Door Decorating

roxy83

I have went through and read all of the achives on this subject and it seems like such a fun thing to do. My hubby and I will be celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary while on board. I would love to decorate the door as a surprise to him. My dd (6) will also be with us and I want to make it fun.

Question #1 - Are the Glory doors magnetic?

Question #2 - Any cool ideas that are easy to put together? We are leaving on Saturday.

Thanks in advance!! I would have never have thought to do this!!

You can get a lot of cool things in the Scrapbooking department at Walmart (or the like) I use the scrapbook 'pages' and then decorate them with stickers, and other little trinkets, like those people use for scrapbooking (I dont, but, I buy alot for door decroations)

Have fun!

Does anyone see any reason that this would be a bad idea, and if so, why?...we are going on a small family reunion. We are spread out all over the country. I would like to make a door sign to put on all of our doors something like what I have in my signature.

On the two cruises that I had door decorations, neither were bothered or stolen. To be fair though, they were not THAT exciting that anyone would WANT to steal them.:p

I have visited Wallieworld, DollarTree, and Hobby Lobby for special decorations for this upcoming cruise. I found a magnetic white board and will decorate it with birthday items. I also found some of the magnetic letters that will spell out Happy 21st Birthday Jessica! I fully expect some horseplay with those, but it could be pretty interesting:eek: !

I put up a decoration on our door last July. No one bothered it. I just got scrapbooking paper and sticker letters at the Dollar Tree. It was great because all those doors look the same going down the hallway. It made it very easy for my DDs to find our room at a glance.

When I door decorate I always hang something from the ceiling right outside my door also. This way you can spot your room coming down the hall - lots of times even before you can see the door decorations. I just usually go to the dollar store to pick up stuff and don't forget to pack a small scotch tape dispenser.

Remember to take everything down when you leave - it is not fair to leave that for the cabin stewards.

We always get comments from those staying around us about how they wished they would have thought to decorate their doors. It is fun.

Update - I went to Party City this afternoon and found some cool things to use. I bought cardboard glittered flipflops and fish. I am also going to print out a sign to put on there.

Thanks so much for the great ideas. I will be sure to include a picture of it in our webshots when we get back.:cool:

I have decorated for holidays before - Halloween and Thanksgiving. You can also get those cheap feather boas to put around the door frame. I used a Halloween garland and it really made it easy to find our door down those long hallways. Party stores should have a lot of cheap decorations. You can also find lots of cheap decorations and really cute ones in pirate and tropical themes at orientaltrading.com

:D Thank you all for the GREAT ideas!

I have a group going on a cruise in September aboard the Carnival Glory. One person is celebrating her birthday and a couple that is celebrating their anniversary. Door decorations are a good idea. They are both on the same floor, so it shouldn't be too hard for me to get it done, before they make it to their rooms.

Thanks again!!!:D

For St. Patricks day I found some shamrock "clings" that worked great on our door. All they needed was a little moisture on them and they stayed all week. The room steward was relieved when I showed him how easy I could remove them. (I think he thought they were stickers)

Every once in a while someone would rearrange them on the door. It must have been a child because the ones that were higher were not moved.

I bet craft and party stores would both carry a variety of "clings".

For St. Patricks day I found some shamrock "clings" that worked great on our door. All they needed was a little moisture on them and they stayed all week. The room steward was relieved when I showed him how easy I could remove them. (I think he thought they were stickers)

Every once in a while someone would rearrange them on the door. It must have been a child because the ones that were higher were not moved.

I bet craft and party stores would both carry a variety of "clings".

great idea!

Something that will be seen when looking down the long hallways so you know when you are almost home comes to mind......my tshirt that stated if lost return to room __________ never really cut it, so all I need to remember is the correct deck....and then some door handle bling! BINGO! We used xmas ties on our door knob....they didnt get taken away till the last night.....thankfully by then I knew what elevator to take which way to turn when getting off elevator..and well room number comes to mind....what a great room number!

Does anyone see any reason that this would be a bad idea, and if so, why?...we are going on a small family reunion. We are spread out all over the country. I would like to make a door sign to put on all of our doors something like what I have in my signature.

I downloaded one clean joke for each room each morning of the cruise. I made them large and easy to read with clip art decorations. Each morning I posted a new one on everyone's door in our troop. I bought tropical fun foam shapes and glued magnets on them to decorater around the jokes and to hold them up. I was glad I made extra magnets as many disappeared. People stopped by to read the jokes each day and said Hi or made comments when that saw us in the hall.

I tried a white board with magnetic strips on the back on the Conquest and it kept sliding down the door. Finally i took the magnets of and just left the "sticky" on it... I just pulled it off at the end of the cruise... Is there a special white board that I should have bought that has stronger magnets?

I tried a white board with magnetic strips on the back on the Conquest and it kept sliding down the door. Finally i took the magnets of and just left the "sticky" on it... I just pulled it off at the end of the cruise... Is there a special white board that I should have bought that has stronger magnets?

I just finished decorating the white board that I will be taking and realized that I was probably going to have to add some extra magnets to it. I also thought about the special adhesive that hangs until you are ready to take it off. Has anyone used that? Does it really come completely off when you want it to?

I was thinking about a white board also. I am planning on going to the craft store today at lunch to see what I can find. the flipflops and fish that I bought are adorable. I also have magnetic plastic photo frames at home that I am planning on using as well. My daughter is going to love the "flair" all over the door.

I've decorated our door and our room twice for birthdays and once just so the kids could find the room easier. The kids love it and I can do it for a few dollars with inexpensive things from the dollar store. I've never had any thing messed with, except a balloon taken off our door on the RCI Mariner (and someone was even taking the do not disturb signs on that cruise!) I always clean it up the last night. I use tape on the metal spots some, but clean the residue off (alcohol works well) and I try to use ribbons and looping to hang as much as possible. One bonus I've found is that nobody mistakes our room for their room. In the past I have had more than one person knock on my door while I was asleep because they had the wrong room.

I downloaded one clean joke for each room each morning of the cruise. I made them large and easy to read with clip art decorations. Each morning I posted a new one on everyone's door in our troop. I bought tropical fun foam shapes and glued magnets on them to decorater around the jokes and to hold them up. I was glad I made extra magnets as many disappeared. People stopped by to read the jokes each day and said Hi or made comments when that saw us in the hall.

Now there's a thought! I would have never thought of that one on my own! Maybe I will pay attention to jokes my kids at school tell me this coming school year to find some appropriate ones.

Archived