lamanai

saraisarai

We were there in March and unless you climbed the actual pyramid, there wasn't really any "climbing". There was a fair amount of walking, although most of it was on fairly good paths and not very steep, jbut there was a bit of elevation here and there. If your friend's knees can take a mile or so hike as described, then he/she should be fine.

We were there in March and unless you climbed the actual pyramid, there wasn't really any "climbing". There was a fair amount of walking, although most of it was on fairly good paths and not very steep, jbut there was a bit of elevation here and there. If your friend's knees can take a mile or so hike as described, then he/she should be fine.

We did Lamanai two years ago, I have back and calf muscle problems! It was a bit of a struggle for me, but you can go at your own pace and take it easy!

Well worth seeing and the boat trip is awesome! I would definitely do it again!

• 1 month later...
Did you use an independent tour company for Lamanai? I really want to do it, but the cruise ship has an age requirement of 6 & my son is 5. It seems as though the independents are a little more lenient with the ages.

We went to Lamanai last February and it was the best experience of the entire cruise. carnival did not offer it as an excursion so we took our chances getting back tot ship on time - we made it!! we went with Belize Cruise Excursions and they did a great job. We were the only ones at Lamanai since we had to bet an early start. Our two guides - Richard (I think) picked us up at the pier - we got the second tender - and drove us to Orange Walk while giving us a tour and an insiders look of the country.

At Orange Walk you get on a small, but fast, boat. The person who "captained" the boat was also out tour guide - Junior was his name. He brought us through the maze of the New River and took us around the ruins.

He got us back in time. I just wished that the ship had stayed longer so we had more time there.

Climbing one of the temples is possible - it looks daunting, but it is well worth it. I am so please I did it. I attached two images. Enjoy!

IMG_4232a.jpg.90e15764bfad66ce982f4091acc95e54.jpg

IMG_4231a.jpg.2edbaa8ad7351218eee5e5b03db5b974.jpg

GREAT pics. Thanks for sharing. I just got a quote from the same tour guides you used. The only thing I worry about is getting back to the ship on time. But from what I'm reading on the boards, a lot of people had close calls, but no one missed the ship. Guess that just adds to the adventure!!!

GREAT pics. Thanks for sharing. I just got a quote from the same tour guides you used. The only thing I worry about is getting back to the ship on time. But from what I'm reading on the boards, a lot of people had close calls, but no one missed the ship. Guess that just adds to the adventure!!!

Thanks! I loved this experience.

It is a tight schedule and we felt a bit rushed. But that was our choice to do this excursion. We did take all of our documents and credit cards with us - just in case. Belize was out last port so we were OK with the risk.

As long as the tour guides know when you have to be back they will do everything in their power to do so. We even had a few minutes to shop outside the tendering area.

If you do it - make sure to get on the first or second tender. Yes, it can be done even if you do not have a ship sponsored excursion.

Another tip - once we got to the top of the ruin we forgot to take photos of each other up there. I wish we had those photos. I guess we will just have to go back!

• 1 month later...
I am pretty excited by the prospect of the Lamanai tour through Belize Cruise Excursions. We are supposedly arriving at 7am and leaving at 5pm... do you think it will be possible? Lamanai is not offered through Holland America.

We are on the Legend next month and booked through ecotoursbelize. They have had good reviews and responding to email very quickly. Our ship is there even less time (8 to 5 EST) than yours. They guaranteed arriving in time to catch the tender. Even said we would have time to shop. The tour is only 6 hours compared to 7.5 hours - presuming a little less stopping on the river and a little less time at the site. Still, we can't think of a better way to spend Thanksgiving.

I am pretty excited by the prospect of the Lamanai tour through Belize Cruise Excursions. We are supposedly arriving at 7am and leaving at 5pm... do you think it will be possible? Lamanai is not offered through Holland America.

We really loved this excursion. We were in port from 7am - 4pm and we made it. So, yes, I think you could do it. Richard, was VERY good about getting us to Orange Walk and back very quickly - a bit of an adventure!

Here are a few things we learned:

1. Get off on one of the first tenders. I do not know HAL's tendering procedures, but we had to be a bit aggressive (politely, of course) so we could get off with the cruise line sponsored excursions. We spoke to the purser and they asked to see a printed reservation with the start time and said that we would have present it during tendering procedures.

2. When we went (Feb) the ship time was different from Belize time. Double check - I think each cruise line is different. We had a 7am Belize time start, which means that it was 8am on the ship.

3. Decide what you want to do when you get to Lamanai. Walking the grounds, visiting the little gift shops (some interesting things), climbing the pyramid (will take some time, but I think it is really worth it - what an experience)

We did a bit of each, but would like more time to explore the grounds.

I may have given you a long answer to a very short question, but I figured I would pass along what we learned.

Enjoy!

I am booked on the Carnival Legend departing 11/4 from Tampa. (Last minute cruise.) I contacted the agency that booked my cruise and asked what he thought about using an outside tour company because I found the Lamani tour the most appealing of anything offered in Belize and Carnival doesn't offer it. Here's his reply:

"As for tours - we just about always book private tours, after researching or

getting recommendations through cruisecritic.com. The vast majority of the

tour operators are reliable and know how critical it is to get you back to

the ship on time. Just keep in mind that if for some reason they don't get

you back to the ship on time, you're on your own as far as getting

transportation to the next port."

After reading the responses on this thread, I feel confident that I will book this tour with belizecruiseexcursions.com. Thank you for all your info :)

I am booked on the Carnival Legend departing 11/4 from Tampa. (Last minute cruise.) I contacted the agency that booked my cruise and asked what he thought about using an outside tour company because I found the Lamani tour the most appealing of anything offered in Belize and Carnival doesn't offer it. Here's his reply:

"As for tours - we just about always book private tours, after researching or

getting recommendations through cruisecritic.com. The vast majority of the

tour operators are reliable and know how critical it is to get you back to

the ship on time. Just keep in mind that if for some reason they don't get

you back to the ship on time, you're on your own as far as getting

transportation to the next port."

After reading the responses on this thread, I feel confident that I will book this tour with belizecruiseexcursions.com. Thank you for all your info :)

Not sure about your tour group but when asked via email, we were told as follows...."If for whatever reason something happens that will prevent you from getting back on the ship we will definately do our very best to get you to the next port and this will be our responsibility including any cost incurred."

We got the same guarantee from our independent tour in Grand Cayman.

We plan to bring our passports in both cases, just in case. We certainly feel safe that they have a heavy financial interest in getting us back on time.

The tricky part is getting off on that first or second tender. And when they say time to go, don't dawdle.

Archived