Box Lunches for Road to Hana

CabinForFour

Any recommendations for picking up yummy box lunches (deli-type sandwiches) before setting out for Hana. I've read that some places will even pack a cooler for you. Any personal favorite meals (including sides)? How long will a box lunch safely last in a cooler? We're planning to leave early in the AM and halfway on the Road to Hana before returning to Haleakala for a picnic dinner and sunset viewing. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks in advance!

We've used Picnics for our box lunches both times we've done the Road to Hana. The restaurant is now called Cafe Mambo, but they still have the Picnics lunch counter. Had a yummy curry shrimp sandwich in my lunch the last time.

Any recommendations for picking up yummy box lunches (deli-type sandwiches) before setting out for Hana. I've read that some places will even pack a cooler for you. Any personal favorite meals (including sides)? How long will a box lunch safely last in a cooler? We're planning to leave early in the AM and halfway on the Road to Hana before returning to Haleakala for a picnic dinner and sunset viewing. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks in advance!

Thought I should try to answer a few more of your questions. We don't have any particular favorite items, just whatever looks and sounds good that day. I don't know about places that pack a cooler for you. We always bring our own collapsible one, load it with containers of ice, and head out. A box lunch, depending on how much ice you have, how well insulated the cooler is, and what the food items are will last anywhere from a few hours to maybe 6 hours (but that's under excellent storage conditions). I would not, absolutely not, buy fresh perishable items first thing in the morning to have for a picnic dinner that night. Obviously, things like fruit and vegetables will keep safely longer than potato salad or meat and cheese sandwiches. Keep in mind what kind of items keep safely at a regular picnic and gauge from there. You might want to stop in Paia or Haiku on your way from the road to Hana over to the road to Haleakala for fresh picnic supplies for dinner.

beachchick

We just returned. We ordered room service the night before. Got great club sandwiches and chips. We stuck it in the mini fridge and put it in the cooler before leaving. it worked out great! Just make sure you take some ziplock bags with you to put it in.

Road to Hana was AWESOME! :p

We just returned. We ordered room service the night before. Got great club sandwiches and chips. We stuck it in the mini fridge and put it in the cooler before leaving. it worked out great! Just make sure you take some ziplock bags with you to put it in.

Any tips on what not to miss along the RTH? Besides the 7 pools is there a place to swim? Maybe by a waterfall too.

I thought of trying this. We tried it once before and had soggy sandwiches the next morning. However, we were storing them on ice rather than in a frig (no frig in room). But we may try this again...worst case scenario, we just toss them out if they end up soggy and buy lunch on the way.

To clarify, we will be needing lunch in the AM for the Road to Hana and then picking up another meal for dinner in Haleakala. I didn't make that clear in my original post. :) Thanks so much to everyone for your super-helpful suggestions and links. Please, keep them coming!

Clarifying: This is only allowed for the NCLA Pride of X ship passengers. And that will only be for the ships which do not leave Hawaiian waters. Once the PoAl starts doing alternating trips to Fanning Island, those pax will not be allowed to bring fresh food off the ship. If you're on any other ship but the Pride of Xs, please do not try to smuggle off fresh food. The Hawaiian agricultural laws are in place for very good reasons. Mahalo.

beachchick

Archived