A question for "Pearl" veterans

nyllas

We are going to Alaska on the Pearl in a few weeks and are interested in attending the "Mystery Dinner" referred to in the CC official review of the ship. Based on this review, it is a popular event and hard to get a reservation for it. Any tips from those of you who have recently sailed on the Pearl? We are first time cruisers so are just learning the ropes.

Your help will be appreciated. Thanks.

We are going to Alaska on the Pearl in a few weeks and are interested in attending the "Mystery Dinner" referred to in the CC official review of the ship. Based on this review, it is a popular event and hard to get a reservation for it. Any tips from those of you who have recently sailed on the Pearl? We are first time cruisers so are just learning the ropes.

Your help will be appreciated. Thanks.

We weren't interested in the Murder Mystery Dinner, but did notice in the Freestyle Daily on Sunday (day of embarkation) that the sign-up was from 7:30 PM until 8:00 PM that first evening in Bliss Lounge.

There was nothing on the front page of the Daily to indicate that, but on the 3rd page under "Games and Activities" it was listed.

So it would probably be a good idea to get to Bliss Lounge sometime around 7 PM to get in line to sign up.

Thank you both for your responses. Can you also address wardrobe needs aboard ship. In general, did people wear coats/ties/suits for dinner each evening or given the casual aspect of the Alaskan destination just remain very casual? Thanks.

Thank you both for your responses. Can you also address wardrobe needs aboard ship. In general, did people wear coats/ties/suits for dinner each evening or given the casual aspect of the Alaskan destination just remain very casual? Thanks.

Coats/ties/suits for men and nice dresses for women were mainly seen on Monday night for the Optional Formal Night (now called "dress up or not"). But even then maybe only about half dressed up. Men wore mainly khakis or Docker-type pants with collared shirts and women were either in khakis or other types of pants or slacks with tops.

You do see a lot of jeans but they're not allowed in the Specialty Restaurants or Summer Palace after 5 PM.

We found the inside of the ship to be quite warm but maybe they've changed that since our cruise on June 17th.

You do see a lot of jeans but they're not allowed in the Specialty Restaurants or Summer Palace after 5 PM.

The dress rules for dinner has changed recently.

Per NCL's FAQ:

How should I dress for dinner?

Freestyle Cruising gives you the freedom to dress as you please – morning, noon and night.

Casual attire is perfect for all restaurants during the day -- Khakis, skirts, jeans, casual tops, shorts or whatever. Swimwear with a cover-up is fine at the buffet and outdoor restaurant.

For dinner, collared shirts and pants or nice jeans work for guys. Slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops are perfect for women. But if you want to dress up and add a little glamour when you dine out, that’s OK too – we’ve reserved one restaurant each night just for that.

For kids 12 and under, nice shorts are appropriate in all restaurants at all times.

Jeans are allowed in every restaurant but one now.

Are the pools salt or fresh water? I always thought they were fresh water on Pearl but I just read a review that said it was salt water. Can anybody clear this up for me?

Most NCL ships use salt water in the pools. I have also read reviews stating the main pool aboard the Pearl has fresh water, but I can't personally state that.

We weren't interested in the Murder Mystery Dinner, but did notice in the Freestyle Daily on Sunday (day of embarkation) that the sign-up was from 7:30 PM until 8:00 PM that first evening in Bliss Lounge.

There was nothing on the front page of the Daily to indicate that, but on the 3rd page under "Games and Activities" it was listed.

So it would probably be a good idea to get to Bliss Lounge sometime around 7 PM to get in line to sign up.

Just to second what brunolvr says. We got there a few minutes after 8 and they found the list to add us (bringing the total up to 103).

Actual meeting for the dinner was at 5:00 on Wednesday (only one day for us) which was Skagway day (departing at 7:30), so we had to give up some port time. We met in Bliss Lounge, divided into groups (not all 103 people were there), were given our scripts, and went down to Summer Palace for dinner. Different groups took a different amount of time, but it was fun. We ended up seeing some of our tablemates later on around the ship and on shore.

Pete

Is there a charge to participate in the Mystery Dinner?

Not at all.

And one thing that I discovered during dinner in the Summer Palace was that if you had a special desire that wasn't on the menu, it might be possible. Some of our folks ordered salmon (in addition to a regular menu entree) and it was provided. I would have done that (I do love salmon), but my entree was enough for me.

Pete

Archived