Snuba or a Discover Scuba excursion?

muffinpup

We are going on a southern caribbean cruise and are trying to decide between a snuba or a discover scuba excursion. What would be the best experience? What island would you recommend - Barbados, St. Thomas or St. Maarten?

Thanks!!

We are going on a southern caribbean cruise and are trying to decide between a snuba or a discover scuba excursion. What would be the best experience? What island would you recommend - Barbados, St. Thomas or St. Maarten?

Thanks!!

In a scuba board you ask which is better, snuba or scuba, of course scuba is better. :) Now seriously, first off is how much time you have. In order to do a discover scuba you have to do some "pool work" (usually an hour or two) to understand all the operations of the scuba equipment and to do basic skills. In snuba you're basiclly doing snorkeling on a long hose under the water so it's 15 minutes of instruction and jump in.

You have more freedom with a discover scuba since you are not inhibited, and you can go deeper, thus closer to the life on the reef. But note, a discover scuba doesn't give you any points towards getting a scuba certification but if you're inclined, or want to consider scuba in the future, you might want to "try before buy" with the discover scuba. If you want to just get under the water a bit and "window shop" the reef, then you'll enjoy snuba.

Hope this helped,

Randall

Absolutely do the discover scuba. My son has been scuba certified for a few years. On our Valor cruise, he wanted to dive with me so we had to do discover scuba since I wasnt certifed.....well.....needless to say I was hooked. Took my certfication classes and test here at the local dive shop and did my certification dives on our Destiny cruise last year.

I agree that St Thomas is the place to do your discover scuba. I did one of my certification dives at Coki Beach Dive Club, (bruce-r gave the web site in his post) they were fantastic!

Thanks!!

Having done both, I would HIGHLY recommend the discover scuba excursion. I enjoy SNUBA, but I enjoy diving more (it let's me go deeper). :)

• 4 months later...

Archived