open dining

skymama

What other cruise lines besides NCL has open time dining restuarants. I really like the option of eating at different times other than an assigned one.

I know Princess has the option to sign up for either traditional or what they call "anytime" dining. I tried this on my one Princess cruise and it made me an "anytime" fan for life. LOL.

I have also read that both RCI and HAL are offering limited anytime dining on certain ships in the coming months as an experiment of sorts. I suppose the outcome of the experiment will determine whether they decide to expand the option, or keep it at all.

Don't be fooled into thinking that the "anytime dining" on the other ships will be like it is on NCL. When we tried Princess and their "Personal Choice" dining, yes, we were able to choose our dining time but it was still at a table for 8 and we had no choice with that! On NCL, if you wish to have a table for 2, you could have a table for 2. I have no idea what it will be like on HAL or RCI, but since their ships were not built with this option in mind, I would imagine that it would be about the same as Princess.

In my opinion, Anytime Dining does not equal Freestyle!

Oceania has indeed open dining in the main restaurant as well as in both premium restaurants. The premium restaurants do not have a cover charge. However, availability is limited to a certain number of nights, depending on the length of the cruise and your cabin category. My DW and I always request (and receive) a table for 2. Not only that; Oceania ships are almost complete non-smoking! While the food is included, the cruise itself may be pricey.

When the Oceania ships were sailing under the Renaissance flag, they were completely smoke-free (and maybe that's one reason Ren went out of business). Yes, when I said "pricey" I was referring to the cruise fare, not the cost of the dining rooms.

We did anytime dining on the Sun Princess and we were able to request a table for 2 or for 4 as we desired. I really liked it as opposed to traditional dining. We are booked for our first NCL sailing and are looking forward to the freestyle dining. I'm thinking it's just for us after our anytime experience with Princess.

Bon Appetit!

We did anytime dining on the Sun Princess and we were able to request a table for 2 or for 4 as we desired. I really liked it as opposed to traditional dining. We are booked for our first NCL sailing and are looking forward to the freestyle dining. I'm thinking it's just for us after our anytime experience with Princess.

Bon Appetit!

On the Sea Princess we were asked if we wanted to share a table, or sit by ourselves. For the 2 nights we were onboard we opted to share and had 8 one night and 6 another.

Windstar is another line that has open dining, long before NCL had it.

Dave

Don't be fooled into thinking that the "anytime dining" on the other ships will be like it is on NCL. When we tried Princess and their "Personal Choice" dining, yes, we were able to choose our dining time but it was still at a table for 8 and we had no choice with that! On NCL, if you wish to have a table for 2, you could have a table for 2. I have no idea what it will be like on HAL or RCI, but since their ships were not built with this option in mind, I would imagine that it would be about the same as Princess.

In my opinion, Anytime Dining does not equal Freestyle!

We have sailed Princess seven times and have always had a private table for 2, they do ask you if you would like to share a table, we say no!, we enjoy Princess Cruises Anytime Dining as well as NCL's Freestyle.:)

Archived