Skagway-Eagle Preserve Float or River Adventure?

WillCruiseForMoney

Trying to choose our late August Skagway excursion for ourselves and two teenage sons, age 13 and 16, and are comparing the "Eagle Preserve Wildlife River Adventure" and the "Eagle Preserve Float & Fjord Exploration". Any advice about how they are different? All we can tell from the literature is one is a raft and one is a jetboat. Thanks for your help!

7 or 8 years ago I did the float trip. It was fun floating down the river, but we only saw a couple of bald eagles. It's winter when they really gather, it's the only river that doesn't freeze up and there's a late salmon run that attracts them. Be aware that this trip requires a *LOT* of transit time. You take a ferry to Haines, then a bus ride to the river. Not much time on the river itself, IIRC ~30-45 minutes. We did spot a moose from the bus.

Told myself I'd never do it again, but this years going to be my 3rd trip to Skagway, and we are in port for a long time. So we are thinking about the jet boat trip. Figure it would cover more ground and hopefully see more wildlife. But if you are taking this trip to see bald eagles, you will probably see more in or around port. Just look for a white spot in the treetops. There were a few on the hillside next to the dock in Juneau. Saw one on top of a streetlight. Be sure to bring some binoculars.

I did the float and absolutely loved it. I didn't see much wildlife, either, but the scenery was unbelievable and the serenity of floating down this river was unmatched by anything else on my cruise. And we were on the river for FAR more than 30-45 minutes. It was at least 2 hours on the river...

Trying to choose our late August Skagway excursion for ourselves and two teenage sons, age 13 and 16, and are comparing the "Eagle Preserve Wildlife River Adventure" and the "Eagle Preserve Float & Fjord Exploration". Any advice about how they are different? All we can tell from the literature is one is a raft and one is a jetboat. Thanks for your help!

We did the Chilkoot River float trip in 2003, via HAL, late August and did see some eagles, but it is a pretty laid back trip. Took a shuttle type boat to Haines, a school bus to the river, and a raft down the river, then a salmon dinner on the way home. I think this may be a bit boring for teens, since they seem to like to move around a bit more. Some of the folks we met on our HAL Alaskan cruise two weeks ago took a ship sponsored excursion in Skagway to a locale she thought was not too far from Dyea and they went to a dogsled camp full of dogs in training for the Iditorod (sp) and lots of Husky pups. They rode the sleds and she said it was a great adventure for everyone. She highly rec. it. Also, if you want to see lots of bald eagles, our independent shore excursion shuttle driver (Harv and Marve) drove us by the Juneau dump and pointed many, many eagles out to us. :D :D It is right along the main highway on the way to Auke Bay.gb

I did the float and absolutely loved it. I didn't see much wildlife, either, but the scenery was unbelievable and the serenity of floating down this river was unmatched by anything else on my cruise. And we were on the river for FAR more than 30-45 minutes. It was at least 2 hours on the river...

Cool, wish mine was 2 hours. That would have made the transit time worth it. The tour I took was with Princess, and it was a few years ago......

Archived