How Do You Get Back In The Boat??

Doug&Suzy-Q

I just have to ask.......If you are by chance totally uncoordinated and a tad on the heafty side....how do you get back in the boat when you snorkel:eek:

We plan on taking a ship snorkeling tour so does it depend on the specific tour operator OR are all boats basically the same?

I can just see the boat arriving back to port dragging the klutz that couldn't get back in;)

There is a ladder at the back of the boat - like climbing the ladder out of the deep end of the pool except its moving up and down to some extent. Unless it is VERY rough and you have VERY weak knees, you should be able to manage.

If it's zodiac, the crew will drag you up over the side into the boat. They are used to heavy people. Have no fear. If it's rudder, take your fins off before you step on, or sit down on the lower step and take fins off. Crew will be there to help you and take your fins from you.

I'm not sure about boats in other countries, but my hubby and I dive locally (FL) with several different dive operators and all of their boats are different. Most have ladders, but some just have a platform on the back that you belly flop onto and then put your knees underneath you and stand up or (just for snorkelers) you could spin around and then stand up. Don't be shy to ask how to get back on before you get in the water, if you're wondering, chances are half the people on the boat are also wondering! Another tip - DO NOT hold onto the ladder and try to remove your fins if the ladder is moving up and down due to waves. That's a real good way to either go under the boat real quick or knock your noggin on the ladder! There should be a rope or something off the back of the boat for you to hold onto, remove your fins and then pull yourself in. Have fun and be safe!!:cool:

I had the same question, not for me but for my (ample) sister in law who's traveling with us on our cruise. We are booked for a snorkel tour with Interlinesail, a private day sail charter in St Thomas. I spoke with the Captain on the phone, who assured me that if she could climb up a swim ladder out of a swimming pool, then she could climb the swim ladder attached to the swim platform on the rear of the sailboat. He also gave me a reference, a plus size passenger, who said basically the same thing. Since my sister in law does swim a lot, she was happy with that answer, and now plans to join us on our snorkel trip to St John. Don't miss snorkeling; I bet you will be just fine.

It really DOES depend on the boat. I've been on snorkel cruises where they pull up to the shore and everyone goes in from the beach. If it's a catamaran they usually have a series of steps that are lowered between the pontoons (to eliminate any wave action) and you take off your fins and just walk up the steps. In others, where it's a dive/snorkel boat, there's a platform with ladders into the water. If it's a small dive/snorkel boat you climb up a ladder over the rail. If it's a RIB (rubber boat), you flop over the side. No matter what the case, there's always a friendly crewperson on hand to help you out of the water. Just remember, in any case, if you're the next in line going up, always float to the side. Heck with getting under the platform, ever had someone slip and fall on top of you? Much worst than the boat and happens more often. :)

Randall

Archived