Venice Port Transport into the City

Dear CC experts,

We'll be having an overnight stay in Venice on Carnival Freedom and would like info on getting from the ship to the city. No luggage is involved, but (silly me) I can't seem to find straightforward information on how one gets from the ship to the city center. We have a young child, so we are looking for ease AND economy. Are there shuttles from the ship? Is the port far removed from a public-transport hub?

Please advise. Any information, especially detailed suggestions, will be greatly appreciated!

Elena

Where do you mean by the city centre - St Marks Square?? If so then you have to get yourself to Piazzale Roma which is where land ends and the canals begin - from there it is easy to get on the Vaporetto down the Grand Canal which takes you to St Marks Square.

Venice is a very little city and it is easy to walk around - the main tourist sights are signposted [Rialto Bridge, Accademia Bridge, St Marks, Piazzale Roma and the train Station - Ferrovia]

A 24hr vaporetto travel card costs €15 so you can jump on/off the boats when you want. The #1 takes the slowest route down the Grand Canal.

Try this site:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-vaporetto-fares.htm

and also try doing a search on these boards for a ton of information.

Albert,

Thanks for your reply. I was actually talking about getting to P. Roma. I know about that and the public transportation that's available from that point on. When I searched for tips on the boards, they all seemed to deal with getting yourself and your luggage somewhere (e.g., the airport or the train station), not just getting off the ship to go sightseeing. That said, I think that there is a bus right outside the port that goes to P. Roma. Is that correct? Also, how far of a walk is it from where the ships dock to the port entrance? Sorry about the silly questions, but we have young kids and a limited-mobility person in our party, and it would be great to know these things in advance. Thanks again for your help!

Elena

There is a shuttle for 5 E pp. Sometimes it is slow depends on how many cruise ships on port its not Carnival its the city. They dissapear late at night and very early in the morning. Walk to Piazzale Roma is 15 minutes.

Archived