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/HomePage

A little more information on your plan might help with suggestions. Are you planning on arriving the same day as your cruise? Or will you be staying in a hotel the night before either in Seattle or Vancouver? It takes 3 hours to get to Vancouver by driving. I think the train ride is closer to 4.

Here's a link to quick coach site. http://www.quickcoach.com/

With a big group you might want to get this sorted out soon if you are sailing in September.

we are flying in the day before, so we would be riding the train the morning of the cruise. I'll have to make sure everyone is on that 7:40 a.m. train for sure! Is there only one train going back to Seattle from Vancouver, or are they all by bus?

Thanks for your help!!

There's only one train back too. I believe it leaves at 6 pm. Earlier throughout the day they use buses.

I just put in some random dates in September and the cost is $32 for the train and $28 for the Amtrak bus. About the only Amtrak bus you could take would be the 10:45 which gets you into Vancouver at 2:15. The bus after that doesn't get there until 5 which I would think would be too late. So I would try to get the 7:40 train. Train also makes it easier to cross the border. Buses have to stop at the border crossing.

There aren't too many hotels near the Amtrak station in Seattle but downtown hotels are a short cabride to the station. Be forewarned that downtown hotels can get expensive. Airport hotels would be cheaper but if you have the time to see any of downtown on the day you arrive I would suggest staying downtown Seattle.

thank you for the info! sounds like amtrak is the way to go.

our first option though is to keep our eyes open this whole next year for a great airfare rate direct to vancouver and hopefully we can find a good hotel rate that everyone in my group can live with.

Archived