Oahu- Aloha stadium swap meet

judyf

I found the website for this swap meet. I see it's open Wed. Sat. and Sun. from 6-3. We will be in Oahu on a Sunday Pre cruise. So we can make it here if we wish.

Is it worth a visit? How much time would it take? I think I read the best prices are here, is that true?

I'm not a big shopper while on vacation but we do want to get a few things "Hawaii "while we are there. Any ideas what's best to buy here and any tips which way to go once in the swap meet for these things? Any tips much appreciated.

We should have a rental car, is there parking and what's the fee?

Thanks

• Administrators
I found the website for this swap meet. I see it's open Wed. Sat. and Sun. from 6-3. We will be in Oahu on a Sunday Pre cruise. So we can make it here if we wish.

Is it worth a visit? How much time would it take? I think I read the best prices are here, is that true?

I'm not a big shopper while on vacation but we do want to get a few things "Hawaii "while we are there. Any ideas what's best to buy here and any tips which way to go once in the swap meet for these things? Any tips much appreciated.

We should have a rental car, is there parking and what's the fee?

Thanks

We loved the Swap Meet! There are a few photos of it on the first page of the photo album linked in my signature. The admission cost is $1 per person, and there is lots of parking (it's held in the parking lot of Aloha Stadium and goes all the way around the stadium). We saw carved wood products, t-shirts, Aloha clothing (for men, women and children), hula outfits for little girls, tote bags, towels, luggage, jewelry, magnets, trivets, coasters, ceramic tiles, mouse pads, cups and glasses, shell "chandeliers," and other similar souvenir items, as well as a lot of booths which reminded me of local flea markets (athletic socks, etc). We thought the prices were very low, compared to the same or similar items we saw elsewhere during our trip. It's close to Pearl Harbor -- a good thing to combine with a visit there if you have time during your trip.

We arrived when it opened at 6 AM (I hate being hot and the blacktop parking lot gets hot once the sun is up -- the recommendations always include taking hats and bottled water) and we only spent about 90 minutes there. Still, that was plenty of time for us to get the small tchachke type souvenirs for the folks back home we were shopping for, plus a couple pieces of luggage (we'd already planned to buy these, I wanted some Hawaiian hibiscus print luggage)! Hope that helps!

The admission cost is $1 per person,

If you pick up This Week on Oahu or the Outrigger booklet at the airport or your hotel there is a coupon that gets you (at least one...I think it used to be 2 people) into the Swap Meet for free.

We go to church about 1/2 a mile down Salt Lake Blvd from the stadium and occasionally stop in to pick up a trinket for one of our visitors. I can walk around the whole swap meet taking time to look occasionally at one of the booths in about an hour. I agree with MichellP...It's hot later in the morning and early afternoon there so bring a bottle of water with you.

Tim

Great! Thanks for the tips. I will look for the coupon books too and an hour or so is about all the time we would want to spend there.

Michelle thanks for the tip that it's close to Peral Harbor that really helps in planning.

Should we go get in line at Peral Harbor first or do the swap meet first?

In answer to your question, I would definitely go to Pearl Harbor first as you may encounter a line and I'd hate for you to miss this memorable experience for a swap meet.

RE: swap meet...I love a good flea market...but not in tropical heat and not on vacation...Most/or all of the momento's you'll find at the swap meet will also be in one of the 100's of ABC stores all over the island..and in more scenic places. It IS a good swap meet...I'm not knocking it.

I just wouldn't choose it as one of the two things I'd do in Oahu!

My two cents...

murphysmum;)

In answer to your question, I would definitely go to Pearl Harbor first as you may encounter a line and I'd hate for you to miss this memorable experience for a swap meet.

RE: swap meet...I love a good flea market...but not in tropical heat and not on vacation...Most/or all of the momento's you'll find at the swap meet will also be in one of the 100's of ABC stores all over the island..and in more scenic places. It IS a good swap meet...I'm not knocking it.

I just wouldn't choose it as one of the two things I'd do in Oahu!

My two cents...

murphysmum;)

I so agree :D but I have read that this is the best price and selection for things. :confused: We are in Oahu 2 full days. So we might take 45 minutes to quick look and grab some things if we "feel" like it! ;) LOL we are leaving everything open and flexible to a point so we can do what we feel like doing and not want we have on a list.

Thanks for the tip on the ABC stores we might do that instead.

Our friend lives on Oahu and we'll be visiting her for 6 days before we cruise and one of the places we're looking forward to going to is the Swap Meet. She raves about it and has brought home when she visits a lot of great things at really low prices.

• Administrators
Great! Thanks for the tips. I will look for the coupon books too and an hour or so is about all the time we would want to spend there.

Michelle thanks for the tip that it's close to Peral Harbor that really helps in planning.

Should we go get in line at Peral Harbor first or do the swap meet first?

Sorry for a late reply, I've been afk a few days out of town. I agree with Murphysmum -- Pearl Harbor first, then swap meet. Hope you enjoy both! :)

PS I personally didn't feel the ABC stores had the same variety of merchandise that the Swap Meet offers -- but if you just want mainstream stuff (dashboard bobble hula girls, leis, etc) the ABC stores will do just fine!

We are on the POA 11 day cruise which actually stays overnight on a Saturday night without leaving the Hon. pier. We'd have time on Sunday the 30th of Sept. to do the swap meet, but are not renting a car. How far is it from the Pier?

We are on the POA 11 day cruise which actually stays overnight on a Saturday night without leaving the Hon. pier. We'd have time on Sunday the 30th of Sept. to do the swap meet, but are not renting a car. How far is it from the Pier?

Disney...I tried to reply last night, but had an internet problem. I did a quick internet map search and it's only about 8-10 miles to the Swap Meet and should only take about 15-20 minutes on a Sunday morning/early afternoon. You can probably take The Bus, but I'm not sure which routes. I've called them before to get specific bus numbers to take to get from place to place. There are also van shuttles that go out there. I see them all the time on the freeway...but I can't remember the name. I'll try to pay attention when I'm out driving later today and get a name/number of a shuttle for you.

Tim

Disney...I tried to reply last night, but had an internet problem. I did a quick internet map search and it's only about 8-10 miles to the Swap Meet and should only take about 15-20 minutes on a Sunday morning/early afternoon. You can probably take The Bus, but I'm not sure which routes. I've called them before to get specific bus numbers to take to get from place to place. There are also van shuttles that go out there. I see them all the time on the freeway...but I can't remember the name. I'll try to pay attention when I'm out driving later today and get a name/number of a shuttle for you.

Tim

That would be great. I recognize your sign on as HawaiiDeb. I believe you are on our roll call for Sept. 29 POA cruise.

I have a couple of other questions for you, but I won't bombard you just yet.

I see them all the time on the freeway...but I can't remember the name. I'll try to pay attention when I'm out driving later today and get a name/number of a shuttle for you.

So, I saw one of the shuttles today. I've never used this company so I can't "recommend" them, but you might look into it or search for other reviews if you are are looking to save some money. Their web site http://www.viptrans.com/ says it's $6.00 one way or $11 round trip to the Swap Meet from Waikiki.

We took The Bus both ways - they have a great internet site that should give you the info you need. I do like garage sales and swap meets, but most of merchandise was a repeat of the previous merchandise. Okay, I admit, there was only one fabric outlet there, but lots of suitcases, t-shirts and other stuff. I think a lot would depend on how often you have been to Hawaii and if you had bought many of those things before. Nancy

So, I saw one of the shuttles today. I've never used this company so I can't "recommend" them, but you might look into it or search for other reviews if you are are looking to save some money. Their web site http://www.viptrans.com/ says it's $6.00 one way or $11 round trip to the Swap Meet from Waikiki.

Thanks for the site, :) I have put it in my "favorites" and scrutinize for places we'd like to see.

Archived