Grand Cayman tour/sightseeing q's

MzItaly79

My friend and I will be visiting GC in Oct. Not interested in the rays or scuba. I've read so many threads but still can't decide what to do. Also having a hard time finding "tour" info that doesn't include rays or snorkeling.

Interested in the Turtle Farm (not sure if I want to spend that much for it though), quick stop in Hell (maybe) and Rum Cake factory. Anything else I should consider? Also would like to visit a beach. What's the best/closest beach to the other activities i listed?

Any tours that don't involve rays or scuba? Any tour guide websites I can check out. Don't find many when i do a search.

Thanks for any help! :D

Thanks for the advice, we're not into "water" things since she can't swim. Might walk in the water at the beach but that's about it. I'm looking for non-water things. :confused:

If you want to "do" something, while you "see" something on GC, try hiking the Mastic Trail. <LINK>

If you want to just "see" something, there are a few bus tour companies that will shuttle you around the island, but it sounds like you've already looked into that option and were looking for something else.

When you get off the ship there will be people there to take you on a tour of the island - with Turtle Farm, Hell, and more. They will drop you off at the beach at the end, but then you get another taxi back. You CANNOT get a cab to take you on a customized tour. I imagine you can preschedule something like that, but I don't know any companies.

Last trip to Cayman we wanted to go to the Turtle Farm and the Beach - not to Hell or anywhere else (I've done that and my 7 year old just wanted to see the Turtles and the Beach). It didn't seem like we were asking for much. We would have taken a cab to the Turtle Farm and then another to the beach but NO ONE would take us - it had to be the whole tour or nothing. So if you don't want the normal tour you should try to make arrangements ahead of time. I realize that is what you are asking so I'm probably no help here.

If you want to "do" something, while you "see" something on GC, try hiking the Mastic Trail. <LINK>

thanks! i didn't know anything about that, definately a possiblity.

NO ONE would take us - it had to be the whole tour or nothing. So if you don't want the normal tour you should try to make arrangements ahead of time. I realize that is what you are asking so I'm probably no help here.

thanks, was wondering if it had to be all or nothing - one of the reasons I was hoping to make arrangements ahead of time.

:)

Not sure what cruise line you are going on, but RCI has a Jeep tour of the island with stops at Hell, Turtle Farm, Rum cake factory, and ends with a few hours on 7 mile beach. This is what my DH and I will probably be doing when we visit there in February.

any other suggestions? No tour company/operator websites? Can anyone tell me what the tour operators waiting at the dock offer and price? Thanks in advance

We are booked for Stingray City and City Tour through Captain Marvins. Price for both was $60. I have heard good things about Captain Marvins and you can reserve on-line.

www.captainmarvins.com

My friend and I will be visiting GC in Oct. Not interested in the rays or scuba. I've read so many threads but still can't decide what to do. Also having a hard time finding "tour" info that doesn't include rays or snorkeling.

Interested in the Turtle Farm (not sure if I want to spend that much for it though), quick stop in Hell (maybe) and Rum Cake factory. Anything else I should consider? Also would like to visit a beach. What's the best/closest beach to the other activities i listed?

Any tours that don't involve rays or scuba? Any tour guide websites I can check out. Don't find many when i do a search.

Thanks for any help! :D

Try these:

http://www.captainmarvins.com/hellturtle.htm

http://www.shoretrips.com/common/search4.asp?rcode=CAR&lcode=GCM&tcode=005292

I will be going to GC this August and was wondering about the same thing. The first link has a tour that is cheaper, but the second link goes to more places like you indicated above. Personally, I am considering doing one of these with a submarine/semi-submarine excursion. Hope this helps! :D

snorkel2much,

Did you do the Mastic Trail? Difficult, need guide?

Thanks for info.

From Cayman Islands National Trust website: <LINK>

"Please note that the trail is not suitable for children under six years old, the elderly and infirm, or for persons with physical handicaps or conditions that may require emergency medical assistance. The Trust can accept no liability for injuries sustained on the trail.

Remember it is a criminal offence to take any plant or animal from Trust property. The trail is for pedestrian use only: it is much too rough for bicycles or horses."

Haven't been there yet. I found it while compiling my initial list of things to do in GC. It looks to be very similar to the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge & Canaveral National Seashore near our home.

It's our fallback excursion if we're sunburned prior to GC.(unlikely)

Archived