Your Best Triva Answer

magictam

The organizer of our Meet and Greet is challenging us to a trivia contest. I know next to nothing (leaning hard on nothing) about Holland America Lines.

For all you experienced HAL cruisers, could you please give us your best trivia regarding HAL?

Thanks

The last cruise we were on the msNOORDAM in March of this year two questions came up which we never heard before and were curious to find out the answers (actually one of our teammates new the ZIP answer).

What does GOLF stand for?

GENTLEMEN ONLY LADIES FORBIDDEN

What does the ZIP in Zip Code stand for:

ZONE IMPROVEMENT PLAN

The organizer of our Meet and Greet is challenging us to a trivia contest. I know next to nothing (leaning hard on nothing) about Holland America Lines.

For all you experienced HAL cruisers, could you please give us your best trivia regarding HAL?

Thanks

Ha ha...nice try Tammie! :D My lips are sealed though. ;)

Q: Name the last HAL ship built with auxiliary sails to be used in case of engine failure:

A: Nieuw Amsterdam(I) of 1905

Q: Name the first Dutch vessel to have a Marconi wireless radio-telegraph installed.

A: Noordam(I) in 1904.

Q: Name the two HAL passenger ships that were built, but never carried a single paying passenger.

A: 1914 Statendam(II) and 1938 Zuiderdam(1)

Q: Name the only 3-Funnel ship in the HAL fleet, which was also destroyed during the invasion of Holland during WWII.

A: Statendam(III) of 1924

Q: Name the last HAL ship built with auxiliary sails to be used in case of engine failure:

A: Nieuw Amsterdam(I) of 1905

Q: Name the first Dutch vessel to have a Marconi wireless radio-telegraph installed.

A: Noordam(I) in 1904.

Q: Name the two HAL passenger ships that were built, but never carried a single paying passenger.

A: 1914 Statendam(II) and 1938 Zuiderdam(1)

Q: Name the only 3-Funnel ship in the HAL fleet, which was also destroyed during the invasion of Holland during WWII.

A: Statendam(III) of 1924

:eek: Wow Brian, these are harder questions than the ones being used at the M&G.

She asked for my best questions

;)

Hi Brain

I've been reading (on HAL's site) but haven't found it yet. You would probably know. What know is the Noordam up to? I think the last I've seen is Noordam III but I think the current ms Noordam is higher than this.

Thanks for your help. It may not be on the trivia question, but might on another trivia. Could be the tie breaker I might need.

Ha ha...nice try Tammie! :D My lips are sealed though. ;)

I was gonna read and read and read the HAL site, but then I remembered a much better place for information ;) . HERE!

Alision, care to post your favorite trivia answer?:D

I have a drawer full of HAL memorabilia, all won in various trivia games on several different cruises. If I can remember so much trivia, why do you suppose that I never know where my keys are, or where I parked my car at a shopping center?

In any case, a few of my favorites:

The first ship through the Panama Canal The Ancon

The ship that delivered the Statue of Liberty The Isere

The names of the six wives of Henry VIII Catherine of Aragon, Ann Boleyn, Lady Jane Seymour, Anne of Cleves, Catherine Howard and Catherine Parr. Catherine Parr was the only one who survived him.

Have fun with trivia on your cruise

I have a drawer full of HAL memorabilia, all won in various trivia games on several different cruises. If I can remember so much trivia, why do you suppose that I never know where my keys are, or where I parked my car at a shopping center?

In any case, a few of my favorites:

The first ship through the Panama Canal The Ancon

The ship that delivered the Statue of Liberty The Isere

The names of the six wives of Henry VIII Catherine of Aragon, Ann Boleyn, Lady Jane Seymour, Anne of Cleves, Catherine Howard and Catherine Parr. Catherine Parr was the only one who survived him.

Have fun with trivia on your cruise

*LOL*

I am the same way

I am a movie and Tv trivia nut, I can remember stuff from films made 50 years before I was born. I can remember names and people and places from when I was a kid (I am 43) like it was yesterday. But if I don't write it down, I can't remember milk, eggs and bread at the grocery store. :) :) *LOL*

Hi Brain

I've been reading (on HAL's site) but haven't found it yet. You would probably know. What know is the Noordam up to? I think the last I've seen is Noordam III but I think the current ms Noordam is higher than this.

Thanks for your help. It may not be on the trivia question, but might on another trivia. Could be the tie breaker I might need.

The current Noordam is the Fourth.

The first one was built at the turn of the century, the second was a combi pax/cargo ship from the 50's, and the 3rd was built in France in the 80's.

Hi Brain

Here's a hint....that's NOT one of the questions, Tammie. :)

Archived